IR - Sea to Summit - TPU Accessory Case - David Wyman

  • Dave Wyman

      TEXT:

      Tester Information

      NAME David Wyman
      EMAIL wyman(AT)wymanhq(DOT)com
      AGE 33
      LOCATION Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
      GENDER Male
      HEIGHT 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      While I've been camping for years, I've only been backpacking for a
      short time. I'm trying to find the right equipment, alternating between
      tent and hammock. My dog usually comes along on the longer hikes, and my
      wife and toddler join me on the shorter ones. I tend to carry more gear
      than I need resulting in a heavier pack, but I'm working on that. When I
      hike with my dog and/or my wife and son, we take it a bit slower,
      stopping frequently to enjoy the forest. I rarely hike fast unless I'm
      trying to make up time.

      Initial Report - January 3, 2012

      Product Information

      Manufacturer Sea to Summit
      Website http://www.seatosummit.com/
      Product TPU Accessory Case
      Year of manufacture 2011
      MSRP N/A

      Features
      (from website) * Totally welded construction - no stitching
      * Watertight triple-fold Velcro closure
      * A touch-screen device will work while inside the case!
      * Welded seams, die cut anchor points
      * Convenient neck strap included
      * Flexible and crease resistant
      * Freeze Proof - Will not crack in extreme cold
      * High strength, PVC free TPU material

      Weight:
      Listed: 0.7 oz (22 g)
      Measured: 1 oz (28 g)
      Size:
      Listed: 4.7" x 6.6" (12 cm x 16.5 cm)
      Measured: 5" x 7.5" (12.5 cm x 19 cm)

      Initial Impressions

      My first impression of this case was that it felt flimsy. The material
      is very thin and it didn't appear much more durable than a basic
      Ziploc® bag. The roll top closure folds over three times and is secured
      by two strips of Velcro. The design of the closure does seem fairly
      robust. The whole case is very lightweight and, despite seeming flimsy,
      appears well made.

      Trying It Out

      The case may seem fragile but, upon stuffing it full of items I might
      normally carry in it (wallet, keys, cell phone, small camera, spare
      matches and fire starter), it held up surprisingly well. It's thin
      material allowed it to stretch a bit to accomodate the various sized
      items and it had a very solid closure even when full.

      The included neck strap works fine for what it is, but the accessory
      case seems a bit too large to hang around my neck when hiking to this
      will likely ride in one of the cargo pockets on my pants or in my pack.
      I can see the strap being useful at night to hold the case in my hammock
      to keep some essentials close at hand.

      Summary

      Likes:
      The Medium size holds a decent amount of items without adding
      significant weight
      Dislikes:
      None so far

      Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Sea to Summit for this opportunity.
    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2012
        Hi David,
        >>It's thin material allowed it to stretch a bit to accomodate the various sized
        items and it had a very solid closure even when full.
        Edit: 'It's' should be 'Its'.  Current convention leaves out any apostrophe.
        EDIT: 'accomodate' should be 'accommodate'

        >>Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Sea to Summit for this opportunity.
        Comment: You may want to invite the reader back in a few months to check out your Field Report.  This is up to you.

        It's good to see a tester from the 'burgh.  I grew up in Beaver County.

        Just a couple of edits and you're good to go.  Feel free to upload when you've made the changes and please delete your test file.

        Go Steelers!

        Nancy