APPLICATION - Gerber Crucial FAST - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      Derek,

      I'm surprised that more people aren't jumping on this. This looks really
      neat! I missed the first deadline because of work and family demands, but
      things are easing up quite a bit. Therefore:

      2) Please accept my application to test the Gerber Crucial FAST pocket tool.
      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4 and 5 and will
      comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester
      agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected
      use requirements and I am sure I will exceed the required use.

      ------
      3) Bio

      Name: Brett Haydin
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      Waist: 36 in (91 cm)

      Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
      Location: Salida, Colorado USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being
      involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer
      camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain,
      although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take
      one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18
      kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight
      trips as well.

      ------
      4) Test Plan

      September - January: I am a year-round backpacker and the next four months
      are generally pretty busy. I will be hiking primarily in Central Colorado
      through October and likely heading south to New Mexico (where my sister
      lives) for some hiking in the remaining months. I am focusing on high
      altitude climbing this year so many of my trips will take me over 14,000 ft.
      (4,270 m) along alpine forests, meadows and tundra. Snow is almost assured
      in the area which will require more effort, so I will definitely be able to
      comment on how easy the tool is to use while gloved. After experimenting
      with a number of tools over the years, I have found that while I carry a
      pocket tool with a knife, I generally carry a separate knife as well. My
      hiking pals also look to me as the "MacGyver" of the group; when something
      breaks I am prepared to fix it.

      ------
      5) Current Tests and Stage (5):
      - GSI Crossover Kitchen Kit (LTR due 9/13/11)

      - Kayland Hunter USA Boots (LTR due 9/27/11)

      - CamelBak Highwire (FR due 9/20/11)

      - Full Sail Piggyback Rider (FR due 10/4/11)

      - Jetboil Sol Ti (LTR due 10/11/11)

      Status Page: <http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1823.htm>

      5a) OR's completed in past year: 1

      ------