Re: EDIT: IR - Gerber - Crucial F.A.S.T. Red pocket tool - James Triplett

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
      Hi Steve. Thanks for the edits. I had a three-day weekend, so just now
      got to them, fixed and uploaded the report.

      I agree with everything you said, but added a few comments below.

      Jet

      > Sorry for the delay in editng, I was on vacation last week work was
      > wild this week.
      >
      > Great IR and only one edit that I suggest. Potentially take a look
      > at centering the images as mentioned below.
      >
      > See you in two months!
      >
      > >> The Gerber Crucial FAST is a hefty little tool.
      >
      > EDIT: In my opinion the Gerber? or I believe the Gerber
      >
      > ?I'd suppose there are some brutes out there that may think it was
      rubbery?
      [JET] Good suggestion - fixed.

      > >> The functioning of the tool was a little stiff right out of the box.
      >
      > Comment: My grandfather told me to W-40 every new knife for
      > smoothness and rust protection?yet this could `alter' the product!
      [JET] I usually use 3-in-1 sewing machine oil. I thought I'd see how it
      worked for a while first though. Maybe even for the whole test as it
      seems to be loosening up.

      > >> Opening the Gerber Crucial into the plier configuration took some
      > pretty forceful pulling.
      >
      > Comment: Spell check went nuts over the word `plier' and although I
      > knew it had to be a word the internet dictionaries were just as
      > confused. Therefore, I felt compelled to pull out my old OED (and
      > yes the paper version) to verify the word was first used in 1568. I
      > only mention this because it simply elates me to grab one of those
      > musty old copies every once in awhile to simply dig through `em and
      > edumicate myself!
      [JET] I agree. I like using the alternate spelling of Grey, just for
      fun. I used "Plier" as that is what Gerber had.

      > The images are excellent; my only questions/suggestion is whether or
      > not to center them to detract from the white space on the HTML? I'd
      > suggest taking a look and seeing whether it not it makes the read
      > more fluid. I will leave that up to you in the end, a mere suggestion.
      [JET] I don't think I have ever centered images, but I'm game for
      something new. I centered all the images and their captions.

      Thanks again Steve...

      Jet
      PS: Did you notice my tinyurl?

      backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 09/30/2011 09:26:26 PM:

      > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, jetriple@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Steve... This should be fun having each other's tests to edit at
      > > approximately the same time!
      > >
      > > Please find the text and link for my Initial Report on the Gerber
      Crucial
> [...]

      > > half serrated, which would give us eight components, counting the
      blade as
      > > two.
      > >
      > > <Image> Gerber Crucial Blade
      > > The Crucial knife blade counts as two components (smooth edge and
      serrated
      > > edge).
      > >
      > > The functioning of the tool was a little stiff right out of the box.
      > > Opening the Gerber Crucial into the plier configuration took some
      pretty
      > > forceful pulling. The screwdrivers opened easily. The evidence of
      the
      > > FAST technology is very apparent when opening the blade, although it
      did
      > > take some limbering up to get it to "snap" into the fully locked
      position.
      > > As the knife gets looser, and I get more proficient, this has started
      > > work quite well.
      > >
      > > <Image> Gerber Crucial Plier Close-Up
      > > The Crucial Pliers count as three components (needle-nose, regular
      pliers,
      > > and wire cutter).
      > >
      > > The two screwdrivers and the blade all lock into the extended
      position.
      > > The screwdrivers use more traditional spring locks, which need to be
      > > pushed aside to retract the drivers. The blade lock is incorporated
      into
      > > the FAST forward action spring, and a little slide button on the
      outside
      > > of the tool needs to be activated for the blade to release so it can
      be
      > > folded back into the tool. This slide can also be slid when the blade
      is
      > > collapsed, locking it in the closed position, preventing it from
      > > accidently opening.
      > >
      > > <Image> Gerber Crucial flat blade screwdriver
      > > Standard Screwdriver. The serrated metal is the lock which is pushed
      > > the side to release the driver.
      > >
      > > <Image> Gerber Crucial knife-blade lock
      > > Red means "Warning". With the red dot exposed the knife blade is
      > > unlocked.
      > > The raised black surface behind the slide is the G10 Grip.
      > > The small black material on the blade is the "thumb stud" for easy
      > > opening.
      > >
      > > Initial Report Summary:
      > > The Gerber Crucial FAST Red Pocket Tool is attractive and seems
      > > comfortable to hold. The finish is nice, and the pocket clip seems
      > > suitably long enough for use. The blade and drivers snap solidly into

      > > place and seem quit secure when locked. They are also easy to return
      > > the folded position. The pliers take more effort to unfold, and fold,
      but
      > > they too seem well made, solid, and stay nicely in the usable
      position. So
      > > far everything seems first rate about this tool. It is pretty much
      what I
      > > expected, although the folded length is about an inch (2.54 cm)
      shorter