LTR: Costa Tag Sunglasses - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2011
      Steven,
      Here is my LTR for the Costa Tag Sunglasses. Thanks in advance for taking the time to be the Monitor of this series. I appreciate it! Gail

      HTML:
      http://tinyurl.com/3h6pkea

      Long Term
      Report:

      October 29,
      2011

      USA
      Locations
      and Conditions

      During
      the long term test period, I have worn the Costa Tag Sunglasses every
      day while outdoors. Backpacking usage totaled 16 days during this
      period alone. Locations were all in Michigan and Wisconsin, USA and terrain ranged
      from
      and included hilly boreal and deciduous
      forest communities on islands as well as the
      mainland.
      Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to nearly 2000 ft (610 m).

      Early
      September Backpacking Trip

      Location: Grand Island National
      Recreation Area
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 12 mi
      Length of Trip: 2.5 days/2 nights
      Pack Weight: 18 lb (8 kg)
      Sky and Air Conditions: Sunny,
      cloudy, little rain
      Precipitation: 0.10 in (0.25 cm)
      Temperature Range: 60 F to 85 F
      (29 C)

      September
      Backpacking Trip

      Location: Isle Royale National Park,
      Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 112.5 mi (181 km)
      Length of Trip: 13 days/13
      nights
      Pack Weight: 34 lb (15 kg) with 2
      qt/1.89 L water for first part of trip, approximately 36 lb (16 kg)
      with 2 qt/1.89 L
      water after I secured
      food drop for second part of trip
      Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy,
      sun, rain, fog and heavy frost
      Precipitation: 1.11 in
      (2.82 cm)
      Temperature Range: 25 F to 86 F
      (30 C)

      Day Hiking, Trail
      Running, Mt Biking and More

      Location: Various trails and
      bushwhacks in Houghton and Marquette Counties in Michigan, Sheboygan
      and Fond du Lac Counties in Wisconsin, USA
       Distance: Normally 5 -15 mi
      (8 - 24 km)

      ________________________________
      Performance
      in the Field

      During the Long Term
      Test Period I continued to wear the Costa Tag Sunglasses on every
      outing. This not only included my sports activities but also for
      driving and virtually anytime that I was outside. I am still smitten
      with these comfortable and light weight glasses and really there is nothing that has changed my
      opinion of them. I continue to wear them often with a brimmed hat and at other times without.

      The lenses have worked in all light conditions. I have sensitive eyes
      so I even wear them when there is absolutely no sun (which happens
      often here). Many of my other glasses haven't worked nearly as well in
      low light conditions. I love the fact that in changing light conditions
      there is virtually no adjustment or discomfort to my eyes when the
      cloudy skies are suddenly bright.

      I have also worn them during light rain with no issues. The lenses
      haven't fogged although of course the outside of the lenses were wet
      from precipitation.

      Durability

      Recently while
      hiking on a gloomy day near a series of waterfalls, I rested the Costas
      on top of my hat while I took a relaxing break.
      I forgot they were there, resumed hiking and thirty seconds later
      immediately hit a tree branch hard
      resulting in the glasses falling off and hitting an escarpment of rock.
      I cringed but when I looked at my glasses there didn't seem to be any
      evidence of damage. I was so relieved! Their durability has exceeded my
      expectations. I continue to store the glasses in the sturdy case when
      not in use.

      In conclusion I love the Costa Tag 580P Sunglasses. They have performed
      well not only protecting my eyes but allowing for super clear vision. I
      look forward to wearing them for a very long time.

      Pros

          * Great
      clarity

          * Comfortable
      frames
          * Lightweight
          * Great eye
      coverage

          * Sturdy
      glass case
      Cons

          * None :)

      ________________________________
      Tester Remarks

      Thanks
      to Costa and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity to test the Tag 580P Sunglasses.This concludes my
      Long Term Report and the test series.

      Top of Page
    • ftroop94
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2011
        Gail,

        I'm glad the glasses have worked so well for you! My 2 year old just stepped on a pair of 12 year old Ray Bans that were in perfect condition and snapped them in half yesterday, because for one super odd moment I failed to put them in there case. My mistake!

        Steve

        Just a few edits on conversions:

        >>Distance: 12 mi

        EDIT: Distance: 12 mi (19 km)

        >>Temperature Range: 60 F to 85 F (29 C)

        EDIT: Temperature Range: 60 F to 85 F (15 C to 29 C)

        >>Temperature Range: 25 F to 86 F(30 C)

        EDIT: Temperature Range: 25 F to 86 F (-4 C to 30 C)

        Add the conversions and feel free to post! (and delete the test file)