FR Past Primitive Deluxe Cook Kit

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2011
      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/3zg8xh9

      Field Report

      Field Locations/Conditions

      Ostrander Lake, Yosemite NP, California, July 2 - 4. Elevation: 8,500
      feet (2591 m). Temperature range: 38 - 45 F (3 - 7 C).

      Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite NP, California, July 22 - 24. Elevation:
      8,750 feet (2667 m). Temperature range: 45 - 55 F (7 - 13 C).

      Cliff Lake, Dinkey Lakes Wilderness, California, August 13 - 14.
      Elevation: 9,438 feet (2877 m). Temperature range: 40 - 50 F (4 - 10 C).

      SAR overnight training, Dinkey Lakes Wilderness, California, August
      20 - 21. Elevation: 9,000 feet (2743 m). Temperature range: 40 - 45 F
      (4 - 7 C).

      Moose Lake, Sequoia NP, California, August 27 - 28. Elevation: 10,530
      feet (3210 m). Temperature range: 35 - 45 F (2 - 7 C).

      Montana de Oro State Park, September 24 - 25. Elevation: 30 feet
      (9.14 m). Temperature range: 50 - 55 F (10 - 13 C).

      Field Report:

      The stove has accompanied me on all overnight outings since I
      received it. I use it the same way each time. Fill the pot to
      capacity, prepare the windscreen, sweep away any plant matter to make
      a bare patch on the ground, place the stove, seat the pot stand on
      the stove, and use the syringe to fill the stove, screw in the
      thumbscrew, then add a few drops to the primer ring. I usually use a
      small lighter to light the stove. I use the pot lifter to put the pot
      on the stand, then drop the windscreen in place and set the lid
      loosely on the pot. Each use, I filled the stove with about .88 oz
      (26 ml) of fuel. The water reached a gentle (bubbling but not
      rolling) boil. I used the smaller ZiplocĀ® container as a cup measure
      and as a drinking vessel; the larger one was my bowl for rehydrating
      and eating meals. I make my own just-add-water meals and keep them in
      plastic bags, which I dropped into the container when it was time to
      add water, and ate out of the bag to avoid unnecessary cleanup. After
      drinking coffee, tea, or other beverage out of the cup, I used
      whatever hot/warm water was left to rinse it.

      The stove has been easy to use, and works consistently well when I am
      careful to prime it properly. Temperature and elevation had no
      noticeable effect on stove operation. On two occasions the stove
      failed to blossom. After adding more fuel to the priming ring the
      stove lit and burned until all fuel was consumed. One time I failed
      to seat the pot stand into the top of the stove evenly, resulting in
      my lighting the stove and placing the pot on only to discover the pot
      sat on an incline and flames shot up the side of the pot. Since the
      stove was lit, and the pot didn't slide off, I left it to complete
      the burn and successfully boil the water, but I watched it nervously
      for the longest few minutes I've spent on a backpacking meal.

      On my fourth outing with the stove, I managed to do as I suspected I
      might - I lost the thumbscrew. Fortunately I didn't miss it, as I had
      used the stove to make breakfast before the screw was misplaced. Upon
      discovering the loss I took the stove to a hardware store and found a
      replacement that fit the threading on the fuel hole, and bought four
      - a spare for my emergency kit and two more in reserve.

      The foam pot holder is now slightly melted and/or singed on one edge
      due to my attempt to short cut and pick the pot off the stove with
      it, while the stove was still lit. The wisdom of a pot lifter was
      made quite clear to me. I have developed the habit of placing the pot
      lifter on the foam so that the breeze does not blow it away.

      Another habit came about after I noticed rust stains on the inside of
      the pot, which is aluminum. The pot stand is a small strip of steel,
      and any moisture left in the pot when I pack it up in the morning can
      cause a small amount of rust. So a swipe of the bandana or pack towel
      around the inside of the pot and the lid to dry it became one of the
      steps taken to repack.

      The Guyot Designs Microbites set that came with the kit has gone out
      with me each time, and I have used the spork more often than the
      spatula. Given that I am rehydrating meals and not cutting or turning
      anything, I suppose that makes sense. Some of the time I have used
      the spatula to stir hot chocolate or coffee, but beyond that I have
      not found a use for it. The spork has held up well and without a
      scratch or a broken tine.

      The Past Primitive Deluxe Cook Kit has performed well and meets my
      expectations for a kitchen kit. The parts of the kit have been well
      thought out and each has a use, with the exception of the spatula (so
      far). The bottle has not leaked, the windscreen has shielded the
      flame well against many breezes, and the end result - boiling water -
      has been consistent save for some user error on my part. I will
      continue to take the kit with me as summer becomes fall, and return
      at the end of November with my long term report.

      My thanks again to Past Primitive and to Backpack Gear Test for the
      opportunity to review the Past Primitive Deluxe Cook Kit.