IR - Gerber - Crucial F.A.S.T. Red pocket tool - James Triplett

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2011
      Hi Steve... This should be fun having each other's tests to edit at
      approximately the same time!

      Please find the text and link for my Initial Report on the Gerber Crucial
      F.A.S.T. Red pocket tool.

      I noticed that when I go to the Gerber site via the link in the test call,
      the Crucial Red comes right up, and appears to be in the "Outdoor"
      section. However, when I simply go to the home page for Gerber, no amount
      of searching could lead me to that same page. I did not report on this,
      but Gerber may not sell many of these if the page is hidden...

      Anyway, here are the links. I look forward to your feedback

      James E. Triplett

      http://tinyurl.com/JETsCrucialTool
      -or-
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/folder.php?operation=doupload

      +++++++++++++++++++++++
      <Image> CRUCIAL FAST RED - Pocket Tool

      <Image> Gerber Crucial FAST Red Pocket Tool

      by James E. Triplett
      Initial Report - September 28, 2011

      Personal Biographical Information:
      Name: James E. Triplett
      Age: 51
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
      Weight: 196 lb (89 kg)
      Email address: james_triplett@...
      City, State: Cedar Rapids, Iowa - USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I am an experienced hiker, backpacker, and camper, and am gaining more
      experience with winter camping every year. I hike every day, and backpack
      when possible, which leads to many weekends backpacking and camping each
      year. I try and take at least one annual week-long backpacking trip in
      addition to many one to three-night weekend trips. My style can best be
      described as lightweight, but not at the cost of giving up too much
      comfort. I generally sleep in a tent, and seem to be collecting quite a
      few of them to choose from.

      Manufacturer Information:
      Manufacturer: Gerber

      Product Information:
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Date Item Received: September 24, 2011

      Item being tested: Crucial FAST Red
      Model number: 31-000791
      MSRP: $58 US
      Listed weight: 5.8 oz (165 g)
      Actual weight: 5.75 oz (163 g)
      Overall Length: 5.5 inches (14 cm)
      Closed Length: 4.8 inches (12.2 cm)
      Measured Overall Length: 5 5/8 inches (14.3 cm)
      Measured Closed Length: 3 7/8 inches (9.8 cm)

      Additional Gerber Crucial FAST Red information:
      (from the www.gerbergear.com website)

      * 8 Components (count um...)

      1. Half Fine/Half Serrated Blade
      2. Long Medium Flat Head Driver
      3. Long Square Cross Driver
      4. Bottle Opener
      5. Needlenose Pliers
      6. Regular Pliers
      7. Pinch Style Wire Cutters

      * Partially Serrated Blunt Tip Blade
      * Safety Lock On Blade
      * Liner Locks On All Components
      * Longer Drivers
      * Large Thumb Stud - For easy opening
      * G-10 Handle For Better Grip

      <Image> Gerber Crucial Expanded

      Initial Report
      September 28, 2011

      General Information:
      The Gerber Crucial FAST came in a cardboard box without any literature.
      Printed on the box, is warranty information (Gerber warrants to the
      consumer that this product will be free of defects, in material and
      workmanship for as long as you own the product.), and basic philosophy
      behind the Crucial FAST. There are no instructions for use or care.

      The Gerber website explains that "The Crucial F.A.S.T. is the first and
      only pocket tool available with assisted opening blade technology."
      F.A.S.T. stands for Forward Action Spring Technology and is designed to
      easily open the knife blade with one hand. Only the knife blade has this
      feature.

      <Image> Gerber Crucial Pocket Clip
      Pocket Clip on the Gerber Crucial.

      Initial Inspection:
      The Gerber Crucial FAST is a hefty little tool. At just over 1/3 of a
      pound (163 g), it feels quite solid in my hand. The red and black handles
      are attractive. The red handle looks to have an anodized metal surface.
      The black handle also appears to be anodized, but has an additional piece
      on the side, which forms a textured G10 (glass epoxy) grip. There is a
      lock for the blade on the black side of the black handle, and a pocket
      clip on the opposite side.

      <Image> Gerber Crucial in Plier mode
      Gerber Crucial Pliers.

      The Gerber website states that there are eight components to the knife,
      and then proceeds to list seven. It seems to be common practice to list
      as many features or components as possible on a multi-tool, and in my
      opinion Gerber pushes it a little here. In reality, there are only four
      items which can protrude from the tool, albeit several have more than one
      feature. There are two screw drivers, one knife blade, and the pliers.
      The pliers are actually needle-nose, regular pliers, and a wire cutter in
      one, so that's three components so far. The flat blade screwdriver is
      single use, but the Phillips screwdriver also contains a bottle opener,
      bringing the total to six components. There is only one remaining
      extremity on the Crucial, and that is the blade. I think the missing
      eighth component comes from the fact that the blade is both half fine and
      half serrated, which would give us eight components, counting the blade as
      two.

      <Image> Gerber Crucial Blade
      The Crucial knife blade counts as two components (smooth edge and serrated
      edge).

      The functioning of the tool was a little stiff right out of the box.
      Opening the Gerber Crucial into the plier configuration took some pretty
      forceful pulling. The screwdrivers opened easily. The evidence of the
      FAST technology is very apparent when opening the blade, although it did
      take some limbering up to get it to "snap" into the fully locked position.
      As the knife gets looser, and I get more proficient, this has started to
      work quite well.

