FR-Tilley - Wool Cap-Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2011
      Jerry,
      Link to test folder and text below, many thanks.Mike
      http://tinyurl.com/7dod986
      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a> FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>Overnight on the highest peak in Vermont, Mt. Mansfield elevation 4395 ft (1340 m).  Camped at Taft Lodge at 3600 ft (1097 m).Weather encountered on Day 1 - Temperature a high of 44 F (7 C) and low of 31 F (-1 C), with a 0.5 in (1.25 cm) of sporadic rain and non stop fog with light winds turning into 25 mph (40 kph) gust with snowfall at and above treeline.Day 2 - Temperature a high of 46 F (8 C) and low of 31 F (-1 C), clouds breaking early and skies turning partly sunny with light breeze.
      Terrain traveled varied with change in elevation.  The trail began in dense hardwood forest with many muddy and root strewn sections.  As the trail climbs many areas of large, bare rock slabs are covered, some vertically.  Once at treeline following the trail involves scrambling over large rocks and boulders.  Nearing the summit the trail crosses the largest of three alpine tundras in Vermont at about 200 acres (81 ha).  Here the trail is bare rock, many having very limited traction or wood puncheons.

      Two separate day hikes on the Appalachian Trail, one in Vermont and one in New Hampshire.Day 1-temperature of 45 F (7 C) and mostly sunny with light winds.  5 mi (8 km) of trail hiked with an elevation of 500 - 1300 ft (150 - 400 km).  A thick layer of leaves covered the trail changing to pine needles after a steep rocky climb.  This was a shorter hike due to my pack load, my 24 lbs (11 kg) three year old daughter.Day 2-started early with a temperature of 26 F (-3 C) and rose to 40 F (4 C) by the end of the day.  There was abundant sun with light winds.  In the shade the ground remained frozen.  12 mi (19 km) of trail with 900 - 1700 ft (270 - 500 m) of elevation through mixed hardwood forest.

      Day hike on The Pogue trails, Woodstock, Vermont.  It was sunny but windy, the temperature was 28 to 38 F (-2 to 3 C).The trails here become a cross country ski area in winter.  This was a little recon as I am eagerly awaiting the overdue snow.  Terrain gentle rolls up and down as it winds the way up the hills surrounding the pond.  10 mi (16 km) over elevations of  1000 - 1600 ft (300 - 480 m) through hard and soft wood forest.

       PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD I have worn the Tec Wool Cap almost everyday since receiving it.  It has broken in nicely, no longer feeling snug but has never blown off.  The fit and feel is very comfortable.  The styling is great making it versatile enough to wear anywhere.  While on trail and around town several compliments have been given to the cap.  More importantly its performance has been unbeatable.
      While hiking in a light rain that turned to snow at higher elevations the Tec Wool Cap kept my head warm and completely dry.  At first the rain beaded up and rolled off.  As the day wore on the exterior of the cap felt wet but never soaked through to the interior.  On this same hike I past a couple of hikers coming down from the summit as I was going over.  We were above the treeline and the winds were increasing.  As we pasted they offered the friendly advice to cover up as the winds were stronger and colder at the top.  Within a few steps the winds just about doubled in speed so I extended the ear warmers from inside the cap and felt totally protected from the wind.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>The Tec Wool Cap has been comfortable in all temperatures worn.  I do perceive a difference in warmth in the cap when moving between differences in air temperatures.  The only time I felt too warm was while hiking steady at temperatures of 45
      F (7 C) or higher, I broke a light sweat.  The cap absorbed or wicked most of the moisture away.  I removed the cap several times to vent some heat.  At these times I kept looking for a way to easily stow the cap.  I resisted stuffing it into my pack, not wanting to change the caps shape.  I wish the Tec Wool had a loop or the ability to some way  attach to my pack or belt loop.
      I have used the pocket inside the Tec Wool to hold my ID and a small amount of cash.  This was a convenient and well concealed location.  But I was not completely convinced a strong gust would not blow the cap away.  Then after hiking a few hours I forgot where I had put my ID and cash.
      The one feature I had not given much attention has turned out to be quite useful is the brim.  I have thought of shielding my face from the elements with my hand or sunglasses the norm when wearing my usual fleece hat.  The brim has been very nice and welcome change in both the rain and the sun. SUMMARY The Tec Wool Cap is my new favorite cold weather hat.  The materials and construction are of good quality.  The level of protection from the elements it provides is exceptional.  It has performed well in a wide range of conditions.  I am eager to see how the Tec Wool perform in the colder temperatures to come.

      This concludes my Field Report.  Please check back for the Long-Term Report in a couple of months.I would like to thank Tilley Endurables and BackPackGearTest.org for making this test series possible.   This report was created with the BGT Report Generator.Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2011
        Nice
        report
        As
        usual, EDIT - edit, edit - change to something like that, comment - just that.
        Upload
        when edits are done and delete from test folder.
        "As we pasted they offered the friendly advice to cover up as the winds were
        stronger and colder at the top."
        EDIT "passed"

        "I am eager to see how the
        Tec Wool perform in the colder temperatures to come."
        EDIT "performs"

        .