IR - THE ULTIMATE HANG - STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2011
      Ray,

      I love the book. I'm ready to put some of the new knowledge to good use! Tell me what to work on!

      ~Steve

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/ug52h

      or

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20THE%20ULTIMATE%20HANG%20-%20STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      THE ULTIMATE HANG
      TEST SERIES BY STEVEN M. KIDD
      IR
      December 04, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 39
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last several years I have become a hammock camping enthusiast. I generally go on one or two night outings and try to keep my pack under 25 lb (11 kg) even in the winter.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image Courtesy Derek Hansen">>
      Full Title: "THE ULTIMATE HANG: An Illustrated Guide to Hammock Camping"
      Author & Illustrator: Derek Hansen
      Publisher: Hansen Outdoors Publishing
      Year of Original Publish: 2011
      ISBN-13: 978-1466263680
      ISBN-10: 1466263687
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://theultimatehang.com">>
      List Price: US $14.95
      Book Dimensions: 6 x 9 x 0.375 in (23 x 15 x 0.95 cm)
      Materials: Paperback Book (Also Available in a Kindle Edition)

      As noted on the Publisher's website and Back cover: Get off the rocks, slugs, and roots and discover the best "tent" you'll ever sleep in, whether you're thru-hiking the AT or over-nighting at your local state park. Learn how to stay dry, warm, and bug free whether you've purchased an all-in-one kit or you've assembled your own system.

      About The Author

      Derek Hansen is a lightweight backpacker, Scoutmaster, and "hammock enthusiast" who enjoyed his first hammock hang at age 14 at a Boy Scout high adventure base. When he's not out testing outdoor gear, he enjoys reading and spending time with his family.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I was extremely excited to review this book, as within the last few years I've become a dedicated hammock camper. Sometime back I was on the trail with a fellow BGT tester, Coy Boy Starnes, and he introduced me to the concept. At first I thought he was insane, as severe storms were headed our way and I knew he'd be soaked before the night was over. Amazingly he stayed dry, appeared comfortable and was packing minimal weight...so I scratched my head, went home and an obsession was born.

      Thus, in the last few years I've navigated through trials and tribulations evolving from a novice to a somewhat experienced hammock camper. Along the way I've fought my way through "Cold Butt Syndrome" (CBS), struggled in and out of sleeping bags and overcome a myriad of other mistakes the neophyte hammocker endures. Along the way a website for enthusiasts called <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://hammockforums.net" LINK TEXT = "Hammock Forums">> smoothed the way.

      I mention this because before I even dove into the book I noticed nothing but rave introductory reviews from Cottage Industry gear suppliers and experienced hammock campers that I've either personally done business with, or from whom I've gleaned invaluable experience. Approval from names like Adam "Stormcrow" Hurst, Stuart "Smokebait" Raike and Sean "Shug" Emery probably mean little to the average reader, but to a hammock enthusiast like me these recommendations carry weight.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Illustrations as basic as 'Your 1st Entry"">>
      The book appears to be primarily aimed to an audience of newly inspired hammock campers that prefer to forego many of the aforementioned (CBS-like) mishaps that I endured when entering this camping venue. However, the author suggests that even the experienced hammock enthusiast may learn or even recall a few things when digesting the read. I attest, I did both.

      Self Illustrated, the book has over 200 images that both light-heartedly and instructively guide the reader through the basics of achieving "The Ultimate Hang". It appears to be an objective and non-biased attempt to instruct the reader on all the basics needed to become successful at this activity. The author occasionally mentions his preferred techniques and methods, but for the most part he tends to openly explain techniques and products available that encompass everything from DIY (Do It Yourself), to major vendors and down to the small cottage industry suppliers that tend to encapsulate this relaxing method of rest.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Illustrating the more advanced "Double Hang"">>
      It truly appears the author wants to share ways to extend this often shrouded and quirky method of camping to the masses. I was also impressed that he incorporated the seven principles of Leave No Trace into the read. An Eagle Scout myself, I suppose it is not surprising that a former Scout and current Scoutmaster would look to educate those about the beauty of nature while simultaneously attempting to protect environment. I applaud this section of the book that many certainly wouldn't have added.

      Another feature I noticed throughout various sections of the book were the incorporation of QR Codes that can be scanned by a Smartphone leading the reader to additional resources and further reading on the topic. I really thought that was a nice touch. In the appendices Mr. Hansen has also added a list of retailers and suppliers for those interested in furthering their hammock knowledge. It even breaks down what key hammocking items each vendor offers.

      To summarize this initial portion of the review, I will confirm I've completed what I find to be a quick and absorbing read in just one evening. Although I entered the DIY and small vendor world of items like whoopie slings and under quilts sometime ago, I'm excited to state I've definitely already learned about several new techniques and products that I plan to adapt into my future hammock camping arsenal. Some will be simple tweaks to what I currently do in the woods. Others will incorporate a recently acquired mainstream lightweight hammock for winter use as well as several cottage industry supplies to adapt both my hammock and tarp suspension. Please check back in late winter to learn more in depth how this book and some of the items I've acquired due to the read have changed my hammock camping experience.

      My sincere thanks go out to Derek Hansen and BackPackGeartest.org for providing me with a chance to review "The Ultimate Hang".

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2011
        Hi Steve,

        Great job on your IR. I have some edits for you and shall see you in a couple months or so.

        Ray

        *** Sometime back I was on the trail with a fellow BGT tester,

        EDIT: while it is OK for us to use BGT amongst ourselves Jerry prefers to stick with BackpackGearTest.org when referring to it in the reports.

        *** Along the way a website for enthusiasts called Hammock Forums smoothed the way.

        EDIT: the name is fine, but we are not allowed to have links other than to the manufacturer in our reports. Please remove the hyperlink before uploading.

        *** I applaud this section of the book that many certainly wouldn't have added.

        EDIT: it is fine to applaud the section, but don't speculate on what others would have done.

        ***Another feature I noticed throughout various sections of the book were the incorporation of QR Codes

        EDIT: What is QR?