Application: Baffin Baselayer- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011
      Hi Brett,

      Please consider my application to test the Baffin baselayer.  I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 45
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and hiking poles.

      Test plan or strategy:
      I wear a baselayer for all of my outdoor activities in winter and this one looks intriguing.  I'm curious how well it breathes, how warm it is and how well it moves with me.  It looks quite form-fitting so I'm interested in how comfortable that would be. It also claims to reduce fatigue...seriously?!  I could use that :)  As always I'm wondering if the anti-microbial and implied lack of odor lives up to the claim.  I love those shirts that do!

      Test Conditions:
      Once the snows fly, I'll be snowshoeing/snow camping at the high elevations and backpacking/camping at lower elevations.  For backpacking/snow camping I'd wear the baselayer at night for hiking and for sleeping (maybe not on the same trip).  For snowshoeing I would wear it as my base layer.  At times it may be my only layer (while moving), other times with a fleece or light down and a shell and at times with just a shell.  Most (if not all) trips will be in the Sierra Nevada of California.  In February we have reservations for a 3-day snowshoe trip to a backcountry cabin which is 6 miles from the nearest road.  I would also wear it for my pre-dawn runs with and without a shell overtop.

      Backpacking/camping (one trip per month): Sierra Nevada, 2,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400 m); 10 to 50 F (-12 to 10 C)
      Day Snowshoeing (nearly every weekend): Sierra Nevada, 4,000 to 8,000 ft (1,200 – 2,400 m); 20 to 40 F (-7 to 4 C)

      My current tests are :
      Ryders Defcon Sunglasses- LTR due 1/3
      Lunatec Dish and Wash Cloth - LTR due 1/24
      REI Kulshan jacket - IR complete

      I have written 27 OR's (5 this year) and completed 34 test series.
      My reviews can be viewed at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      I have one app pending for the Baffin booties.

      Labors of Love:  Test Moderator; Monitor

      Thank you for considering my application.

      Nancy