      <Image> Gerber Crucial Plier Close-Up
      The Crucial Pliers count as three components (needle-nose, regular pliers,
      and wire cutter).

      The two screwdrivers and the blade all lock into the extended position.
      The screwdrivers use more traditional spring locks, which need to be
      pushed aside to retract the drivers. The blade lock is incorporated into
      the FAST forward action spring, and a little slide button on the outside
      of the tool needs to be activated for the blade to release so it can be
      folded back into the tool. This slide can also be slid when the blade is
      collapsed, locking it in the closed position, preventing it from
      accidently opening.

      <Image> Gerber Crucial flat blade screwdriver
      Standard Screwdriver. The serrated metal is the lock which is pushed to
      the side to release the driver.

      <Image> Gerber Crucial knife-blade lock
      Red means "Warning". With the red dot exposed the knife blade is
      unlocked.
      The raised black surface behind the slide is the G10 Grip.
      The small black material on the blade is the "thumb stud" for easy
      opening.

      Initial Report Summary:
      The Gerber Crucial FAST Red Pocket Tool is attractive and seems
      comfortable to hold. The finish is nice, and the pocket clip seems
      suitably long enough for use. The blade and drivers snap solidly into
      place and seem quit secure when locked. They are also easy to return to
      the folded position. The pliers take more effort to unfold, and fold, but
      they too seem well made, solid, and stay nicely in the usable position. So
      far everything seems first rate about this tool. It is pretty much what I
      expected, although the folded length is about an inch (2.54 cm) shorter
      than that reported on the website. I suspect a typo.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in approximately two
      months when I will add the Field Report section to this document.

      Thank you to Gerber and backpackgeartest.org for this testing opportunity.

      Respectfully submitted,

      James T.

    • ftroop94
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011
        Jet,

        Sorry for the delay in editng, I was on vacation last week work was wild this week.

        Great IR and only one edit that I suggest. Potentially take a look at centering the images as mentioned below.

        See you in two months!

        >> The Gerber Crucial FAST is a hefty little tool.

        EDIT: In my opinion the Gerber… or I believe the Gerber

        …I'd suppose there are some brutes out there that may think it was rubbery…

        >> The functioning of the tool was a little stiff right out of the box.

        Comment: My grandfather told me to W-40 every new knife for smoothness and rust protection…yet this could `alter' the product!

        >> Opening the Gerber Crucial into the plier configuration took some pretty forceful pulling.

        Comment: Spell check went nuts over the word `plier' and although I knew it had to be a word the internet dictionaries were just as confused. Therefore, I felt compelled to pull out my old OED (and yes the paper version) to verify the word was first used in 1568. I only mention this because it simply elates me to grab one of those musty old copies every once in awhile to simply dig through `em and edumicate myself!

        The images are excellent; my only questions/suggestion is whether or not to center them to detract from the white space on the HTML? I'd suggest taking a look and seeing whether it not it makes the read more fluid. I will leave that up to you in the end, a mere suggestion.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
          Hi Steve. Thanks for the edits. I had a three-day weekend, so just now
          got to them, fixed and uploaded the report.

          I agree with everything you said, but added a few comments below.

          Jet

          > Sorry for the delay in editng, I was on vacation last week work was
          > wild this week.
          >
          > Great IR and only one edit that I suggest. Potentially take a look
          > at centering the images as mentioned below.
          >
          > See you in two months!
          >
          > >> The Gerber Crucial FAST is a hefty little tool.
          >
          > EDIT: In my opinion the Gerber? or I believe the Gerber
          >
          > ?I'd suppose there are some brutes out there that may think it was
          rubbery?
          [JET] Good suggestion - fixed.

          > >> The functioning of the tool was a little stiff right out of the box.
          >
          > Comment: My grandfather told me to W-40 every new knife for
          > smoothness and rust protection?yet this could `alter' the product!
          [JET] I usually use 3-in-1 sewing machine oil. I thought I'd see how it
          worked for a while first though. Maybe even for the whole test as it
          seems to be loosening up.

          > >> Opening the Gerber Crucial into the plier configuration took some
          > pretty forceful pulling.
          >
          > Comment: Spell check went nuts over the word `plier' and although I
          > knew it had to be a word the internet dictionaries were just as
          > confused. Therefore, I felt compelled to pull out my old OED (and
          > yes the paper version) to verify the word was first used in 1568. I
          > only mention this because it simply elates me to grab one of those
          > musty old copies every once in awhile to simply dig through `em and
          > edumicate myself!
          [JET] I agree. I like using the alternate spelling of Grey, just for
          fun. I used "Plier" as that is what Gerber had.

          > The images are excellent; my only questions/suggestion is whether or
          > not to center them to detract from the white space on the HTML? I'd
          > suggest taking a look and seeing whether it not it makes the read
          > more fluid. I will leave that up to you in the end, a mere suggestion.
          [JET] I don't think I have ever centered images, but I'm game for
          something new. I centered all the images and their captions.

          Thanks again Steve...

          Jet
          PS: Did you notice my tinyurl?