IR: Kombi Guide Gloves - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2012
      Herewith is my Initial Report on the Kombi Guide Gloves.  The HTML version is available for your review via this link: http://snipurl.com/21iieqd

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Kombi%20Guide%20Gloves%20-%20Christensen/

      The text version is included below for your review as well.  Thanks in advance for the comments / suggestions.

      Ryan

      INITIAL REPORT
      January 3, 2012

      Reviewer Information
      Name:  Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  47
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Email:  bigdawgryan(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country:   Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA

      Backpacking Background
      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25. After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago. I also began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children. I am a midweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Product Information:

      The information below came from Kombi's website and product tags.

      Manufacturer:     Kombi
      Manufacturer website:     http://www.kombisports.com
      Place of Manufacture:     Indonesia
      Year Manufactured:     2011
      Materials:

      Exterior:        Soft Shell: 97% Polyester, 3% Spandex Trim & Palm: 100% leather
      Membrane:    100% Polyurethane
      Insulation:    100% Polyester
      Lining:           100% Polyester

      Colors Available:     Black
                                  Black / Wheat (as shown in photo above)

      Warranty

      No Warranty Information Available on the website.

      However, in response to my inquiry regarding Kombi's warranty, I received the following from Customer Service.

      "Kombi will replace any glove that has a defect if it is due to a manufacturer’s defect. We just have the consumer send in the product with a Kombi Return Authorization (RA)# and we inspect the defect."

      MSRP:    $85 US

      Product Specifications
      Manufacturer's Specifications
      Listed Weight:     Not Available

      Tester's Actual Measurements
      Weight: Men's Large
      Right    4.3 oz (122 g)
      Left    4.25 oz (120 g)
      Pair    8.55 oz (244 g)

      Product Description:

      The Kombi Guide is an insulated, waterproof, breathable glove available in men's sizes only. The shell is constructed of a softshell-like fabric. However, the full palm, index finger, finger caps, and knuckle guard is covered in leather. The gloves have short, stretchy, gauntlet cuffs, adjustable nylon webbing wrist straps, and plastic connectors to secure one glove to the other. Additionally, each atop each thumb is what appears to be a microfiber-type fabric which Kombi says serves as a nose wipe. The Guide utilizes Kombi's proprietary waterproof / breathable membrane system known as WaterGuard. Like other waterproof/breathable membranes, WaterGuard is designed to allow vapor to pass from inside to the outside of the glove while preventing water from penetrating from outside in.

      [two photos here]

      The gloves I am testing are completely black in color (as shown in photos above). However, there is a version with black fabric and light tan leather available as well. The gloves each have a double row of elastic stitching around the wrist. On the right glove, just above the wrist strap on the inner edge of the wrist, there is a plastic loop. On the inner edge of the left glove, just above the wrist strap, there is a corresponding plastic clip. The clip and loop are used to secure the gloves to one another. Sewn in the seam of the outer edge of the right glove is a tag with WaterGuard on one side and waterproof/breathable on the other side. In the identical location on the left glove, an identical tag is sewn in the seam. The cuff of the glove extends approximately 2 in (5 cm) beyond the upper elastic. The palm of each glove is covered in leather that wraps up each finger. From the tip of the middle finger to the edge of the cuff, the men's large gloves
      are approximately 11.5 in (29 cm) in length.

      Inside, the gloves have Kombi's Accu-Dri lining. Like the shell material, the lining feels smooth to the touch and comfortable next to the skin. There appears to be a modest amount of insulation in these gloves. I am curious to see how well the insulation protects in colder temperatures. Inside each glove, there is also a 2.25 in (5.7 cm) inner cuff (as shown in the photo above right). I presume this is to help keep both snow and cold out of the glove. Sewn in the hem of the exterior cuff of the right glove are two tags. One lists the materials used in the gloves and where they were manufactured (in both English and French). The other cuff, also in English and French, has a warning, outlined in red, which states:

      CAUTION
      "When removing gloves, pull each finger off individually holding both outer glove and lining. Remove slowly. Your weatherproof insert cannot be sewn to the outer glove. If removed in haste, the lining may be inverted and it will be very difficult to replace."

      Sewn in the hem of the exterior cuff of the left glove is a product tag with the Kombi name, logo, and glove size stitched in blue thread on both sides of the black tag.

      Initial Impression:
      I was initially impressed with the feel of the softshell fabric. This material appears to be similar to that used in softshell jackets, albeit thinner. This fabric is smooth to the touch and if I were not familiar with softshells, I would not intuitively think the material would be water resistant. I really like the stretchiness of the material; this should provide nice fit without binding. I also like the leather-lined palms, finger caps, and knuckle guards.

      Initial Testing:
      My initial testing consisted of a thorough examination. The materials appear to be first class. The workmanship appears to be high quality. I did not find any loose threads, snags, or other imperfections. Next, I tried the gloves on for size. Based on previous experience with other Kombi gloves I own, I requested to test the men's large gloves. The fit is just right, and they feel nice on my hands. I can hardly wait to put these gloves to the test in the cold, wet, windy Idaho winter weather. Hopefully we will have snow nearby soon.

      Initial Pros:

          Lightweight
          Stretchy material
          Leather-lined palms, finger caps, and knuckle guards

      Initial Cons:

          none

      This concludes my Initial Report on the Kombi Guide gloves. Please check back in two months for test results. Thanks to Kombi and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to test these gloves.