IR - The Ultimate Hang - Kurt Papke

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2011
      For your editing pleasure Ray, I respectfully submit my IR of the
      Ultimate Hang. HTML is here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/ir%20-%20ultimate%20hang%20-%20kurt/

      or http://tinyurl.com/7kkugjx

      Unreadable text below:

      The Ultimate Hang
      Test Series by Kurt Papke
      Initial Report - December 3, 2011
      Field Report - March, 2012
      Tester Information
      Name: Kurt Papke
      Age: 58
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
      Weight: 228 lbs (103 kg)
      Email address: kwpapke (at) gmail (dot) com
      City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

      I have been a hardcore hammock camper since March 2008, sleeping in a
      hammock in temperatures from -27F (-33 C) to +100F (38 C), from sea
      level to 10,000 ft (3050 m) of altitude, from Northern Minnesota to
      Southern Arizona.
      Initial Report
      Product Facts
      Product Information
      Manufacturer Hansen Outdoors Publishing
      Book cover
      Photo courtesy Derek Hansen
      Manufacturer website http://theultimatehang.com
      Year manufactured 2011
      Size (measured dimensions are nominally identical to those listed by
      the manufacturer) 130 pages
      6 x 9 in
      (152 x 229 mm)
      MSRP $14.95 USD
      Weight 7.9 oz
      (225 g)
      Material Paperback with glossy cover

      Key features as stated by the manufacturer include:

      With more than 200 illustrations to guide you, this book helps you get
      off the ground to discover the freedom, comfort, and convenience of
      hammock camping. Learn how to set up and use a hammock to stay dry,
      warm, and bug free in a Leave No Trace-friendly way. This book covers
      hammock camping basics such as how to get a perfect hang and how to
      stay dry, warm, and bug free. Plus, it illustrates techniques and tips
      to get the most out of a hammock shelter, whether you have purchased
      an all-in-one kit or you've assembled your own customized system.
      Initial Inspection
      TOCThe first thing that struck me when I took the book out of the
      shipping sleeve was the nice illustration on the cover (see photo
      above). I thought "wow, it must have cost the author a lot to hire an
      illustrator for the book." Then I noticed the illustrator is the
      author. Impressive.

      I immediately went to the table of contents to see what I had to look
      forward to (pictured at left). At first glance, it seems very
      complete, covering all the hammock camping topics that came to my
      mind. The biggest challenge I have had is staying warm underneath me,
      and I was glad to see the author dedicated a dozen pages to staying
      warm and a substantial fraction of that to "Warm Below".

      Next I leafed through the book, and I was immediately even more
      impressed by the illustrations. Mr. Hansen's style reminds me a
      little of the classic hiking author and illustrator Mike Clelland - a
      bit whimsical, but instructive.

      Though I am an experience hammock camper, this is a developing field
      and there is always something new to learn. The back cover indicated
      that whoopie slings are discussed, and this is one of those terms I
      have seen but never truly understood. I look forward to pouring over
      the pages of the book in the next few months attempting to absorb as
      much as possible all the tidbits the author has accumulated.

      Check back in about three months for my field report

      Many thanks to Derek Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for the
      opportunity to test this product.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2011
        Hi Kurt,

        Short and sweet and to the point. I like it. I find no edits so I will see you in a couple months.

        Ray