LTR - Ryders Defcon Sunglasss - Kristine Mar

  • kmar546
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2012
      Hi Richard,

      Happy New Year! Enclosed is my LTR for the Ryder Defcon Sunglasses. A copy of the html file can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/6nqjbw3

      I look forward to receiving your edits...

      Kristine

      Long Term Report - January 2, 2012

      Field Conditions:

      In addition to the testing reported in October, I continued to wear the Defcon Ryder sunglasses at least 2-3 times a week over the last few months on day hikes, bike rides, jogging and for general use while walking around town. I went on approximately four day hikes at various state parks, wildlife sanctuaries, and nature reserves in the states of New York and Connecticut which ranged in distance from 3 to 10 miles (5 to 16 km) with maximum elevation gains of 1500 ft (457m). The bike rides were all in Manhattan and ranged from 5 to 15 miles (8 to 19 km) on mostly flat terrain and there were about six bike rides since July. I also included approximately ten jogs during this test period which took place in Manhattan and ranged from 3-5 miles (5 to 8 km) also on mostly flat terrain. I also wore the sunglasses while driving or while walking about town on errands. The temperature throughout the test period ranged from 35F to 60F (2C to 16C) and the conditions were usually sunny with some cloudy days, but no rain.

      Observations:

      My impressions of the Ryders Defcon sunglasses have not changed from the previous test period. I still feel that they are a durable, comfortable, lightweight pair of sunglasses which are excellent for most outdoor pursuits. I still feel as if the lenses are a little dark for low light conditions, especially when hiking in forested areas, but in bright light conditions, these sunglasses performed excellently for me. For this last test period, I included some jogging while wearing the sunglasses to further test the non-slip nose and temple pads, since I seem to perspire quite a bit, especially on my nose and face,while I jog. Even with sweating and perspiring, directly under the sunglasses, they did manage to remain on my face without slipping or fogging up during my jogs. I found that the temple pads were especially comfortable, as most sunglasses seem to irritate my ear lobes after having them on for a while.

      During the test period, I felt like the polarized lenses provided crisp clear vision, with no noticeable distortion and the shape of the frame did a good job of protecting my eyes by blocking the sun from all angles.

      I did not like the case which came with the sunglasses as I felt it was too bulky and not practical. The case did not fit easily into my pocket or back pack, so many times I would use a soft case, or put the glasses directly into my pocket. Even with a soft case, the lenses remained scratch-free and the frame never got bent out of shape.

      Overall, I really like these sunglasses for active outdoor pursuits. While the lenses that I tested are a little dark for low-light conditions, the sunglasses did an excellent job in protecting my eyes from the sunlight in bright conditions. The frames are very lightweight and durable, but yet soft enough to be flexible to fit nicely on my face. The non-slip nose pad and temple pads are a great feature which provide added comfort especially on the ears, while preventing slippage on the nose, especially for those of us who tend to perspire a lot during some activities.

      I look forward to continue using these sunglasses as one of my primary sunglasses for active outdoor pursuits.

      Things I like:

      - Comfortable lightweight fit
      - Great design to block out light
      - Excellent lenses

      Things I don't like:

      - The design of the case that came with the sunglasses

      This concludes my Long Term Report on the Ryders Defcon Sunglasses. I would like to thank Ryders and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test this item.