Fw: IR - Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T. Multitool - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011

      Please find my IR at:  http://tinyurl.com/IR-FAST-MET

      and below for your editing pleasure.

      Best,
      Mark

      GERBER CRUCIAL F.A.S.T.
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      IR
      September 30, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mark Thompson
      EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Parker, CO
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)
      SHOE SIZE (US/EUR): Men's 11/45-46

      Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing.  Most of my adventures presently take place in Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains.  For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs 15 lbs/6.8 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11.3 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed usually ranges from 2.5 - 3.8 mph (4.0 - 6.1 kph) depending on elevation gain.  For multi-night backpack trips, my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0 mph (2.4 - 4.8 kph).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Gerber
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.gerbertools.com">>
      MSRP: US$75.00
      Listed Weight: 5.8 oz (164 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.8 oz (164 g)
      Other details: A multi-component tool with "Forward Assisted Spring Technology"

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T.  Multitool arrived in a rather plain package without any of the "normal" paperwork.  The warranty was printed on the outside of the box, but there were no operating or maintenance instructions (I guess they figure that everyone knows how to use one or that nobody reads the product literature).
      I haven't really figured out how many components the manufacturer is claiming, but here is what I found:
           - One knife blade
           - Two screw drivers
           - One bottle opener
           - One pair of pliers with 3 sections
                - on the tip, a needle nose
                - in the middle, standard pliers
                - at the base, a cutting section
           - A belt clip
      The tool is a bit on the hefty side (a full ounce heavier than my 40 year old swiss army knife) but has a nice feel and pliers!

      TRYING IT OUT

      Being male, the first thing I had to do was to check out the blade.  The safety lever didn't operate smoothly and gave me some initial challenges as I wasn't sure if it was the spring loaded type or the on/off variety.  It turns out that it is the on/off variety and I just needed to push it all the way off.  The next challenge was to get my thumb to activate the "Forward Assist Spring Technology" on the knife blade.  I wasn't too successful and ended up testing the edge on the blade and, consistent with every other Gerber knife I have owned, the blade is razor sharp!  All the other components operated smoothly and presented a solid, confident feel!

      TESTING STRATEGY

      My intention is to replace my aging Swiss Army Knife (I bought it in Zermatt, Switzerland nearly 40 years ago) so my testing strategy is to simply use this tool like I would my trusty knife.  There are obvious differences between the old and the new, but times have changed and so have the requirements for a field tool.

      SUMMARY

      The Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T. appears to be a well built tool that has a nice feel.  I hope to become more adept at using the F.A.ST. and actually get the blade out safely with one hand.
      A special thanks to Gerber and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me the opportunity to test this tool.

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.

    • ftroop94
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2011
        Mark,

        Good start on the Gerber IR. Since there are a few key edits including changing some of the information around as listed below, I'd like you to post it back to this site and the Test File before we finalized the edits and upload it to the site.

        Thanks in advance,

        Steve

        >>Manufacturer's Website: http://www.gerbertools.com
        EDIT: Gerber's website is actually as follows: www.gerbergear.com
        The site you linked is an online merchant, whereas the latter is the actual manufacturer's link. The site also bullet points the all the components. I'd suggest adding them to the Products and Description section and citing the source.

        >>I haven't really figured out how many components the manufacturer is claiming, but here is what I found:
        - One knife blade
        - Two screw drivers
        - One bottle opener
        - One pair of pliers with 3 sections
        - on the tip, a needle nose
        - in the middle, standard pliers
        - at the base, a cutting section
        - A belt clip
        EDIT: See above. It appears the knife and serrated blade are considered individual components per the Gerber site. If you want to note this `stretching it' or `splitting hairs' in your opinion feel free to do so, but based on the website info you need to correct the previous portion.

        I think you need add a little more information about the knife here in the INITIAL IMPPRESSIONS category. In the TRYING IT OUT section you mention the F.A.S.T. technology. It would be a good idea to go a little more into how what this is and how it works in your opinions. You also mention the safety lever in the ensuing section, but I'm a little confused about it. I would suggest expanding on this in the I.I. section. You mention it is heavy. How does it feel in the hand? Is it smooth, textured? Just a few ideas to share with the average reader that wants to learn about the knife and whether or not it may be a good fit for them!

        >>The tool is a bit on the hefty side (a full ounce heavier than my 40 year old swiss army knife) but has a nice feel and pliers!
        EDIT: Swiss

        >>TESTING STRATEGY
        My intention is to replace my aging Swiss Army Knife (I bought it in Zermatt, Switzerland nearly 40 years ago) so my testing strategy is to simply use this tool like I would my trusty knife. There are obvious differences between the old and the new, but times have changed and so have the requirements for a field tool.
        EDIT: BGT no longer suggests using this in reports, as we go over it in the application. Feel free to put some of this information into the summary.

      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
          Hi Mark - Since I am testing this too, I was interested in your opinions
          and reading your report. Well done.

          In addition to Steve's edits, I did notice a couple of things. 1) The
          price should be $58 US. 2) You have your shoe size listed in the Tester
          Information section. Probably don't need that.

          Best regards,

          Jet