FR - Sea to Summit Delta Kitchen items - askLarry

  • laurence kirschner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2012
      Hi Gail

      Sorry I'm a little late, but here's the FR on the Sea to Summit items. I had good memories of delicious food as I was writing this! (Sorry for the spacing in the BGT post--be assured that the html version is better...)

      html is at http://tinyurl.com/7rzsad5

      February 4, 2012

      During the Field Report, I used the Sea to Summit Delta Kitchen set on two weekend camping trips. In November, I was
      cabin camping in Newark, Ohio. The weather outside was cloudy, with a low temperature around 30 F (-1 C) and high around
      60 F (15.5 C). However, the cabin had electric heat, and was toasty all the time. The other weekend was the last weekend in
      January, when I was camping in Rock Creek, Ohio, near Cleveland. Low temperature was about 25 F (-4 C) with a high of 35 F
      (2 C) and snowy weather. I stayed in a rustic cabin with a wood stove for heat. The cabin was comfortable during the day,
      but it got chilly at night, particularly the first night when the stove went out overnight.

      On both weekend trips, I brought all of the Sea to Summit eating items, although this is far more that I would bring had
      I been backpacking. I tried to split up my usage of the items to get some experience with all the various Delta Kitchen

      In November, we had eggs and sausage for breakfast (bowl, spork), soup and a sandwich for lunch (bowl, spoon), and Dutch
      oven chicken parmigiana and spaghetti for dinner (plate, spork and spoon). I also tried to make cookies using a trail oven;
      unfortunately, it didn't work so well, so we had delicious cookie dough soup (bowl, spoon). Breakfast the second day was my
      usual oatmeal (bowl, spoon) before leaving for home. During the weekend, I used the cup for cold water as well as the mug
      for hot tea.

      After using the Sea to Summit items for the weekend, I came away with a few impressions. First, I really liked the plate and
      bowl. They are very sturdy. The fact that the plate has a lip means that food does not easily fall off the edge. With both
      the hot food and the hot drinks, I tested to see if the Protex patterning on the base of the Delta items protected my hands
      from burning. I was pleasantly surprised that this was the case. I could easily hold a plate of hot food or hot drink in my
      hands without burning them. I had some minor quibbles with the silverware. First, the knife edge of both the spork and the
      spoon mean that the utensils don't fit like a normal fork or spoon in the hand. Also, although I used the knife edge to cut
      my food, I wasn't sure what to do next since I know had a spoon that was dirty on the back (holding) edge. This wasn't a
      problem when I used the spoon solely as a knife, but might be trouble if I only had one of the utensils. Finally, because
      the plastic is so smooth, it is a snap to clean up.

      For the January trip, we had pancakes and sausage for breakfast (plate, spoon). I used the spoon and the plate, which easily
      held two large pancakes and a couple of sausage links. As shown in the photo, the rounded edges of the plate also held
      plenty of syrup!

      Lunch was chicken and green beans and dinner was salad, lasagna and more green beans. I used the plate for
      each of these meals. For breakfast, we had oatmeal, so I used the bowl for that meal.

      My impressions after this last trip were similarly favorable to the first one. Because it was much colder outside, I drank
      more tea. I can attest to the fact that the insulated mug keeps beverages warm a long time. Even thought I did not put the
      lid on the mug, my tea stayed hot for 2 hours, and was still reasonably warm at about 3 hours when I finally had time to
      drink. This was even somewhat of a drawback, as I needed to add cold water to the mug to enable the tea to cool to a drinkable
      temperature! Although I'm not a huge spork fan, I must say that the tines of the spork worked well, at least for eating
      green beans. I also wanted to comment on the fit between the bowl/plate and the utensils. As noted in the IR, the curve of
      the items is matches so that the bowl/plate can be easily scraped. I found this to work well in practice. Although I was
      not able to completely scrape out all the liquid from my bowl after oatmeal, I was able to get all of the solid parts out,
      making clean up a snap.

      I have put the Delta items in the dishwater after returning home from both trips described above. Aside from the fact that
      the insulated sleeve came off the mug on the second wash, the items otherwise came out fine. I just slipped the sleeve back on
      the mug and it is good to go again.

      To date, I really like the Sea to Summit Delta kitchen pieces. They are lightweight but sturdy. They are well designed and
      also big enough to fit any type of food, meaning that I get to laugh at my partner who tries to eat all of his meals from a

      This concludes my Field Report on the Sea to Summit Delta Kitchen Items. Please check in
      back in about 2 months for my Final report on this item.

      Thanks to Sea to Summit for providing these items for testing, and to BackpackGearTest.org for giving me
      the chance to participate in the evaluation process.

      -larry kirschner