IR - Ultimate Hang - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2011
      Ok, here is the IR for this very cool book. HTML at http://tinyurl.com/74nvpe8

      The Ultimate Hang an Illustrated Guide to Hammock Camping
      Test Series by Alex Legg
      December 1, 2011
      Initial Report

      Tester Information:

      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lbs (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies.  I hike ranges near Tucson, Arizona during winter, Colorado during summer.  I carry a light pack, mostly water.  I tend to camp with a tarp whenever possible to reduce the weight of my two person tent.  Primarily I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out.  Temperatures range from extreme winter to 100 F (38 C), and elevation from 2000' (600 m) to 14,000' (4,300 m).  I bag a mountain every weekend, and walk my dogs daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Product Information and Specifications:
      Publisher: Hansen Outdoors Publishing
      Year Published: November 2011
      Edition: First edition
      Listed Dimensions: 6" x 9"
      Actual Dimensions: 6" x 9"
      ISBN: 9781466263680
      Pages: 130
      Binding: US Trade Paper
      MSRP: $14.95

      Product Description:

      The Ultimate Hang An Illustrated Guide to Hammock Camping by Derek Hansen is an instructional book teaching many aspects of hammock camping. Through detailed illustrations and thorough text the author seeks to describe the very many possibilities of camping and backpacking with the use of a hammock as a sleeping system. Topics covered in the book include history of hammocks, site selections, Leave No Trace techniques, suspension and anchor points, and detailed explanations for how to stay warm and dry in whatever weather conditions the four seasons may throw at me. The inside cover of the book is signed by the author which I think is a pretty cool addition. The author sent a brief letter with the book thanking testers for their reviews and offering web addresses and an email address to help with any questions. He also included a business card with the web address to a forum for hammock campers. I am thankful to know of this site now, as it seems to have a wealth of information and people to learn from.

      Initial Impressions:

      My first thought when I opened the package and looked at this book was "Wow, I like the illustration on the cover." There is just something cool to me about the look of a hammock hanging in the woods. As I flipped through the pages, I saw many quirky, comical illustrations of campers taking advantage of the comfort of a hammock, as well as some experiencing mishap either by flipping over or freezing. I found myself stopping to examine the more detailed illustrations of hanging tools, accessories, and options. This is a cool book! I don't know anything about hammock camping other than that I think it looks like the way to go. After only browsing through the pictures of this book, I already feel like I have learned so much. Its not a very long book, but it seems to cover most every possible situation associated with hammock camping, definitely more than I had ever considered.

      Thanks to Derek Hansen and Backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to review this book!
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2011
        Hi Alex,

        Well you got me for OR's and now you get me for Test Reports. ;-) You know the drill.

        Once corrected you can put it in the folder at:

        Reviews > Books > Field Guides > The Ultimate Hang

        Ray

        Your photos (especially the one of the back cover) are pretty blurry. I would suggest using the front cover from his web site and just forgo the back.

        EDIT: your link is not "clickable"

        ***Listed Dimensions: 6" x 9"
        ***Actual Dimensions: 6" x 9"

        EDIT: you need the metric conversions

        *** Its not a very long book, but it seems to cover most every possible situation associated with hammock camping, definitely more than I had ever considered.

        EDIT: "It's" not a very long book

        ***Thanks to Derek Hansen and Backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to review this book!

        EDIT: BackpackGearTest.org