LTR- GSI Crossover Kitchen Kit- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2011
      Hello Jamie,
      I am a few days early but I will not be going bush in the next two weeks so
      here you go.
      See: http://tinyurl.com/3qll4cs
      Text version is below.
      Cheers
      Ralph

      Long Term Report
      During this phase I spent two nights out camping in the Melaleuca Park
      north of Perth.
      Although it is winter, temperatures have been unusually very mild. The
      minimum temperature was 5 C (41 F) ranging up to a maximum of 22 C (72 F).
      I also used the equipment at home to give them a good workout.

      The items that were used the most were the cutting board, spicer bottle,
      spoon, tongs and scourer in that order.
      As promised, I did use the camp towel but found it took a number of
      wipes before articles were dried. I put it down to the newness of the
      towel. It was a tad reluctant to absorb moisture. Perhaps after a good
      wash the surface would lose some of that "shine" and become much more
      absorbent. I did not really persevere with it. I am more of an air drier
      anyway in our warmer climate.

      The cutting board was used religiously. I tended to place a piece of
      paper (Scot Towel) under the board to protect food from the suspect
      hygiene surfaces that the board was used on and falling between the
      planks. Invariably, when cutting up food, some of it would fall off the
      edge of the board. By having the paper there, the food did not come into
      contact with the grubby surfaces.
      I even used it at home when my other wood cutting boards were dirty or
      being used for other purposed such as placing hot pots on them to
      protect the bench top. It is by far my favourite piece in the kit.

      cutting board

      cutting board

      My next favourite is the spicer bottle. It went on many day hikes also
      when I pulled it out at morning tea and lunch to sprinkle the condiments
      on my food. Fellow hikers in my group were all intrigued by the 4
      chambers and the twisting tops when selecting what spice to use. One
      even wanted to know if it was waterproof. She was thinking along the
      lines of a pack float when water gets inside the pack as happened to
      her. I did not know the answer as I have not done a pack float.
      However, a test at home when I submerged the bottle in water for over a
      minute passed with flying colours. No water got inside the bottle or the
      base cap.

      The spoon was used to stir my food when cooking and then to spoon it out
      onto my plate. I had only one occasion to use the measurements inside
      the spoon to calculate how much water was required to be boiled to
      rehydrate my evening meal. I needed 475 ml (2 cups). I took it to 500 ml
      (2.1 cups). That was 10 spoonfuls.

      The tongs had their usual workout with meal cooking when using a frypan
      to cook bacon, steak, sausages and chopped onion. I have not noticed
      any further melting of the tongs.

      When cleaning up I used the scourer in my collapsible kitchen sink and
      the scraper to remove food stuck to the base and sides of the frypan.
      All worked very well. The scraper has found a home in my own kitchen.

      Summary
      This kit is not for the Ultra Light backpacker as it has luxuries. It is
      in my opinion designed for the car based camper or the person who does
      not mind a bit of weight to enjoy luxuries.
      There are some items that I will cherry pick from the kit that will have
      a home in my backpack when I am not doing a car base camp. When I am
      doing a car base camp I will take the whole kit. However, I will not be
      using the spatula to cut food as the handle collapses under pressure. My
      knife will do that job.

      Thanks to GSI Outdoors and BackPackGearTest for allowing me to test this
      interesting kit.
    • Jamie Lawrence
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2011
        Hey Ralph,

        Thanks for another great test series. As always I found your reports
        enjoyable to read.

        You know the drill. Till next time...

        Jamie

        The cutting board was used religiously. I tended to place a piece of
        paper (Scot Towel) under the board to protect food from the suspect
        hygiene surfaces that the board was used on and falling between the
        planks. Invariably, when cutting up food, some of it would fall off the
        edge of the board. By having the paper there, the food did not come into
        contact with the grubby surfaces.
        I even used it at home when my other wood cutting boards were dirty or
        being used for other purposed such as placing hot pots on them to
        protect the bench top. It is by far my favourite piece in the kit.

        Edit: In the HTML it appears you need to insert an extra line between the
        2 above paragraphs or delete and have it as one large paragraph. Actually
        as I read this again I suspect delete is the best option.

        cutting board

        cutting board

        My next favourite is the spicer bottle. It went on many day hikes also
        when I pulled it out at morning tea and lunch to sprinkle the condiments
        on my food.

        EDIT: the word also sticks out. Just delete.

      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2011
          Edits all done.

          Thanks Jamie.