IR - MONTBELL U.L. TECH DOWN PANTS - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011
      Please find my Initial Review at: http://tinyurl.com/IR-MONTBELL-DOWN-PANTS-MET

      and below.

      I kindly request your edits prior to weighing the pants due to firewall issues I am having at work, which happens to be where my scale is located.  I will weigh the pants tomorrow and ensure it is included in the uploaded version.  Thank you in advance for your understanding.

      Best regards,
      Mark

      MONTBELL U.L. TEC DOWN PANTS
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      IR
      October 02, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mark Thompson
      EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Parker, CO
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)

      Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing.  Most of my adventures presently take place in Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains.  For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs 15 lbs/6.8 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11.3 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed usually ranges from 2.5 - 3.8 mph (4.0 - 6.1 kph) depending on elevation gain.  For multi-night backpack trips, my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0 mph (2.4 - 4.8 kph).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: MontBell
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.montbell.us">>
      MSRP: US$180.00
      Listed Weight: 13.3 oz (377 g) (size med)
      Measured Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
      Other details (from their web site):
      - High quality 800 fill power hypoallergenic goose down
      - 15-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon shell & lining
      - 50-denier nylon taffeta for reinforcements
      - 100-wash rated Polkatex®® DWR treatment
      - Color: CHBK(Charcoal Black)
      - Fill Weight : 2.4 oz.
      - Compressed: 4.9" x 8.6" (stuff sack included)
      Photo courtesy MontBell.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The pants arrived sealed in a plastic bag and packaged in a plain cardboard box.  There were no instructions or corporate literature in the package but the tags sewn on to the garment provide care instructions and contact information for MontBell in Boulder, CO.
      The pants look exactly like the picture on the manufacturer's web site.  They are a full-feature pant with a checkered sewing pattern, two protective layers, full length leg zippers, elastic waistband with drawstring, a zippered fly and snap, and two zippered front pockets.
      Protective Layers:
      The first on the front starts at mid-thigh and goes downwards, covering the front of the pant leg.  The second covers the seat.  Both of these appear to be sewn on top of the base garment and appear to add a level of abrasion resistance to protect the insulating material.
      Full length leg zippers:
      The zippers start at the leg cuff and go all the way up through the waist band.  This will enable me to take the pants on and off without having to worry about getting the pants around my boots or crampons.  The zipper is covered with a snap and the cuff and is backed by a flap on the inside to keep the cold out.
      Elastic Waist Band:
      The waist band is elastic in the back and has elastic draw strings in the front.  With leg zippers that go all the way through the waist band, this is nice way to keep things snug.
      Zippered fly:
      The front zipper is covered at the top with a snap and insulated behind (certainly don't want drafts here).
      Front pockets:
      The front pockets are zippered (down when open) with nice zipper pull strings.  The pockets are located such that contents are inside the pants, thus protected by the insulation.  The zippers are adjacent and parrallel to the leg zippers.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Other than trying the pants on in my living room, my first event was near Allenspark, CO.  My plans had changed over the weekend and rather than go from Boulder to Leadville, we stopped at a family cabin for the night.  Upon arrival, the temperature was a warm 38 deg F (3 deg C) which was fairly close to the low for the night.  With my desire to test the pants, I opted for an afghan in leiu of a sleeping bag and I was not disappointed.  I was surprisingly warm throughout the night.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      My climbing card (similar to a dance card, but since I don't dance...) continues to keep full.  Next weekend I will be taking a course on setting anchors for rock climbing.  This will be a full day in the field with lots of standing around on exposed rock formations.  The following weekend I am back to climbing mountains with Mt Huron and the "Apostles" on tap, then it's back to rock climbing with Hill Billy Heaven in my sights.  I expect my winter to continue on this type of active pace and plan to include these pants throughout these adventures.

      SUMMARY

      The pants look fantastic!

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2011
        Hi Mark-

        Sorry for the delay, but here are your edits on the Montbell Down Pants test.

        Edits follow the usual EDIT (must change)/Edit (think about change)/Comment (other thoughts) convention.

        Please fix and upload to the test folder when ready. Don't forget to delete the original from the Test folder.

        See you in 2 months.

        -larry

        ------

        Edit: SHOE SIZE (US/EUR): Men's 11/45-46
        >>>Since this a pants test, you could probably remove the shoe size info!

        Edit: Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing.
        >>>I think you need an `and' or `but' after the first comma

        EDIT: MSRP: US$180.00
        >>>please put a space before the dollar sign

        EDIT: Measured Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
        >>>I saw your note in the post--please don't forget to add this info.

        EDIT:- Color: CHBK(Charcoal Black)
        >>>add a space before parenthesis

        EDIT: - Fill Weight : 2.4 oz.
        >>>Remove space before colon. Also, please add metric data

        EDIT- Compressed: 4.9" x 8.6" (stuff sack included)
        >>>please add metric data

        Edit: The first on the front starts at mid-thigh and goes downwards, covering the front of the pant leg. The second covers the seat.
        >>>I assume you mean the first layer and the second layer, but I suggest indicating this explicitly. ("The first layer on the front… " and "The second layer covers…")

        EDIT: parrallel to the leg zippers.
        >>>parallel

        EDIT: I opted for an afghan in leiu of a sleeping bag
        >>>lieu

        Comment:TESTING STRATEGY
        >>>This section is no longer necessary in Initial Reports, but you can keep it if you like.

        Comment: SUMMARY