FR - Geigerrig - Chris Cappetta

  • Christopher Cappetta
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2011
      Greetings
      You can find the html version of my report here: *
      http://tinyurl.com/7n3n8jt
      *Thanks a lot,
      Chris

      Field Report

      Field Locations and conditions-

      I've used the Geigerrig 700 most often trail running, but also on two hikes
      and two days of mountain biking.

      Hartman Rocks Recreation Area- Gunnison, Colorado-

      I am fortunate to have some great public land just a couple miles from my
      house. I've taken the rig 700 on six trail runs at Hartman Rocks. Like a
      lot of Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property, it was originally
      considered unproductive land, but is now coming into it's own as
      beautifully-stark desert and steppe recreation country. The trails are
      scattered through huge boulders and large swaths of sagebrush. The
      elevation is around 7,700 ft (2350 m). I generally ran around 5 mi (8 km)
      on these trips. The temperatures for my runs have ranged from about 30 - 60
      F (-1 - 15 C) and I generally opted to run when it was sunny. I also used
      the Rig 700 during a 15 mi (24 km) day of mountain biking at Hartman Rocks.

      Daisy Pass- Raggeds Wilderness Area, CO

      I took the Rig 700 on a 7 mi (11 km) solo day hike up to Daisy Pass in the
      Elk Mountains northwest of Crested Butte. I started hiking around 8 am, the
      temperature was around 30 C (-1 C) and by noon it had risen to around 50 F
      (10 C). The weather was sunny.

      Mt. Crested Butte, CO

      I brought the Rig on a morning hike up Mt. Crested butte in late September.
      The lifts were shut down for the fall, which is my favorite time of year to
      hike Mt. Crested Butte. Its about a 5 mi (8 km) trip each way from the base
      area. The temperature was a cool 25-50 F (-4-10 C)

      Upper Loop mountain bike trail- Outside Crested Butte, CO

      In early October, I took the rig on a 10 mi (16 km) late-season mountain
      bike ride just East of Crested Butte. It was a sunny afternoon, the
      temperature was around 40 F (5 C).

      The Rig 700 has been tested in a number of outdoor pursuits in cool, but
      not yet cold temperatures. Thus far I've taken the rig into the field a
      total of 8 days.

      Performance in the Field-

      On this leg of testing the Rig 700's design and durability lived up to my
      expectations. With a full bladder I can fit a light rain layer, a down
      sweater, a long sleeve shirt and snacks for a day trip.

      The construction of the Rig 700 is very solid, I haven't found any areas
      that look to be problematic. I've come upon only a couple loose threads in
      the company logo; which is a non-factor in performance.

      As I mentioned my primary testing has been trail running. The Rig 700 has a
      comfortable fit high on my back. After my first couple runs I removed the
      waist strap and haven't missed it. I keep the shoulder straps short and the
      chest strap tight, so the pack stays well secured without it. There has
      only been one instance when the load of the pack caused my shirt to ride
      up, and that was in the front country. I ran across town to get a big
      bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap. The large, heavy, cylinder shape of the soap
      bottle had my shirt moderately riding on the way home. I suspect if I would
      have packed the bottle along with some extra clothes it would have sat more
      comfortably. The bite valve is at a comfortable place for drinking and it
      clips into the right shoulder strap to prevent obnoxious movement.

      My other day pack is larger, oriented towards backcountry skiing. I do
      appreciate the smaller feel of the Rig 700 on my back and it has become my
      primary school backpack. Where my larger day pack keeps a small load low on
      my back, the rig holds it more comfortably near my shoulder blades. The
      hydration system is easy to remove for front country use. I've received
      numerous unsolicited compliments on the looks of the pack.

      The reservoir has been sturdy with no leaks so far. Early on my Mt.
      Crested Butte hike the temperature was a bit below freezing. I kept the
      bite valve in my left armpit and had no problems with it freezing. I was
      thankful for the option to turn the valve flow off. The plug and play
      connectors are easy to use and I like that you can refill the reservoir
      without taking the drink and pump tubes out of their places on the shoulder
      straps. I turn the reservoir inside out to dry after use and as yet have
      not experienced any of the displeasing smells that I've experienced with
      hydration systems before.

      I really like being able to spray with the bite valve, this is truly an
      innovative feature. I find it easy to lose my breath at altitude,
      particularly when drinking from a conventional hydration pack while hiking
      or running uphill. Often on steep ascents I stop moving when I want to take
      a drink from a traditional hydration pack, but with the spray feature of
      the Rig 700 I can generally keep rolling. True to the slogan, the ability
      to drink without having to suck does help.

      I find the volume of the pack to be well suited to my needs. I try to
      travel light, so even in the late fall this pack has plenty of space for a
      shell, and insulation layer, and a long sleeve base layer. The Nordic ski
      trails at higher elevations in the Gunnison Valley are starting to open up
      and the Rig 700 will be my go to pack anywhere safe from avalanches. For
      backcountry skiing, this pack will be on the small side as the shovel takes
      up a fair amount of space by itself.

      Summary

      I am very impressed with the construction of the Rig 700 and the hydration
      system is truly innovative. I have used a number of hydration packs and
      this stands out as my favorite.

      Things I like:

      Innovative hydration system.

      Sturdy construction.

      It looks pretty fly too.

      I haven't yet found anything I dislike about this pack.

      Thus ends my field report. Please check back in two months time for my
      Long Term Report. A hearty thanks to Geigerrig and BGT for the opportunity
      to test this pack.

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
        Hi Chris,

        Thanks for emailing your FR to me as well. As I said I have been sick so I wasn't monitoring the list. Found some minor stuff, when they are fixed you can go ahead and upload at your convenience.

        My edits, comments or suggestions are listed below marked with ## below a snip of your words.

        Safe hiking,
        Jamie D
        Monitor – GEIGERRIG pack monitor

        You - I've taken the rig 700 on six trail runs at Hartman Rocks.

        ##Edit – Please capitalize "rig"

        You - Like a lot of Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property, it was originally considered unproductive land, but is now coming into it's own as beautifully-stark desert and steppe recreation country.

        ##Edit – coming into "its" own

        You - I brought the Rig 700 on a morning hike up Mt. Crested butte in late September.

        ##Edit – Please capitalize "butte"

        You - Its about a 5 mi (8 km) trip each way from the base area. The temperature was a cool 25-50 F (-4-10 C)

        ##Edit – "It's" about a 5 mi

        You - In early October, I took the Rig 700 on a 10 mi (16 km) late-season mountain bike ride just East of Crested Butte. It was a sunny afternoon, the temperature was around 40 F (5 C).

        ##Edit – in this use, East is not capitalized

        You - The rig has a comfortable fit high on my back.

        ##Edit – please capitalize "rig"