Application - REI Arete ASL Tent - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      Please consider my application to test REI’s Arete ASL 2 Tent.

      1.  I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and meet or exceed all requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      2.  Tester information and bio:
      · Mark Thompson
      · 47
      · Male
      · 6’0” (1.8 m)
      · 190 lb (86.2 kg)
      · markthompson242 AT gmail dot com
      · Parker, CO, USA

      - Outdoor adventures started for me at a very early age, undoubtedly the result of adventurous parents. Over the years, my passions have bounced from sport to sport, but being in the mountains has always made me feel at home, whether it's the Sierras, Rockies, Adirondacks or the Alps , I am always planning my next adventure. After a 24 year separation, I am finally back home in the Rockies . My near term goals include climbing the Colorado 14'ers (22 down, 34 to go) and increasing my climbing skill level.

      3.  Test plan:  I have several overnight trips and one extended trip planned in the coming months.  Being in Colorado, the weather is always something to respect.  Already this year, we have had a couple snow storms and camping in the high country requires skill and vigilance.  My typical weekend of winter “peak bagging” includes:

      Packing into the trailhead (since most of the trailheads are on Forest Service roads, the snow doesn’t get plowed and the pack in can be several miles).
      Camp overnight
      Awake early, climb, summit, descend and pack out

      Also this winter, I plan to:

      Attend High Altitude Mountaineering School – a course of instruction offered by the Colorado Mountain Club focusing on snow and ice climbing on peaks over 15,000’

      The course includes 6 day and overnight trips, all at higher elevations in cold weather.
      The pinnacle trip of the school is an attempt on Mt Rainier.
      Serve as an instructor for CMC’s Basic Mountaineering School which includes one overnight adventure (location to be determined, but Longs Peak is generally at the top of the list).

      My primary climbing partner is male, similar to me in age and build.  I do plan to use the tent solo as well.

      4.  I have 2 tests currently in process (both in FR stage):
      - Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T. Red Pocket Tool
      -  MontBell TEC Down Pants

      link to my test status:
      . http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1890.htm

      5.  I have written 3 OR's in the past 12 months.

      6.  I have no other test applications outstanding

      7.  I am not filling any additional BGT roles

      Thank you for considering my application.

      Best regards,
      Mark