IR - ExOfficio Storm Jacket - Bob Sanders

  • Bob Sanders
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2011
      Hi James,

      Here is my Initial Report for the ExOfficio Logic Jacket. My apologizies for being a couple days late.

      I have uploaded the HTML into the test folder and here is the link. http://tinyurl.com/694uejl

      I don't understand what happened between me uploading the file and viewing it but it appears that in the process of uploading it jacked with the code. I have opened the original file in Safari, and FireFox and it looks fine. When I open the file uploaded to the test folder a lot of the code has been stripped out or changed. ALL color has been stripped out and all elements that were centered are now flush left. All of the words are there but all the styling has been removed.

      Not sure what to do about the HTML, but the file looks great on my end. Looks horrible after it is uploaded.

      Here is the text...

      ExOfficio - Storm Logic Jacket

      Test Series by Bob Sanders

      Initial Report: October 2, 2011

      PERSONAL INFORMATION
      Name: Bob Sanders
      Backpacking Background: I went on my first backpacking trip as a Boy Scout at the age of 16. Over the years I have hiked the Wonderland Trail in Washington and section hiked parts of the Florida Trail, Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail and 740 mi (1191 km) of the Pacific Crest Trail. I continue to backpack and hike year round in the Colorado mountains. I have evolved from a heavyweight backpacker to a lightweight backpacker and sometimes reach ultralight weights. My three day fall/winter solo adventures (using a tent) have me hovering around a 17 lb (7.7 kg) base weight.
      Age: 54
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email: sherpabob(at)mac(dot)com
      Location: Longmont, Colorado USA

      INITIAL REPORT

      October 2, 2011

      PRODUCT INFORMATION (From Website)
      Manufacturer: ExOfficio
      Manufactured: 2011
      Website: www.exofficio.com

      The shape shifting Storm Logic Jacket is made with a ripstop polyester that’s treated with DWR. The lining is made with Primaloft One, which is 14% warmer when dry and 24% warmer when wet than competing insulation. Wear this slightly puffy jacket to stay warm or to hold your head while you get some zzzz’s.

      Specs:
      • 100g of Primaloft in the chest and 60g in the arms
      • Shell constructed in a mini ripstop fabric: featherweight, polyester microfiber
      • Sizes Available: M-XXL
      • Size Tested: XXL
      • Colors available: Black, Deep Lapis, Dk Ivy, Lt Jade, Rust
      • Listed weight: NA
      • Actual weight (XXL): 20.3 oz (576 g)
      • Listed Sizing for XXL:
      Chest 49-51 in (124-129 cm)
      Neck 18-18.5 in (45-47 cm)
      Sleeve Length 35-36 in (89-91 cm)
      • MSRP: $150 US

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      This jacket is soft and luxurious. It is almost like wearing a sleeping bag. It drapes really well and it feels lightweight but at 20.3 oz (576 g), not so much.

      I chose the XXL size because I have a big chest, long torso and long arms. Often I will choose a tall version because it will fit my torso and arms better. If no tall version is available I typically choose the next larger size. After I first tried it on my decision to get the XXL was a good one. The overall fit is good for me. Not too bulky, so I can wear additional layers underneath and the arm length is just about perfect.

      The length of the jacket covers my entire posterior and angles up to the front. I like the extra coverage and with the elastic drawcords at the waist I will be able to seal out any drafts. There is a reflective logo on the lower hem on the front and one on the back of the collar. Another good feature so you can be seen at night if you are traveling.

      The jacket is insulated with Primaloft One synthetic insulation. More insulation is in the body area where it is needed and less in the arms. The insulation is not overly thick and I estimate it to be 3/8 in (7 cm) thick. Just feeling with my fingers I can not tell the difference between the thickness of the insulation in the arms and chest. They seem the same to me.

      The fabric is a polyester mini ripstop and is advertised to be wind and water resistant.

      The jacket has simple elastic cuffs that fit well and are not binding. It also has a multitude of pockets. Two zippered hand warmer pockets and a convenient zippered chest pocket. Inside the hand warmer pockets, in the bottom corner, you can pull on and stow the extra elastic drawcord from the waist band drawcords. This keeps the extra drawcord from simply dangling from the front of the jacket.

      The jacket is primarily marketed as a travel jacket. It has 4 interior pockets that are designed to accommodate tickets, passport, glasses and cell phone. Each specific pocket is labeled with an embroidered ikon of those items. There is even a handy key lanyard with a hook on the end to attach your keys. Your keys then go inside the zippered passport pocket for safe keeping. The pockets are well thought out but the embroidered ikons a bit overkill in my opinion.

