IR: Knudsen Recharge Sports Beverage Mix - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4 6:18 AM
      Christopher,
      Here is my IR for the Recharge Sports Mix. Thanks in advance for the edits.  Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/3w56p93

      Recharge Sports Beverage Mix

      Test
      Series by:
      Gail Staisil, Marquette, Michigan

      Page Contents
      (Two-report series):

      Initial Report - Sept
      4, 2011
      Long
      Term Report
      (NA)
      ________________________________
      Initial
      Report:
      Sept 4, 2011

      Tester
      Information

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age:59
      Gender:Female
      Height:5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight:145 lb (66 kg)
      Location:Marquette, Michigan
      USA
      Email:woodswoman
      2001 AT yahoo DOT com
      For
      the last 19
      years, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker
      and an off-trail navigator. Although
      I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority
      of my trips are in Michigan and Canada.My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb
      (8 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages more than 50 nights a
      year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions including
      relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.

      ________________________________
      Product Information

      Manufacturer
      Knudsen
      &
      Sons, Inc

      Website http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com

      Product Recharge
      Flavored Sports Beverage Mix

      Flavors
      Grape,
      Tropical, Lemon and Orange

      Manufacturer
      Weight   0.14 oz (4 g)
      each powdered pack, net wt for 8 packs - 1.12 oz (32 g)

      Tested
      Weight   1.1 oz/31.18 g (for all 8 packets without
      box) Note: My scale wouldn't
      calculate only 1 packet.

      MSRP NA

      ________________________________
      Initial Impressions
      and Product Description

      The Knudsen
      Recharge Flavored Sports Beverage Mix arrived with no issues. Four
      flavors of mix were included. Each small box included 8 powdered mix
      packets of one flavor (8 X 4 = 32 packets total). The separate boxes
      contained grape, tropical, orange and lemon flavors.

      The Recharge sports mix is marketed as a flavored sports beverage mix
      with electrolytes added. The all natural product has no added sugar,
      preservatives or artificial color.

      The general purpose sweetener used is called Rebiana. It is derived
      from
      the leaf of the stevia plant using a highly refined process. The US
      FDA (Food Drug Administration) approved the sweetener in 2008 as a
      general purpose sweetener. The sports mix is naturally gluten-free.

      ________________________________

      Nutrition
      Facts for All Flavors
      Serving Size: 8 fl oz (240
      ml), Amount Per Serving (1 packet makes 2
      servings)
      % of Daily Value*

      Calories
      10

      Total
      Fat  0g
      0%

      Sodium 30 mg
      1%

      Potassium 50
      mg
      1%

      Total
      Carbohydrate 1 g
      0%

      Dietary
      Fiber 0 g
      0%

      Sugars <1

      Protein 0 g

      Vitamin C
      10%, Niacin 10%, Vitamin B12 10%, Zinc 4%, Calcium 2%, Vitamin B6 10 %,
      Chromium 4 %, Pantothenic Acid 10%, Vitamin A 2 %, Not a significant
      source of other nutrients. *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000
      calorie diet.

      The ingredients list for all flavors is the same with the
      exception of the first ingredient. The grape flavor contains grape
      juice concentrate, the orange flavor contains orange juice concentrate,
      the lemon flavor contains lemon juice concentrate and the tropical
      flavor contains pineapple juice concentrate.

      The remaining ingredients for all flavors are: Maltodextrin, natural
      flavors, gum acacia, citric acid, malic acid, tripotassium citrate
      monohydrate, sea salt, tricalcium phosphate, rebiana, absorbic acid
      (Vitamin C), zinc picolinate, niacinamide (niacin), D-calcium
      pantothenate, (pantothenic acid), pyridoxine hydrochoride (Vitamin B6),
      cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), chromium polynicotinate.

      ________________________________
      Initial Impressions
      and Product Description

      Trying It Out:

      The mixing instructions for the drink mix
      are located on the side of the small boxes that they come in. The first
      step is to take a sip from a 16.9 oz bottle of water. I assume this is
      for those who buy a fresh bottle of water and don't fill a bottle
      themselves. This leaves room to add the drink mix. Having used a
      variety of drink mixes before I knew that the same thing can be
      accomplished by not filling a reusable bottle to the brim. That said, I
      complied.

      The second step was to empty the contents
      of 1 pack of Recharge into
      the water. Each packet already has a perforated tear strip so this was
      easily accomplished. The powder mix poured easily into my container
      with no mess.

       The third step is to replace the
      cap and shake until the powder
      dissolves. At first thepowder didn't immediately dissolve but
      looked
      rather suspended. After a minute or so it was completely dissolved and
      ready to drink.

      I tried the grape flavor at home and was
      pleased with the gentle but
      fruity taste. Idetected no aftertaste from the
      sweetener.

      Usually I
      don't drink water with mixes added while just at home so I was intent
      upon getting out in the field. I quickly packed for a short 3-day
      backpacking trip where I would get my first field results. I've already
      taken that trip and will provide data in the field report.

      Pros
      So Far

          * Electrolytes
      and vitamins

          * No sugar
      added
          * Low calorie

          * Tastes good

          * Easy to
      use
      Cons
      So Far

          *  None so far
      ________________________________

      Tester Remarks

      Thanks
      to Knudsen and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity to test the Recharge Flavored Sports Beverage Mix.This concludes my
      Initial Report. The Long Term Report
      will
      be appended
      this report in approximately three months from the date of this report.
      Please check back then for more information.

      Top of Page
    • Christopher Nicolai
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5 10:00 PM
        Gail,

        Thanks for the well-written report! Just a couple items for your
        consideration below. It is quite possible that these two items are exactly
        as you intended them, but I figured I'd point them out just in case. Feel
        free to upload when you have addressed these to your satisfaction.

        Cheers,

        Christopher

        Edit?
        > The remaining ingredients for all flavors are: Maltodextrin, natural
        flavors, gum acacia, citric acid, malic acid, tripotassium citrate
        monohydrate, sea salt, tricalcium phosphate, rebiana...
        ---Was "rebiana" not capitalized in the ingredient list? If not, it's fine
        to leave as-is, but I believe that it is a trademarked name that should be
        capitalized (as you did in the paragraph above).

        Edit?
        > Initial Impressions and Product Description
        ---You have the same header in two sections of your report. This may be
        intentional, and I think it's fine, but I figured I'd point it out in case
        you intended to have a different section heading for one of them.

        Comment:
        > Having used a variety of drink mixes before I knew that the same thing can
        be accomplished by not filling a reusable bottle to the brim. That said, I
        complied.
        ---Ha ha! I like your humor!

      • woodswoman
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6 7:59 AM
          Chris,
          Thanks for the quick edits...I appreciate it. I made the changes and deleted the test folder. In a few days I will be taking a two-week backpack journey. I packed plenty of Recharge....I likely will need it!!!!
          Gail