FR- Past Primitive Deluxe Cook Set- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      Hello Michael,
      Here is my Field Report for your edits.
      See my test copy here: http://tinyurl.com/3s5a65e
      Best
      Ralph

      Field Report
      During this phase I spent two nights out camping in the Melaleuca Park
      north of Perth.
      Although it is winter, temperatures have been unusually very mild. The
      minimum temperature was 5 C (41 F) ranging up to a maximum of 29 C (84 F).
      Now into spring, I spent four days and three nights at Gelcoat Campsite
      in the Wellington Dam reserve. Daytime temperatures reached a maximum of
      25 C (77 F) and a minimum of 3 C (37 F). Rain fell on the last day. Wind
      was approximately blowing at 6 km/h (3.7 mph) during the day.

      The meals in the Melaleuca Park prepared over the course of the stay was
      two breakfasts, two lunches and two evening meals as I left after
      breakfast on the last day.
      My evening meals were Babotjie and Beef Curry and Rice. Breakfast
      consisted of another packet labeled "Cooked Breakfast" which contained
      beef bacon and scrambled egg in hash brown potato mix, served with baked
      beans. They are freeze dried package meals that require to be re
      hydrated with boiling water.
      At Gelcoat, I boiled water for a dehydrated meal, cups of tea and boiled
      eggs.

      cooking a meal

      cooking a meal
      Lunch was a bread roll with sausage washed down with tea. In fact, I had
      cups of tea with every meal but usually after I had eaten the breakfast
      and evening meal as I had to boil up the water whilst eating my meals.
      It was a time management thing to eat my food hot. I did not want it to
      cool down whilst waiting for the water to boil for my cup of tea.

      cup of tea

      cup of tea

      I took some measurements to indicate boil times and fuel required to
      boil water and then rehydrate the food whilst still on heat from the stove.
      The fuel used for all of my cooking/boiling was methylated spirits.
      Vol of fuel
      Temp
      Wind Speed
      Vol of water
      Boiling Time
      Comment
      30 ml (1 fl oz)
      29 C (84 F)
      2.2 - 6.1 km/h
      (1.36 - 3.8 mph)
      1 cup
      11 mins
      Windshield used.
      34 ml (1.2 fl oz)
      19 C (66 F)
      3.1 - 7.3 km/h
      (1.9 - 4.5 mph)
      2 cups

      Did not boil after 13 mins 18 sec. Fuel ran out. Lots of bubbles on
      bottom of pot. refueled the stove when cool enough.
      Windshield used.
      30 ml (1 fl oz)
      19 C (66 F)
      Ditto
      2 cups
      2 min 47 sec
      It took the 2 cups 16 mis 05 sec to boil on actual heat.Dry food was
      added to the boiled water and heated through on the flame for 9 mins.
      Fuel ran out after 11 mins 04 sec. Windshield not used because of wide pot.

      I used the 1 cup drinking bowl for my cups of tea and the 4 cup mixing
      bowl to measure out the water to boil.
      When drinking from the cup I found that the lip of the cup was very user
      friendly. The flanged edge rested nicely on my bottom lip and as it is
      away from the cup it was not hot to rest against my lip whilst sipping.

      When boiling water I used the pot stand sometimes with a windshield
      depending on the wind. On still occasions I did without it. To assist
      with a quicker boil I rested the lid on it upside down so that I could
      remove it easily with the spondonical.

      bolinig water

      boiling water
      The Holding Pad I found was just a tad short. My hands are not large but
      I had to be very careful as to how far my fingers spread ever so
      slightly. Invariably either my index or little finger got a touch up
      from the hot side of the pot as they overlapped the pad. In the end, I
      just used the spondonical to lift the pot off.

      I carried the fuel in the bottle supplied along with a reserve as I was
      away for two days. To fill the stove, I used the supplied syringe and
      just for comparison I also used a syringe with a curved spout which was
      excellent for putting fuel into the priming pan. (See photo below. It is
      next to the bowl). It also worked well to inject fuel into the stove.
      Perhaps the manufacturer could swap the style of syringe. I did find
      that trying to place fuel in the priming pan with the supplied syringe
      was a tad awkward as the spout is extremely short and stubby. There
      appears to be an internal thread in the barrel. Perhaps this model
      syringe has an optional spout that can be screwed into it?

      Both cutlery items were used. The spork for eating and the spatula was
      very good at spreading butter on bread rolls.

      buttering a bread roll

      buttering a bread roll
      I did not do anything fancy at Gelcoat. It was basic stuff of just
      boiling water for tea to drink, a cup of soup and boiled some eggs for
      the day walks.
      Boiling water using the supplied container and windshield was trouble
      free. I managed to boil the water with the 30 ml (1 fl oz) of metho.
      When boiling the eggs using a different pot without a wind shield, I had
      to refill the stove as the water only just got to a boil with the first
      lot of 30 ml (1 fl oz) fuel. I like my boiled eggs hard so I added
      another 20 ml (0.67 fl oz) of metho. After that fuel ran out, I dutch
      ovened the rest of the time. I.e. let the eggs sit in the boiled water
      for a time.

      boiling eggs

      boiling eggs
      Cooking my dehydrated meal of Beef Curry and rice, I had a lengthy cook
      time of ten minutes cooking the meat (rehydrating) then a further five
      minutes for the rice. In all, I had to refill the stove twice. Luckily I
      brought a pair of gardening gloves along to handle the hot stove for the
      refills.

      One problem that I ran into was the dropping level of metho in the
      bottle. The syringe would not reach into the fluid as the level had
      dropped too far. So I ended up pouring the metho into the cup that came
      with the set and I drew the metho by syringe from the cup.

      syringe in cup

      syringe in cup

      When priming the stove with the supplied syringe, the metho spills all
      over the place because the end of the syringe is too big for the priming
      tray. It really needs a fine tapered end. What happened when I lit the
      fuel with my fire steel, the spilt fuel also caught fire and burned on
      top of the camp table leaving a distinctive ring.

      distinctive burnt ring

      distinctive burnt ring

      Summary
      Overall the stove works well. It does the job of what it is designed
      for, namely boiling water. It uses a lot of fuel when trying to
      reconstitute a dehydrated meal from scratch. I do not have the luxury of
      presoaking my meals. It is more of a situation where I pour the contents
      into boiling water and heat through for at least then minutes to give a
      semblance of tenderness. Ideally, I would love to cook the meat for a
      longer period to achieve a much more tender dish so that I do not suffer
      from indigestion when laying down to sleep hours after eating the meal.
      This would entail the burning of a greater volume of fuel.