IR - Sea to Summit - TPU Map Case - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2012

      Thank you for editing this! Happy new year!

      > http://bit.ly/sqbSOq

      # # #

      Sea to Summit -- TPU Guide Map Case

      Test Series by Derek Hansen

      Initial Report: 2 Jan 2012
      Field Report:
      Long-Term Report:

      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 36
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      MANUFACTURER Sea to Summit
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2011, made in China
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE seatosummit.com
      MSRP N/A
      Lightweight, high performance design
      Totally welded construction - no stitches
      Individually tested - water and dust proof
      Super strong Ziploc closure
      Anchor points on corners for versatile attachment
      Detachable neck strap
      Flexible and crease resistant - can be folded to fit in a pocket
      UV resistant for superior long lasting clarity
      Abrasion resistant, high strength, PVC free, TPU material

      Specifications WHAT THEY SAY WHAT I SAY
      Weight (Medium) 2.7 oz (78 g) 2.5 oz (71 g)
      Dimensions (Medium) 11.1 x 13.07 in (282 x 332 mm) 11.375 x 13.75 in (289 x 349.25 mm)
      COLORS Black, clear plastic
      SIZES Small, Medium, Large
      WARRANTY Lifetime guarantee on all products against manufacturing and material defects. This warranty does not cover wear and tear.

      The Sea to Summit Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) map case is a large, flexible plastic waterproof case, designed for protecting a map, and other flat or less bulky items.

      The top and bottom of the case is reinforced with a stronger nylon type material. The opening uses a Ziplock hook-and-loop fastener. On each corner on the reinforced areas there is a single hole punched for an accessory clip (e.g., carabiner) or strap to be attached (a total of four holes). A detachable neck strap was also included.

      On the bottom edge, there are two tabs of hook-and-loop fastener, and corresponding tabs are on the top edge. When the case is folded in half, the top and bottom edges hold together.

      I am testing the medium-sized map case. I took a regular USGS topographic and trimmed off the excess border and folded it down to fit. To get the maximum visible area, I had to fold the map down to a 11 x 10.5 in (28 x 27 cm) size to fit inside.

      I think this case is great so far. I love the size because I can get a sizable section of the map and several miles of trail in the viewing area without too much trouble. The fact that this case can fold down and stay folded with the hook-and-loop fasteners is a plus because it means I can fit the case more easily while packing and hiking and still get a large view.

      The Ziplock top seals easily and feels very durable. I don't have much use for the lanyard because I don't like hanging things from my neck and the extra cord just gets in the way. It isn't difficult to attach the cord, but I removed it after I tried it on.

      PRO--Easy to open and close. Large, clear plastic with no printing to obscure contents.

      CON--None so far.

      I would like to thank Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.