APPLICATION: Baffin Base Camp Booties

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011
      Andrea,

      Please accept my application to test the Baffin Base Camp booties.  I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables.  My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:    Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  47
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Email address:  bigdawgryan (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City, State, Country:  Idaho Falls, Idaho  U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25.  After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago and began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.  I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children.  For several years, we have hiked or camped nearly every month, year-round.  We vary our experience: desert, forest, meadow, and mountain; spring, summer, fall, and winter; sunshine, rain, wind, or snow.  I am a lightweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Field Information:

      I live in southeastern Idaho at approximately 4,700 ft (1,433 m) above sea level.  Winters are generally long, cold, and snowy here.  We typically get lots of great snow in the higher elevations.  Cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and winter camping outings during the test period will include elevations ranging between 4,700 ft (1,433 m) and 12,668 feet (3,861 m).  Potential destinations include Harriman State Park located 18 mi (29 km) north of Ashton, Idaho; The Kelly Canyon Nordic Area located 26 mi (42 km) northeast of Idaho Falls; the Portneuf Range southeast of Pocatello Idaho; Tie Canyon along the Pine Creek Pass between Victor and Swan Valley Idaho.  Weather during the test period should include wind, rain, snow with average temps ranging from highs in the low 60’s F (15 C) in October to the low teens F (-10 to -18 C).  However, the temperature can and often does drop to 30 below 0 F (-34 C) or colder.

      Proposed Test Plan:

      Winter camping is not new to me.  I enjoy cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and winter camping a great deal, but staying dry and staying warm are essentials for me.  I will be testing these in yurts and snow caves on my overnight cross-country skiing and snowshoe outings.  Will these booties keep my feet warm?  Will they provide enough traction to keep me from slipping when I venture into the snow during the night to get firewood or answer mother nature’s call?  How well will they pack down in my pack?  How comfortable are they to wear, and how durable are they?  Given the opportunity, I’d like to find the answers to these questions.

      Current Tests:

      -    Benchmade 530 knife: Field Testing
      -    Kombi Guide gloves – waiting shipment
      -    Yakima Rocketbox: delayed

      Tester Status Page:

      Test Applications Currently Under Consideration:

      -    None

      BGT Involvement:

      - Test Call Manager
      - Test Monitor

      Previous Reviews:

      Please click the link below to access my previous reports.

      http://tinyurl.com/pwvrl

      Owner Reviews (past 12 months): 0