FR - Wolverine Fulcrum Boots - Chad P

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2012
      Brett,
      Here is my FR for the Wolverine Fulcrum boots. I hope that I caught most
      of the errors for you.
      Thanks for your time & edits,
      Chad
      http://tinyurl.com/7ouxl33 <http://tinyurl.com/7ouxl33>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS Since my initial report, I have been on
      four day hikes and one overnight trip at Big Hill Pond State Park. These
      trips have been relatively short and I have only logged 30 mi (48 km) on
      the trail with the Wolverine Fulcrum boots. The longest single hike of
      these was a 9 mi (14.5 km) hike, with the remaining distance
      accumulating during my other shorter trips. Other than this, I have put
      another 12 to 15 mi (19 to 24 km) on the boots thanks to our temporary
      parking conditions at work. (This was a great break in for the boots
      though!)
      Most of my hikes took place in dry conditions, however, two of the hikes
      were early morning hikes and I ended up hiking through some wet grass
      and brush along the sides of the trail. The trails have consisted of
      hard packed dirt, which sometimes consisted of rocks or protruding
      roots, although, considering the time of year, much of the trail is also
      covered in a nice soft bed of fallen leaves. Temperatures have ranged
      from around 35 to 85 F (1 to 29 C). The elevation at Big Hill Pond State
      park ranges from 380 to 611 ft (116 to 186 m), so there is little
      elevation change.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>My pack weight
      on my day hikes were between 6 to 10 lbs (2.7 to 4.5 kg) and 23 lbs
      (10.4 kg) during my overnight trip. During each of these hikes I wore
      the same brand of medium-weight, mid-calf wool hiking socks with the
      boots.
      As well, like I said, due to our current parking conditions at my work,
      we have about a 0.25 mi (0.4 km) walk from the parking area to the
      building I work in which I walk twice a day, five days a week (or more).
      Much of the walk is on concrete, but about a third of the walk is on
      gravel and hard packed dirt. Temperatures have ranged between 26 to 90 F
      (-3 to 32 C). The conditions have ranged from small amounts of snow, to
      large amounts of rain to warm, dry days. PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD My
      biggest concern when receiving the boots was the rough spot on the
      inside of the toe box on the right boot and so far all is well. Neither
      the spot, or the area around the spot, seems to have worsened or to be
      evolving into anything that is worth worrying about. However, I will be
      sure to keep an eye on this spot throughout the rest of the testing
      series.
      Since most of my hikes have been rather short hikes, the boots have at
      this point been successfully broken in. Both the soles and the top of
      the boots were a little stiff upon my initial impression, but after only
      a week or two of moderate use, both the soles and the top of the boots
      felt to be a bit less firm and more comfortable. (Actually, I was a bit
      surprised that it only took the limited amount of use to break the boots
      in as well as they feel that they are!) Also, with use the laces have
      stared nesting just below the top of the tongue, causing the top of the
      tongue to flare out slightly, which has also increased the comfort. As
      well, the laces have done a great job at holding tight. Even on my
      longer hike during this time period, I never once had to stop and retie
      the laces!
      I initially had a bit of concern about the amount of room in the toe
      box, but like I mentioned in the initial report, I have been wearing
      some medium-weight wool socks and so far the amount of room has not been
      a problem at all. Actually, since "breaking them in" the boots have been
      very, very comfortable. Of course, the longest hike I have used these
      boots on was only 9 mi (14.5 km), and that was on pretty easy terrain,
      but not once did I feel a hint of a hot spot. However, during the next
      phase of this testing series I have a longer multi-day hike planned so I
      should see how they do better then.
      Concerning the ICS disc, being that I have a normal arch and am a normal
      pronator I have only worn the boots with the disc in the "Firm" setting
      and the "Cushion" setting. However, I quickly decided that the "firm"
      setting was too firm for my liking and changed the disc setting back to
      "Cushion." I have found that I am really happy with the fit and comfort
      of wearing these boots with the disc in the "Cushion" setting. The
      remainder of my testing will more than likely be done in this setting.
      I have not had any issues with water coming into the boots and while
      most of my trail time has been on dry trail, I have done my share of
      puddle stomping with them on and have walked away with warm, dry feet!
      As well, the boots have proven to be quite warm while wearing my wool
      socks in temperatures as low as 26 F (-3 C).
      I have been very happy with the way these boots have fit and the amount
      of comfort that they have provided me. Many of my initial concerns have
      been washed away during this phase of the testing period, however, there
      are still hang-up's that I have with the boots...
      Even though the boots have softened up and have been broken in, getting
      the boots on and off is still a little harder that I would like. I still
      wish that Wolverine had incorporated either the open-eyelets at the top
      of the boots or the heel strap at the back. With some of my other boots
      that has open-eyelets at the top, I can almost jump right into them from
      inside my tent, or hammock, but with these there is a bit of fiddle
      factor to consider. The best option that I can come up with these so far
      is to simply pull hard on my laces when removing the boots so that the
      top will open up as much as possible.
      The only other real hang-up I have with these boots is the weight.
      Simply put, these boots are heavy! Granted they are a mid weight hiking
      boot, it seems that most of the weight is coming from the tray that
      holds the ICS disc as well as from the disc itself. If this is the case,
      it would be nice to see Wolverine use a different, lighter material to
      drop even a small amount of weight from these boots. Regardless, these
      are the heaviest boots I have worn, and I can tell it with each step,
      and so far I can't say that I have really gotten used to the weight.
      SUMMARY I have come to like these boots quite a lot. In the beginning I
      had a few concerns, but most of those have been vanished after a little
      use. However, there are still a few things that keep them from being
      perfect for me...<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>LIKES:
      1. Easy/quick break-in.2. Laces hold tight.3. Very comfortable fit.4. No
      hot spots (so far).5. Keeps my feet dry.6. Keeps my feet warm.7. Easy to
      clean.
      CONCERNS:
      1. Rough spot on the inside of the toe box on the right boot.2. Hard to
      put on or remove boots due to lack of open-eyelets or a heels loop.3.
      These boots are heavy.
      So, I will take these boots with me on my travels during the next 2
      months. So be sure to check back near the end of February to see how the
      boots have treated me during this time. Until then, I would like to
      extend my thanks to Wolverine World Wide and BackpackGearTest.org for
      giving me the opportunity to test these boots out. This report was
      created with the BGT Report Generator.Copyright 2012. All rights
      reserved.