Application: Kombi Guide Gloves- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2011
       Hi Kurt,

      Please consider my application to test the Kombi Guide gloves.  I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 45
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I carry a mid-weight load, use a tent and hiking poles.

      Test plan or strategy:
      For snowshoeing I wear anything from no gloves to liners to warm winter gloves depending on the temp/snow/wind conditions but when I stop moving I always need some serious warmth.  Our snowshoeing 'trails' can be a marked trail or road but is usually more of a 'hey do you think we can make it up that and then figure out how to get back to the car?'  These gloves look perfect for that type of trip since my gloves are getting pulled off as I'm scrambling, snow getting inside and the palms getting worn from trying to grab branchs to pull myself up a slope.  Then at the top I'm hot but need the gloves to keep my hands protected from the elements which is where the breathability would come in.  For backpacking or snow camping the gloves would be needed in camp full-time to keep my hands warm.  The goggle wipe sounds like a great feature.

      Test Conditions:
      Over Thanksgiving we have plans to backpack/hike (if rain) or mountain bike (if decent) for 3 days somewhere toward the coast.  Once the snows fly, I'll be snowshoeing/snow camping at the high elevations and day hiking at lower elevations.  Most trips will be in the Sierra Nevada of California except for the Thanksgiving trip to the coastal range.  In February we have reservations for a 3-day trip to a backcountry cabin which is a 6 mile snowshoe from any road.

      Mountain Bike/Backpack: 0 to 2,000 ft (0 - 600 m); 30 to 60 F (0 to 15 C).  Coastal Range of California...camping overnight
      Snowshoe Backpacking: Sierra Nevada, 4,000 to 8,000 ft (1,200 – 2,400 m); 10 to 40 F (-12 to 4 C)...windy at times
      Day Snowshoeing: Sierra Nevada, 4,000 to 8,000 ft (1,200 – 2,400 m); 20 to 40 F (-7 to 4 C)...snow and wind are likely

      My current tests are :
      Knudsen Drink Mix - LTR due 12/24.  Will submit soon since I'm nearly out.
      Ryders Defcon Sunglasses- LTR due 1/3
      Lunatec Dish and Wash Cloth - FR due 11/22

      I have written 27 OR's (5 this year) and completed 33 test series.
      My reviews can be viewed at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      I have one app pending for the REI Kulshan jacket.

      Labors of Love:  New role as Test Moderator after spending past 2 years as Test Call Manager; Monitor

      Thank you for considering my application.

      Nancy