APPLICATION - Ex Officio Storm Logic - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2011
      Brett,

      Well, I figure you might as well get a workout with your first test call! Here is my app, just to put on the pile.

      1. DISCLOSURE

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 35
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
      Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast. I prefer simple, multi-use gear that I can rely on in a variety of conditions.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

      Most of my testing will be in the high desert of northern Arizona, with occasional trips along the Mogollon Rim. Elevation is around 7,000 ft (2,130 m). Located in a high desert, northern Arizona boasts a wide-range of conditions, with summer monsoons, moderate high daytime temperatures, and low temperatures during the night.

      I've had a busy summer of backpacking, recently completing a 50-miler with the Boy Scouts, and I have many more planned trips in the weeks and months ahead. I've got monthly weekend backpacking trips planned through the end of the year with the scouts. I usually go on one or two solo overnight trips in between my scouting adventures.

      My primary shelter is a hammock, and as such, I don't find traditional pillows very comfortable as the hammock supports my head, but not my neck. Instead, I usually roll up a jacket and fit it around the nape of my neck for support. The Storm Logic jacket would be a perfect sleeping companion with it's built-in travel pillow option -- just exactly how I'd hope to use it.

      As a jacket, the Storm Logic would be my primary insulating layer while hiking in the cooler fall season leading into winter. There is very little information on the web about the jacket, so I am really interested in the wind resistance (the windy season in Flagstaff kicks up in October-November), and how well it repels water.

      4. CURRENT TESTS & PREVIOUS REPORTS

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      Sea-to-Summit Dry Sack - FR - Sep 27
      Full Sail Piggyback Rider (Child Carrier) - FR - Oct 04
      Fenix MC11 Light - FR - Oct 04

      Report Uploads: 10 @ -0.2

      5. OWNER REVIEWS

      I have completed five (5) owner reviews in the last year.

      6. APPLICATIONS PENDING

      None

      I don't think this would compete with my app for the Selk'bag, in fact, I think they might compliment each other in a sleeping arrangement.

      7. EXTRA DUTIES

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor, editor, and call manager.

      I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new
      BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.

      Best,

      ~derek
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2011
        I've received applications from the following testers for the ExOfficio Storm Jacket:

        Bob Sanders
        Derek Hansen
        Jennifer Pope
        Andrea Murland

        If I have missed your app, please let me know asap. Selections to follow shortly :)

        Safe hiking everyone!