Re: Attn: Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
      Kathy,
      I'm a bit at loss here, I see no side scrolling on my screen when I view the report online. I re-sized the pictures to fit the 1024 format. The top two are a total width of 1024 and the lower are a total of 960. Am I seeing a different screen because I use a Mac? Should I omit the pictures all together? Again I apologize for the discrepancy and I am happy to work it out. Thanks.

      > Alex,
      >
      > Your report still requires scrolling. Please fix this and re-upload.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Kathy

    • Jennifer Pope
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
        I usually limit my pictures to about 600 pixels wide.

        Jennifer

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" <kathy@...>
        wrote:

        > Alex,
        >
        > Your report still requires scrolling. Please fix this and re-upload.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Kathy

      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
          I believe the problem lies in the individuals browser. Using Chrome, the
          pictures 'split' to separate lines, almost like have a <br> in between, when
          the browser window shrinks. IE & Firefox do not operate this way. One way to
          check is to use a plugin for firefox or chrome called Web Developer, it's in
          the extensions or plugins web page.

          Unfortunately, while the size of your pictures may indeed add up to 1024,
          this doesn't mean that the browser 'viewable area; is 1024. Think of it like
          this... if you truly have a 1024 display window, then you're losing
          approximately 14 px on either side for the browser frame, then you're losing
          another 6-10 px on the right side of the window for white space so the text
          isn't directly next to the border. In all.... you don't really get 1024 to
          work with, that's why most reviewers give approximately 40-60 px of 'working
          space' for the browser and leave their reports around 980 or so .

          AB

          > Kathy,
          > I'm a bit at loss here, I see no side scrolling on my screen when I view
          the
          > report online. I re-sized the pictures to fit the 1024 format. The top
          two are
          > a total width of 1024 and the lower are a total of 960. Am I seeing a
          different
          > screen because I use a Mac? Should I omit the pictures all together?
          Again I
          > apologize for the discrepancy and I am happy to work it out. Thanks.
          >
          > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" <kathy@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Alex,
          > >
          > > Your report still requires scrolling. Please fix this and re-upload.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Kathy

        • Lori
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
            I use a Mac. The photos in Alex's report do force wrapping in
            Firefox. They are too big.

            I use Graphic Converter to resize all photos to consistent sizes -
            either 300 x 500 or 500 x 300 pixels. That does away with the wrapping.

            On Jan 2, 2012, at 6:18 PM, Andrew Buskov wrote:

> [...]
            > family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span
            > { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform:
            > uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration:
            > none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity
            > span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear:
            > both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding:
            > 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration:
            > none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach
            > label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a
            > { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold
            > { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a
            > { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-
            > weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family:
            > Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-
            > right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }
            > div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title
            > a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-
            > decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active,
            > div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-
            > decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts
            > { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight:
            > normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0
            > 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; }
            > #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px;
            > overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color:
            > #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center;
            > white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size:
            > 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; }
            > #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/
            > margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size:
            > 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size:
            > small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit;
            > font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99%
            > Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:
            > 115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height:
            > 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mlmsg a
            > { color: #1E66AE; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-
            > msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-
            > reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco
            > { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a
            > { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li
            > { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-
            > sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-
            > family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text
            > tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-
          • Kathy Waters
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
              Alex,

              I know this is a very confusing issue with so many browsers, screens, etc. One way to check on how your report will look on various screens is to go to http://www.screen-resolution.com/ and insert the URL for the test file and check it out at 1024. I'm "assuming" this will work with a MAC as well as a PC.

              Thanks for working so hard on this. As a rule of thumb, I personally never use a picture (or combination of pictures) bigger than 800. It saves my sanity (a bit).

              Happy New Year!

              I'm a bit at loss here, I see no side scrolling on my screen when I view the report online. I re-sized the pictures to fit the 1024 format. The top two are a total width of 1024 and the lower are a total of 960. Am I seeing a different screen because I use a Mac? Should I omit the pictures all together? Again I apologize for the discrepancy and I am happy to work it out. Thanks.

              > Alex,
              >
              > Your report still requires scrolling. Please fix this and re-upload.
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Kathy

            • Andrew Buskov
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
                NOTE: This does not seem to work with Chrome so install Firefox or something
                else if you're using Chrome as your default browser.

                AB

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
                  I would like to thank you all for your input. I have to admit that creating HTML was a foreign language to me a few months ago, and I am only barely getting it now. The page at http://www.screen-resolution.com/ doesn't seem to want to work for me, but I found that I can easily set my NVU screen to 1024, and I see what you mean about the scrolling. Now I can build the HTML in the size that it's viewed in. I will repost the report here to be sure its alright before posting to the BGT site again. As soon as I can figure out how to paste text alongside my pictures, I think I will be able to create much better looking reports. I can put that inquiry in the help group page if I don't figure it out soon. Thanks again to everyone, it's great to know that there are people out there to help me out with this.