APPLICATION: Magellan eXplorist 310 GPS Receiver - Mike Curry

  • the_fish_guy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2011
      I am pleased to provide my application below for the Magellan eXplorist 310 GPS Receiver for your consideration.

      I have read the BGT Survival Guide, v. 0609, Ch. 4, ,5 and 6 (and all other parts) and agree to follow all requirements found therein. My signed tester agreement is on file. If selected, I will provide the best test which I am capable of.

      PERSONAL BIO

      Name: Mike Curry
      Email: thefishguy@...
      Age: 41
      Location: Aberdeen, Washington
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11" (1.80 M)
      Weight: 210 lb (95.30 kg)

      I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for the last 27 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, but these days (having small kids) most of my trips run on the shorter side of things, and tend to be in the temperate rainforest. While I've carried packs (with winter climbing gear) in excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I get the more minimalist I become.

      TEST PLAN

      My basic test plan is this: I'll use the eXplorist 310 on all my backpacking trips, climbing trips, day hikes, and for geocaching during the test period, then I'll report on its performance. This should amount to about 6-7 nights backpacking minimum, a dozen or so dayhikes, and several geocaching outings. I'm relatively new to geocaching, having just began with my kids last year, but am very experienced with GPS (having used them for over a decade).

      My testing will occur in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains of Washington State, and along the Wilderness Coast strip of Olympic National Park. I will be able to evaluate the devices operation under some of the densest forest canopies in the United States and terrain ranging from flat and rolling to deep canyons and exposed ridges. It will see use in all sorts of weather including snow, heavy exposure to salt spray, and torrential rain (we're the wettest place in the lower 48). I'll be able to test a very broad range of conditions, and report on how accurate the device is and how easy it is to operate under those conditions.

      I will look specifically at how easy it is it operate, how functional it is, and how well it operates (including changes in ease of use under adverse conditions or while wearing gloves, etc.).

      LINK TO PREVIOUS TEST REPORTS: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/thefishguy

      LINK TO TESTER STATUS PAGE: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1731.htm

      CURRENT TEST LOAD: JakPak (LTR due tomorrow, then none . . . notes on tester page show extension)

      CURRENT APPLICATIONS: None

      CURRENT ROLES AT BGT: Monitor, Mod (Tester and Manufacturer Database)

      Thank you for your consideration!