LTR - Fenix MC11 Anglehead Light - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2011
      Nancy,
      Here is my LTR for the MC11. Thanks for taking the time to be the Monitor of this series. Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/cg8r359

      Long Term Report:

      December 3, 2011

      USA Locations and Conditions

      During the long term test period, I have used the Fenix MC11 during a backpacking trip of three days plus during three multi-hour power outages caused by fall and early winter storms.  Location of the backcountry trip was in Michigan and ranged from lakeshore to hilly deciduous forest to open pine communities. Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft (610 m).

      November Backpacking Trip

      Location: Beaver Basin Wilderness and the Fox River Pathway
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 28 mi (45 km)
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2 nights
      Pack Weight: Approx. 30 lb (13.6 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sun, cloudy, rain, and snow
      Precipitation: 1.34 in (3.40 cm) rain/snow
      Temperature Range: 27 F to 55 F (13 C)

      ________________________________
      Performance in the Field

      During the long term period I took a backpacking trip in the early part of November. With the recent time change (Daily Savings Time) darkness falls early. That means the majority of my evening was dark at camp. The MC11 saw
      steady action for evening activities including cooking, reading and navigating around the camp site. It also saw use early morning use as sunrise is late at this time of year.

      During this trip I used the MC11 in many different ways. Sometimes I would just hold it
      in my hand using the wrist strap if I didn't need light continuously (excursions into the woods or finding something). Other times I would set it on a rock and direct it where I needed the light (cooking). However when I read I
      secured it under my hat or buff so that I didn't have to fool with directing the light (I would make an angle adjustment to the light and I would be all set).

      My home has experienced lengthy power outages which is par for the course in this part of the country. Since I only live a block off a huge lake (Lake Superior) the winds can be severe during storms and the first thing that usually happens is that the transformers blow. During one of these storms my house was down to less than 50 F
      (10 C) so I crawled in to bed (delighting in the excuse to be there) and read for hours using the MC11 for the lighting source. I also used it to find my way around the house and basement to find stuff and make sure everything else was OK.

      I haven't found much use for the flashing strobe light but it's nice to have that option in case of an emergency. I still do prefer the high setting for reading with the diffuser in place. I have kept the hinged diffuser attached at all times because I use it often and and I hate having to force it on and off the unit. The latter comment refers to the fact that it has a snug fit so a good amount of pressure is needed to secure it to the head of the light.

      I still prefer to keep the MC11 in my backpack while hiking or just placed in my jacket pocket while at camp
      rather than clipped to a pack or pocket. I know right where it is in case I need it. I have also carried it as an emergency light in my outings with a daypack.

      Durability/Care

      The MC11 is a very tough unit. There are no signs of wear to the unit itself. The original battery lasted longer than I expected - approximately 40 plus hours. It was only when I was using it for extended periods of time (during the outages) that if finally expired. It was easy to change out the battery.

      Summary

      In conclusion the Fenix MC11 is a  tough, solid, reliable and versatile lighting option for backcountry trips as well as at home. Overall it has been used for 25 days of backpacking plus at home usage. It has also been carried during countless day outings. Even though it is a bit heavier than some of my other lighting options, I plan to continue using it for some of my trips.

      Pros

          * Small

          * Adjustable(many positions and light settings)

          * Accessories are a great bonus and offer flexible usage for different scenarios

          * Quality product
      Cons

          * Heavier than my regular lighting source but it offers more perks
      ________________________________
      Tester Remarks

      Thanks to Fenix light Limited and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the MC11.This concludes my
      Long Term Report and the test series.

      Top of Page
    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2011
        Hi Gail,

        Thanks for a nice report.  Just a couple of minor things and you're ready to upload.

        See you again on another test.

        Nancy

        My home has experienced lengthy power outages which is par for the course in this part of the country.
        Comment: We don't live near anything like the lake winds you must see but this is par for the course in our area too.  Seems that lots of trees make for lots of power outages...and few homes make for not much incentive to restore it :)

        I have kept the hinged diffuser attached at all times because I use it often and and I hate having to force it on and off the unit.
        EDIT: 'and' is written twice

        It was only when I was using it for extended periods of time (during the outages) that if finally expired.
        EDIT: 'if' should be 'it'