TEST CALL - There's a STORM a brewin'

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2011
      Our friends at Ex Officio are looking for three great testers to put the
      Storm Logic Jacket through the paces. Stay warm, but sleep well courtesy of
      the built in travel feature. You can see all the details at:
      <http://preview.tinyurl.com/testSTORM> http://preview.tinyurl.com/testSTORM.
      Both men's and women's are available for this call.

      Now this looks to be a popular test, and it is my first test call, so I
      expect to see a lot of quality (and brief) applications for this jacket.

      I'm looking for short apps that have the following:
      1. The opening disclaimer for testing
      2. Your bio, including any measurements specific to the test
      3. A brief test plan; just enough to demonstrate that you understand the
      product and where/how you will be testing it.
      4. A list of what you are now testing and a link to tester page

      5. Number of ORs in the past 12 months (not including your initial 2)
      6. Any apps you have outstanding. Please note if you have a preference if
      there is one that conflicts with, in this case, another jacket.
      7. Any additional BGT roles you play (mentor, monitor, etc.)

      Newbie limit does NOT apply, so this is great for our new testers!

      US shipping is included.

      Ralph is the mod

      Also, don't forget to cc me at bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com so your app
      doesn't get lost!

      Please include 'Ex Officio Storm Logic' in the subject line.

      This call will close September 9 at 11:00 PM MST.

      Good luck!

      Bretter

    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2011
        Brett,

        Well, I figure you might as well get a workout with your first test call! Here is my app, just to put on the pile.

        1. DISCLOSURE

        I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

        2. MY BRIEF BIO

        Name - Derek Hansen
        Age - 35
        Gender - Male
        Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
        Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
        Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
        Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

        I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast. I prefer simple, multi-use gear that I can rely on in a variety of conditions.

        3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

        Most of my testing will be in the high desert of northern Arizona, with occasional trips along the Mogollon Rim. Elevation is around 7,000 ft (2,130 m). Located in a high desert, northern Arizona boasts a wide-range of conditions, with summer monsoons, moderate high daytime temperatures, and low temperatures during the night.

        I've had a busy summer of backpacking, recently completing a 50-miler with the Boy Scouts, and I have many more planned trips in the weeks and months ahead. I've got monthly weekend backpacking trips planned through the end of the year with the scouts. I usually go on one or two solo overnight trips in between my scouting adventures.

        My primary shelter is a hammock, and as such, I don't find traditional pillows very comfortable as the hammock supports my head, but not my neck. Instead, I usually roll up a jacket and fit it around the nape of my neck for support. The Storm Logic jacket would be a perfect sleeping companion with it's built-in travel pillow option -- just exactly how I'd hope to use it.

        As a jacket, the Storm Logic would be my primary insulating layer while hiking in the cooler fall season leading into winter. There is very little information on the web about the jacket, so I am really interested in the wind resistance (the windy season in Flagstaff kicks up in October-November), and how well it repels water.

        4. CURRENT TESTS & PREVIOUS REPORTS

        > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

        Sea-to-Summit Dry Sack - FR - Sep 27
        Full Sail Piggyback Rider (Child Carrier) - FR - Oct 04
        Fenix MC11 Light - FR - Oct 04

        Report Uploads: 10 @ -0.2

        5. OWNER REVIEWS

        I have completed five (5) owner reviews in the last year.

        6. APPLICATIONS PENDING

        None

        I don't think this would compete with my app for the Selk'bag, in fact, I think they might compliment each other in a sleeping arrangement.

        7. EXTRA DUTIES

        > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

        I am a test monitor, editor, and call manager.

        I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new
        BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.

        Best,

        ~derek
      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2011
          I've received applications from the following testers for the ExOfficio Storm Jacket:

          Bob Sanders
          Derek Hansen
          Jennifer Pope
          Andrea Murland

          If I have missed your app, please let me know asap. Selections to follow shortly :)

          Safe hiking everyone!