IR - SwissTool Spirit X - Andy

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011
      Hi Kurt,

      Here is my IR for the Spirit X. The html version can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/3gpqkdw. Thanks for the edits!

      Andy

      Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X

      Test Series by Andy Henrichs

      October 1, 2011

      Initial Report - 10-1-11

      Biographical Information

      Name:  Andy Henrichs
      Age: 30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  185 lb (83.9 kg)
      Email address:  andyhenrichs(at)gmail(dot)com
      City, State, Country:  Boulder, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background

         Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado and the deserts in the southwestern US.  I have gone winter camping several times but I still prefer backpacking in the warmer months.  Most of my trips are 2-3 days, but I have taken several trips of 5-6 days.  In the summer of 2004, I was fortunate enough to have thru-hiked the 476 mile Colorado Trail over 35 days.  Recently, I have been leaning towards the lightweight side of the spectrum.

      Initial Report

      Product Information

      Manufacturer:  Victorinox (www.swissarmy.com)

      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      MSRP: $103 US
      Manufacturers Stated Weight: Not listed
      Measured Weight: 7.47 oz (212 g)
      Manufacturers Stated Length (closed): 4.13 in (105 mm)
      Measured Length (closed): 4.13 in (105 mm)

      The Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X closed

      The leather case for the Spirit X

      Product Description

      The Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X is a multitool with 27 unique features as designated by Victorinox. These features are listed and identified in the photo below. The Spirit X comes with a beautiful stitched leather pouch. This pouch has a hook-and-loop closure and features an integrated belt loop. There is a metal Victorinox logo on the front of the pouch. The Spirit X itself is constructed entirely of metal and feels quite solid. When closed, the tool has a subtle "X" shape to it, which I assume is the source of its name. Each side of the multitool has a small etched Victorinox logo. All of the functions (except for the pliers and two integrated wire cutters) can be accessed from the outside. Additionally, every tool locks when deployed. I have not had this feature on any multitool I've owned, but I am a big fan of it. Any feature that serves to make the multitool safer is a very good thing in my book.

      1. needlenose pliers

      2. 2mm screwdriver

      3. 3mm screwdriver

      4. wire cutter for thin and soft wire

      5. cap lifter

      6. 6mm screwdriver

      7. crate opener

      8. pointed blade

      9. scissors

      10. metal file

      11. metal saw

      12. wood saw

      13. reamer and punch

      14. Phillips screwdriver 1+2

      15. chisel/scraper

      16. cable cover cutter lengthwise

      17. wire bender

      18. wire stripper and scraper

      19. cable cover cutter circular

      20. can opener

      21. multi-purpose hook

      22. leather pouch (shown above)

      23. coupling for corkscrew (not included)

      24. hard wire cutter

      25. lanyard hole

      26. ten individual springs

      27. lock release

      The individual features of the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X (from the Victorinox SwissTool manual)

      Initial Impressions

      The Spirit X has several features that make it very appealing to me. First and foremost, the fact that every exterior tool can be locked is a huge plus in my book. I appreciate any and all means of making tools safer, particularly those intended for backcountry use. Another feature that appeals to me is the fact that nearly every tool is accessible without opening the multitool. This makes individual tools quicker and easier to deploy. Less fumbling with the tool makes it less likely that I could drop the Spirit X and lose it. Deploying a tool with the Spirit X closed also provides a larger handle, which feels more secure to me. I should point out that individual tools can also be deployed when the Spirit X is open.

      As I mentioned before, the pliers and two associated wire cutters are the only tools that can only be accessed while the Spirit X is open. The pliers appear quite sturdy and capable of significant grasping power. While I haven't used them for anything yet, I have noticed that the body of the Spirit X flexes very slightly when I really squeeze the pliers closed. Despite this flexing, the Spirit X feels solid. I'll pay attention to this flex to see if it causes any issues. All of the individual tools look stout enough to do the job they were created for. The lock mechanism appears very secure; I haven't noticed any looseness when the tools are deployed and locked.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Check back in two months for my amended Field Report.

      Thank you to Victorinox and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this multitool.