Application – Baffin Base Layer - David Wilkes

  • amatbrewer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      Please accept my application. My signed tester agreement is on file, I have read BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, as well as the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, and I will meet or exceed all test and reporting requirements.

      Bio
      Biographical Information
      Name: David Wilkes
      E-Mail: amatbrewer@...
      Age: 46
      Location: Yakima Washington USA
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I
      have backpacked in all seasons and conditions and do most of my backpacking alone. I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. While I continuously strive to lighten my load, comfort and safety are more important to me. My current pack is around 30 lbs (14 kg), not including consumables.

      Product Relevant Information
      Living in central Washington and participating in outdoor activities a good quality base layer that effectively wicks away moisture is a necessity for me throughout much of the year, but especially in the winter. While this is true for backpacking and hiking, it is especially true for activities like running and snowshoeing where effort levels tend to go to the extremes and dissipating moisture is vital to staying warm during the lower activity periods.
      I am quite interested in the "body mapping" areas for extra ventilation of this garment. I currently have one top with side vents, but it is more suitable for warm weather activities and not as comprehensive at this one looks to be.
      Along with basic items like how it fits, if it rubs or chafes (and that is a BIG one), and how durable it is, I am especially interested in the "anti-microbial" properties as I had to dispose of two relatively new (and rather expensive) base layer tops this fall due to being unable to rid them of odor.
      I am also intrigued by the wetsuit like neck design. It looks like it could be very effective…or really uncomfortable. I would love to find out which.

      I don't have any firm plans for fall/winter trips yet. My intent is to get out when I can and/or as required to fulfill my testing obligations. I intend to do some fall/winter hikes and backpacking, and when conditions allow some snowshoeing and snow camping. I also plan to continue running a few times a week (currently averaging about 12 miles / 20 km a week, and will be getting into condition to compete in my first 10K late in spring and helping my 10yo daughter train for a 5k).

      Previous Tests/OR's
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/amatbrewer

      OR's in last 12 Months: 1

      Ongoing Tests