IR - Sea to Summit - TPU Zip Top Pouch - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2012
      Coy,

      Thank you for taking the time to edit this! Happy new year!

      > http://bit.ly/sZ2VOL

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      Sea to Summit -- TravellingLight Clear ZipTop Pouch

      Test Series by Derek Hansen

      Initial Report: 2 Jan 2012
      Field Report:
      Long-Term Report:
      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 36
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      MANUFACTURER Sea to Summit
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2011, made in China
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE seatosummit.com
      MSRP N/A
      LISTED FEATURES
      Made of TPU material for long life, durability, and abrasion resistance
      Welded construction with a durable YKK leak resistant zipper
      Grab tags for easy opening and closing
      Includes three 3 fluid ounce and three 1.3 fluid ounce Sea to Summit leak-proof bottles
      MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
      TSA-approved zip-top travel pouch

      MEASUREMENTS
      Specifications WHAT THEY SAY WHAT I SAY
      Weight (Medium) 1 oz (28 g) 0.9 oz (26 g)
      Dimensions (Medium) 8 x 4.5 x 1.5 in (200 x 110 x 45 mm) 8 x 4.5 x 1.5 in (200 x 110 x 45 mm)
      COLORS Black, clear plastic
      SIZES 1 qt (950 ml)
      WARRANTY Lifetime guarantee on all products against manufacturing and material defects. This warranty does not cover wear and tear.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Sea to Summit TravellingLight(tm) Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) Clear ZipTop Pouch is a flexible plastic leak-resistant pouch, specifically designed for conveniently storing 1 qt (950 ml) of liquids to be TSA carry-on compliant.

      The pouch comes with six leak proof bottles: three 1.5 oz (40 ml) bottles; three 3 oz (89 ml) bottles. Each bottle comes with a dropper insert and a screw top lid. Each lid has a nipple in the middle that closes off the dropper hole. The bottles each have a small white area for a hand-written label/inscription.

      The top of the pouch has a leak resistant YKK zipper. This top area has been reinforced with a rugged nylon type material. On each end there are grab tags that help ease the zipper pull. The grab tags also have holes punched in the middle for an accessory strap or clip to be attached.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The zipper opening is easy to handle and works well. The included bottles all fit easily with room to spare. As I am planning to take this case and its contents backpacking, I'm still deciding what I'll store inside. I can see that it would be ideal for plane travel. For backpacking, I know I could use the leak proof bottles for storing miscellaneous spices perhaps, or lotion, bug repellant, first-aid items, biodegradable soap, or even water purification chemicals.

      This could be a great piece when I backpack with a group of Boy Scouts, for example, but I need some time to strategize what I want to put in the bag. For example, I want to be careful about what types of things I mix in the bag so in the off chance of an accidental spill, I'm not mixing ingestible food items with non-edible chemicals.

      INITIAL SUMMARY

      PRO--Easy to open and close zipper. Handy leak-proof bottles to store a variety of contents.

      CON--None so far.

      I would like to thank Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2012
        Hello Derek, and a happy new year back atcha. Very nice IR! I have always been impressed with the layout of your reports. Just one edit and couple of comments.

        Edit: the seatosummit link goes to the Selk Bag site.

        comment: where you call the zipper grab tag I call it a pull tab. However, since they call it that and it is a quote from the manufacture...I guess it is OK...LOL

        comment: where you use ingestible I'd use digestible or edible. However, yours makes sense. Just not a term I hear much.

        Coy Boy