IR - Sea to Summit - TPU Accessory Case - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2012
      Nancy,

      Here is my IR for the accessory case. Thank you for editing!

      > http://bit.ly/snwemb

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      Sea to Summit -- TPU Accessory Case

      Test Series by Derek Hansen

      Initial Report: 2 Jan 2012
      Field Report:
      Long-Term Report:
      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 36
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      MANUFACTURER Sea to Summit
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2011, made in China
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE seatosummit.com
      MSRP N/A
      LISTED FEATURES
      Totally welded construction - no stitching
      Watertight triple-fold Velcro closure
      A touch-screen device will work while inside the case!
      Welded seams, die cut anchor points
      Convenient neck strap included
      Flexible and crease resistant
      Freeze Proof - Will not crack in extreme cold
      High strength, PVC free TPU material
      MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
      Waterproof enough for brief submersion for electronics.

      MEASUREMENTS
      Specifications WHAT THEY SAY WHAT I SAY
      Weight (Medium) 0.7 oz (20 g) 0.8 oz (23 g)
      Dimensions (Medium) 4.7 x 6.6 in (120 x 165 mm) 5 x 8 in (127 x 203 mm) - including roll top - usable height 6.25 in (159 mm)
      COLORS Black, clear plastic
      SIZES Small, Medium, Large
      WARRANTY Lifetime guarantee on all products against manufacturing and material defects. This warranty does not cover wear and tear.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Sea to Summit Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) accessory case is an unassuming flexible plastic waterproof case, designed for protecting small items from dust, water, and abrasion.

      The top of the case is made from a durable material. The top rolls four times and secures with hook-and-loop fasteners for a watertight seal.

      There is a small hole where a detachable, adjustable neck strap can be attached. A larger hole is situated on the opposite end where a mini carabiner can be used, for example, to clip the accessory case to a pack.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I am testing the medium-sized accessory case. The first thing I wanted to test was my iPhone inside. To my delight, the touch screen worked perfectly through the plastic. I often use a small, waterproof case with my iPhone, so this will be great. The size is just right for the iPhone, but the case I have can fit a bit more, if I need, like some small paper or section of a map.

      The roll top is interesting. I have to roll up the top a certain way to ensure that the hook-and-loop fasteners are exposed correctly to make it all attach and seal up. It isn't difficult to figure out, but it is engineered very specifically.

      While I attached the neck strap to test it out, I promptly removed it afterwards. It's pretty easy to attach, but I don't like things hanging around my neck as I find I get too many things snagged with backpack and sternum strap, and clothing layers to get in the way. Most likely, this pouch will protect my electronics or a small map and will fit in an outer pocket on my backpack or an inner pocket on a jacket or outer shell.

      INITIAL SUMMARY

      PRO--Great for small items; works great with my iPhone.

      CON--None so far.

      I would like to thank Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2012
        Hi Derek,

        You always make my job so easy.  Very nice report.  Just one thing and you are clear to upload.

        >>MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE seatosummit.com
        EDIT:  The link goes to selk bag website.

        Comment: That is way cool that your iPhone works through the case.  I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this!

        Happy New Year!

        Nancy