IR: Kombi Guide Gloves - Mike Curry

  • the_fish_guy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2012
      See below for my IR on the Kombi Guide Gloves. Html can be found at http://tinyurl.com/IRKombiCurry

      Looking forward to your edits!

      Mike C.

      KOMBI GUIDE GLOVES
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE CURRY
      IR
      January 02, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Curry
      EMAIL: thefishguy@...
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Aberdeen, Washington
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 210 lb (95.30 kg)

      I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for the last 25 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, but these days (having small kids) most of my trips run on the shorter side of things, and tend to be in the temperate rainforest. While I've carried packs (with winter climbing gear) in excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I get the more minimalist I become.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Kombi<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "tIMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo Courtesy of Manufacturer (Black/Wheat shown)">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.kombisports.com" LINK TEXT = "www.kombisports.com">>
      MSRP: US $85.00
      Listed Weight: None
      Measured Weight: 9 oz (255 g)
      Other details:

      Size tested: XL
      Color tested: Black

      From Manufacturer:

      Style M 1/4544
      Sizes S, M, L, XL

      Shell:
      - Softshell & Leather
      - Full leather palm
      - New 4-way stretch cuff
      - X-Loft

      Insulation:
      - Waterguard Insert
      - X-Loft on palm
      - Accu-Dri Lining

      Features- Designed in collaboration with Points North Heli guide Kevin Quinn
      - Softshell & Leather combination for optimal balance of dexterity and durability
      - Simple open mid length cuff for easy on and off without an extraneous hardware
      - New 4-way stretch cuff won't collect snow
      - Adjustable Wrist Strap
      - Durable leather knuckle protection
      - Nose wipe on thumb
      - Thumb dexterity stretch panel
      - Full finger wrap caps
      - Thumb saddle reinforcement

      Colors:

      - Black
      - Black / Wheat

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Kombi Guide gloves arrived in their retail packaging. My initial impression from simply looking at them is that they were a nice-looking glove that, while styled slightly differently than other gloves I've owned, looked largely the same: four fingers, a thumb, nice stretchy cuff, strap to tighten at the wrist, etc.. All the things I expect to find when I look at gloves.

      As I began to look the gloves over more closely, I realized these gloves were very different in two ways from other gloves I own. First, they are made out of very high-quality feeling materials that are supple yet feel substantial. The nose wipe feels like chamois. The leather feels super-soft and flexible yet substantial. The stretch cuff stretches well and feels silky, and the lining feels downright luxurious. In all, the materials seemed fantastic.

      The second thing that seemed different than other gloves I owned is how well constructed the gloves seem to be. Stitching is neat and everything about the gloves shows a high attention to detail in their construction.

      Most important, for me, are the leather reinforced palm, thumb, and fingers, and the fact that the leather generously covers areas other gloves I own doesn't, such as wrapping around the tips of the fingers. I also like the nose wipe, which is very soft.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The right glove contained the following caution stitched to it:

      "Caution: When removing gloves, pull each finger off individually holding both the outer glove and lining. Remove slowly. Your weather proof insert cannot be sewn to the outer glove. If removed in haste the lining may be inverted and it will be very difficult to replace."

      This seems straightforward enough for me.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Sliding my hands into the gloves the first time, I discovered these gloves were very, very different than any others I own. They are among the best fitting gloves I've ever had on, but what really set them apart was their absolute comfort. My hands felt wrapped in luxury. The lining felt soft, and the insulation layers felt almost like the glove was filled with gel as I gripped things. It is a fantastic feeling glove.

      I had the opportunity to wear the gloves in the pouring rain on a hike that was just above freezing, and found them on that trip to not only be completely waterproof, but almost annoyingly warm. My dexterity seemed at least as good as with other gloves I've owned.

      Taking the gloves off, I heeded the caution to go slow, and while I didn't have any problems, I could feel the lining slide as I drew my fingers out. I can see where it would be possible to invert the lining, but don't see it as being a major risk or something requiring a high degree of caution. Simple awareness seems enough so far.

      SUMMARY

      My initial experience with the Kombi Guide Gloves have left me very satisfied. They appear to be exceptionally well-made out of high-quality materials that seem both comfortable and durable. They are clearly more than adequate at temperatures right around freezing, and so far have proven completely waterproof, even in the pouring rain.

      I'd like to thank Kombi and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Guide gloves. I will append my field report to this report in approximately two months. Please check back at that time for additional information. This concludes my initial report.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.