LTR - R.W. Knudsen Sports Mix - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4 10:21 AM
      Here is my LTR for the R.W. Knudsen Sports Mix. Thanks for being the Monitor of this series.

      Long Term Report:
      December 4, 2011

      USA Locations and Conditions

      During the whole test period, I have used the R.W. Knudsen Recharge Sports Mix during three backpacking trips totaling 19 days. In addition, I have used it for other endurance activities. Location of the backcountry trips was in Michigan and ranged from lakeshore and islands to hilly deciduous or boreal forest, and open non-deciduous communities. Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft (610 m).

      Early September Backpacking Trip

      Location: Grand Island National Recreation Area
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 12 mi (19 km)
      Length of Trip: 2.5 days/2 nights
      Pack Weight: 18 lb (8 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sunny, cloudy, little rain
      Precipitation: 0.10 in (0.25 cm)
      Temperature Range: 60 F to 85 F (15 C to 29 C)

      September Backpacking Trip

      Location: Isle Royale National Park, Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 112.5 mi (181 km)
      Length of Trip: 13 days/13 nights
      Pack Weight: 34 lb (15 kg) with 2 qt/1.89 L water for first part of trip, approximately 36 lb (16 kg) with 2 qt/1.89 L water after I secured food drop for second part of trip
      Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy, sun, rain, fog and heavy frost
      Precipitation: 1.11 in (2.82 cm)
      Temperature Range: 25 F to 86 F (-4 C to 30 C)

      November Backpacking Trip

      Location: Beaver Basin Wilderness and the Fox River Pathway
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 28 mi (45 km)
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2 nights
      Pack Weight: Approx. 30 lb (13.6 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sun, cloudy, rain, and snow
      Precipitation: 1.34 in (3.40 cm) rain/snow
      Temperature Range: 27 F to 55 F (-3 C ti 13 C)

      Day Hiking, Trail Running, Mt Biking and More

      Location: Various trails and bushwhacks in Houghton and Marquette Counties in Michigan, Sheboygan and Fond du Lac Counties in Wisconsin, USA
      Distance: Normally 5 -15 mi (8 - 24 km)

      Performance in the Field

      During the entire test period I got to experience a variety of weather conditions. I normally drink some type of electrolyte mix when faced with endurance feats as well as during hot weather. Some of my trips included both. I can honestly say that the Recharge Sports Mix was a pleasure to drink. I have been discouraged by many other electrolyte products on the market and had been forcing them down only because I thought they might help me. In addition I could only drink other mixes at half strength because the taste was not to my liking.

      The Recharge Mix is very natural tasting without any aftertaste and I had no problem using it at full strength. My usual scenario during long backpacks is to drink plain water in one of my containers and drink a sports mix from the other. My favorite flavor was grape but I actually enjoyed the other flavors as well. The taste is very satisfying and it helped me to drink more often.

      During one especially cold and damp evening at Isle Royale National Park, I couldn't warm up. I decided to try the lemon flavor mix with hot water. It was outstanding and I will certainly do that often. I always have trouble finding a hot drink that I can enjoy as I have never drank coffee and I really don't like tea. The usual alternatives are not natural and have too much sugar.

      When handling the individual packets, I found that if I rip the tear off strip slowly that I can retain the corner piece still attached to the individual packet (note this in the picture at right). That made it easier to dispose of in my trail garbage bag (zip bag). On a similar note I might add that I was thrilled with the fact that the packets poured easily into my small-mouth hydration bags with no spillage of powder.

      Although it is hard to qualify if the Recharge Mix helped my performance I sure felt great after a long day. My longest day on the trail during a backpack trip was at 15.2 miles (24.5 km). Two of my back country trips started off with hot weather plus high humidity. Of course the beginning of those trips also meant I was carrying my fully-weighted backpack. Those type of days are sometimes a struggle for me energy-wise but I felt great and not fatigued. Maybe the difference could have been the Recharge Sports Mix that I was consuming.

      I also used the Recharge Mix during a few of my longer day treks while bicycling, running or hiking (I normally don't drink anything other than water on shorter treks). I found it to be very refreshing.

      Now my biggest challenge is trying to find the Knudsen Sports Mix locally. I looked for local distributors but found none for the product itself. I will ask my local coop if they can order it for me as they do carry a few other R. W. Knudsen products.

      In conclusion, testing the Recharge Sports Mix was a highlight for me! I finally found a mix that I enjoy drinking plus it has the electrolytes and natural flavor and taste that I enjoy.

          * Electrolytes and vitamins
          * No sugar added
          * Low calorie
          * Tastes good
          * Easy to use

          *  Trying to find it locally

      Tester Remarks

      Thanks to R. W. Knudsen and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Recharge Sports Mix. This concludes my Long Term Report and the test series.

      Top of Page