LTR - Kayland Hunter USA Boots - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2011
      TED,

      I'm happy to send in my LTR and wrap this one up. It is a great boot, just
      too bad my foot shape didn't like it. Hopefully my review is fair, but let
      me know if I can tweak anything. Also, no photos of the boots. Looking back
      over my pictures, my feet were out of site. I suppose hiking alone has its
      advantages; staged shots with mini-tripods. May have to write an OR for that
      gadget too. Anyway html link and text version follow. Cheers!

      -Bretter

      http://tinyurl.com/427ep6d

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Since my last report I have worn the Hunter USA boots on two more
      backpacking trips and another car camping trip. This has resulted in an
      additional two more nights of backpacking use for a total of nine nights and
      over 118 mi (190 km).

      My first trip was a five night car camping trip in Salt Lake City, Utah. My
      family attended a trade show in town but camped at a campground.
      Temperatures were quite warm; 55 to 90 F (13 to 32 C) and with only one rain
      storm (overnight), the weather stayed great. I wore the boots on three
      occasions for an estimated 10 mi (16 km).

      Next, I took an overnight trip to the Mt Massive Wilderness in Colorado to
      hike to the top of this 14,421 ft (4,396 m) peak. Conditions were below
      average for the summer with overnight lows of 40 F (4 C) and highs at about
      65 F (18 C). It was quite windy at times, and there was also a slow drizzle
      for most of my hike down to camp and then out to my car. The round trip took
      me 14 mi (23 km) through subalpine forests and rocky summits.

      Finally, I made a quick overnight on Mt Huron in the San Isabel National
      Forest. My friends and I camped just under 12,000 ft (3,660 m) with clear
      skies and temperatures dipping to 35 F (2 C). Again, there was varied clear
      terrain in forests and over rocks, but this time there was ice to hike on in
      the morning. This trip was shorter at 6.75 mi (10.9 km)

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Kayland Hunter USA boots have served me well over the past two months.
      The peeling rand has not gotten any worse since the last report and overall
      the boots are in great shape. Dare I say that they have many more miles left
      in them until they fail!

      I noted in my field report that the breathability of the boots is superior
      to any membrane I have used before and that opinion remains unchanged. There
      just clearly is a difference in these boots that is a pleasant surprise. I
      had given up fill leather boots in part because of the heat factor in the
      summer, but I may need to rethink that. The other feature I really enjoyed
      was the high uppers. While not as bomb-proof as a gaiter, the boots did a
      great job at keeping stones and debris out of my boots. I did notice a
      couple of stones sneak in while climbing Mt Huron, but that was rare.

      I happened to have my annual checkup during the field report. I bring this
      up because my physician noticed my calcium deposits on my heels and asked if
      they caused me discomfort. I explained that they did and he was not
      surprised. This is the only spot the boots caused blisters on and my doctor
      felt like the calcium deposits were a significant contributing factor. I'm
      not sure when I will get this corrected but I should retract any negative
      comments about the heels given this new information.

      One thing I did notice more of these past two months were my toes hitting
      the front of the toe box. Coming down Mt Massive I noticed it the most. I
      have had this problem with shoes that were too small, but that didn't seem
      to be the case with these. The boots still fit well enough overall, but this
      was a minor concern.
      The Hunter USA boots are still quite stiff in the sole. There is some
      benefit to this, however. I feel like on the downhill sections, my foot
      really "rocks" down the trail; as if there is a perfect curve that eases my
      foot down. This is really nice over the long, arduous trails I have hiked.
      There continues to be excellent traction thanks to the aggressive lugs on
      the soles as well.

      SUMMARY

      Overall most of my opinions remain unchanged with these boots. While I have
      had some issues with fit, the quality of the waterproof, breathable membrane
      is unmatched. These are as rugged and durable boots as I could ever hope to
      own.

      Things I love:

      * eVent is absolutely awesome.
      * The high uppers really act like low gaiters.
      * Durable and bomb-proof (not literally).

      Things I don't:

      * I had some fit issues.
      * Stiff soles were a bit of a turnoff considering no opportunity for
      crampons.

      CONTINUED USE

      It pains me to say that I will likely retire these boots after this test.
      Because of the fit issues, I just can't make these boots work for me. Until
      I can treat the calcium deposits (which requires some recovery time) they
      just won't do. However, the eVent membrane is excellent and I am sad to let
      that go. Overall I like the boots. I felt pretty burly in them; especially
      knowing that these are used by Special Forces.

      I would like to thank Kayland for their generosity as well as the folks at
      BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> for allowing me to
      be a part of this test series.

    • Edward
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hi Brett,

        This looks just fine--seems objective to me. Upload at will and deleter the file in the test folder.

        Thanks!

        Ted

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Brett Haydin <bhaydin@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Things I love:
        >

        > * eVent is absolutely awesome.
        > * The high uppers really act like low gaiters.
        > * Durable and bomb-proof (not literally).
        >

        > Things I don't:
        >

        > * I had some fit issues.
        > * Stiff soles were a bit of a turnoff considering no opportunity for
        > crampons.
        >

        > CONTINUED USE
        >
        > It pains me to say that I will likely retire these boots after this test.
        > Because of the fit issues, I just can't make these boots work for me. Until
        > I can treat the calcium deposits (which requires some recovery time) they
        > just won't do. However, the eVent membrane is excellent and I am sad to let
        > that go. Overall I like the boots. I felt pretty burly in them; especially
        > knowing that these are used by Special Forces.
        >
        > I would like to thank Kayland for their generosity as well as the folks at

      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
          Thanks for your help on this series! Uploaded, deleted, done. See you out
          there!

          <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , Brett Haydin <bhaydin@...>