      The other travel oriented feature of the jacket is the integrated pillow. Across the lower back on the inside is a long horizontal pocket that closes with hook and loop patches. These patches are less grippy then standard hook and loop. I simply took the jacket off, inverted the pocket and stuffed the jacket into a long tube. On each end of the stuffed tube are 2 short tabs, also with hook and loop. Attaching the tabs makes a semi circle pillow. The first time I attempted this it took a lot longer than I thought it would. It is a bit of a challenge to get the hook and loop tabs lined up. A zipper would have been a simpler option.

      Presto, Chango - Travel Pillow
      Likes:
      • The fabric is soft and luxurious
      • Lots of pockets
      • Fits me really well without being bulky

      Dislikes:
      • A bit heavy for backpacking, though it is really made for travel
      Check back in 2 months for the field report.

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and ExOfficio for the opportunity to test this Jacket.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
        Bob Sanders <rscreative@...> wrote on 10/02/2011 04:33:59 PM:

        > Hi James,
        >
        > Here is my Initial Report for the ExOfficio Logic Jacket. My
        > apologizies for being a couple days late.
        >
        > I have uploaded the HTML into the test folder and here is the link.
        > http://tinyurl.com/694uejl

        Hi Bob. Thank you for your ExOfficio Storm Jacket Initial Report. Sorry
        to hear you are having troubles with the layout once the report is
        uploaded. I think it actually looks really good, although there a font
        issue described below. If you need help you can join the
        BGTFileUploadHelp group and ask for help there.

        You have a very well written report with excellent pictures. Please see
        my edits below and adjust your report accordingly. Once you are satisfied
        with the report, please upload it to the official folder. Please don't
        forget to delete the copy in the test folder.

        Thanks again!

        James E. Triplett
        ExOfficio Storm Logic Jacket Monitor

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        [Edit] General comment. The font of your report starts out as Times New
        Roman, until the "INITIAL IMPRESSIONS" section. There it changes to what
        looks like Arial. Then the paragraphs that start "The jacket is primarily
        marketed as a travel jacket" and "The other travel oriented feature of the
        jacket is the integrated pillow" are back to Times New Roman, as well as
        the "Presto, Chango - Travel Pillow" caption. After that it's back to
        Arial.

        Website: www.exofficio.com
        [EDIT] Your link tries to take me somewhere on the BGT site, not the
        ExOfficio site.

        The shape shifting Storm Logic Jacket is made with a ripstop polyester
        that's treated with DWR.
        [Edit] You may want to spell out DWR the first time it is used. Direct
        Web Remoting? Design Within Reach? Division of Water Resources? Oh
        yeah, Durable Water Repellent.

        100g of Primaloft in the chest and 60g in the arms
        [EDIT] Even if this is from the website, you should still provide the
        conversion to ounces.

        Listed weight: NA
        [Comment] Interesting. They list a weight for the women's, but not the
        men's. I couldn't find it either.

        Storm Logic Jacket <image>
        [Edit] You may want to give credit to ExOfficio for the first jacket
        image.

        The insulation is not overly thick and I estimate it to be 3/8 in (7 cm)
        thick.
        [EDIT] My conversion for 3/8 inch is .95 cm. (7 cm is 2 3/4 inches.)

        Just feeling with my fingers I can not tell the difference between the
        thickness of the insulation in the arms and chest.
        [Edit] Cannot (one word).

        Each specific pocket is labeled with an embroidered ikon of those items.
        [EDIT] "ikon" should be "icon".

        The pockets are well thought out but the embroidered ikons a bit overkill
        in my opinion.
        [EDIT] "icons".

        These patches are less grippy then standard hook and loop.
        [EDIT] "then" should be "than".

        Attaching the tabs makes a semi circle pillow.
        [EDIT] "semi-circle" should have a hyphen.

        Presto, Chango - Travel Pillow
        [Comment] Exceptional picture!

      • Bob Sanders
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
          Thanks James,

          I have made the changes. I am still trying to figure out why the HTML code gets changed when I upload. If I can't figure it out (I have posted a question to the BGTFileUpload Group. Maybe someone over their can steer me in the right direction.

          The font issues you described are one of the things that gets changed upon upload.

          Thanks so much,
          Bob