FR: Sherpa Vajra Jacket - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
      Ray, et al:

      Herewith is my Field Report on the Sherpa Vajra jacket.  The HTML file is available via this link: http://snipurl.com/t4620 for your review.  The text version is inlcluded below as well.

      Thanks in advance for your comments / suggestions.  Ryan

      FIELD REPORT
      August 2, 2011

      Likes Thus Far

          stylish look
          lightweight
          warmth
          moisture repellency

      Dislikes Thus Far

          none at this time

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:

      Idaho Falls, located in southeastern Idaho, is approximately 4,500 ft (1,372 m) above sea level. Temperatures on the nights worn were in the mid 30s to low 40s F (1.7 - 8.3 C). Winds were generally mild.

      Island Park Scout Camp (IPSC), located between Ashton, Idaho and West Yellowstone, Montana, is approximately 6,500 ft (1,981 m) above sea level. During the nine days I spent at IPSC, the high temperature was 57 F (14 C) and the low was 32 F (0 C). It rained three consecutive days, and on Monday June 13, we received nearly 0.5 in (1.3 cm) of rain in a very short, but heavy downpour.

      Observations:

      Although temperatures during this phase of the test were generally quite warm, I did have opportunity to wear the Vajra several days. I must say, the jacket performed great. Early in this test phase, I wore the jacket on late-night walks in my neighborhood. It was light enough to not be too warm, but provided an excellent barrier against the cool of the night. The Vajra got a real test in mid-June at Island Park Scout Camp. At IPSC, the days were long, 18+ hours, and I walked most of the 103 acre (0.42 km2) camp; several times over. Because the early mornings and evenings/nights were cool, I wore the Vajra every day. In addition to the cool temps, we had three consecutive days of rain.

      Worn by itself, the Vajra provided adequate warmth while walking camp and while relatively inactive during program camp fires. It was also great during the light to moderate rains; it repelled water very well, the stand-up collar kept my neck dry, and the synthetic insulation kept me plenty warm. During the heaviest downpours, I donned a hooded hard-shell over the jacket. This combination got quite a workout as it was my go-to system during the heaviest rains. The lightweight Vajra provided plenty of insulation by itself and when combined with an outer shell. Based on its performance against the lighter rains, it may have been sufficient by itself during the heavy downpours. Had I had a better hat to protect my poor bald head, I would have given it a go. As a result of wearing it alone and in combination with a hardshell, I am very pleased with the Vajra. I see this lightweight insulative layer getting lots of work in the future by itself, and combined
      with a hardshell or even a heavier insulative jacket on cold, wet days and nights.

      The jacket fits me nicely around the neck and through the shoulders and torso. The sleeves are long enough for my arms and the tail extends enough to help keep my big behind warm and dry. The jacket does not bind in the shoulders/pits. There are no loose threads, runs in the polyester shell, and the zippers work smoothly. Thus far, this has been a great jacket.

      This concludes my Sherpa Adventure Gear Vajra jacket Field Report. Please check back in two months for more results. Thanks to Sherpa Adventure Gear and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to test these boots.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
        Hi Ryan,

        Just one edit for you. See you in a couple months.

        Ray

        *** Thanks to Sherpa Adventure Gear andBackpackGearTest for allowing me to test these boots.

        EDIT: Boots?
      • RyanC
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
          Ryan,

          Thanks for the quick turn on the edits. Sorry about my hasty cut and paste. Correction made, file posted in appropriate folder, and file deleted from the TESTS folder.

          See you in a couple of months.

          Ryan
        • RyanC
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
            OOPS!!! This should have been addressed to RAY.

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "RyanC" <bigdawgryan@...> wrote:

            > Ryan,
            >
            > Thanks for the quick turn on the edits. Sorry about my hasty cut and paste. Correction made, file posted in appropriate folder, and file deleted from the TESTS folder.
            >
            > See you in a couple of months.
            >
            > Ryan

          • Coy Boy
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
              I just figured you was talkin to yourself...

              Coy Boy

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "RyanC" <bigdawgryan@...> wrote:

              > OOPS!!! This should have been addressed to RAY.
              >
              > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "RyanC" <bigdawgryan@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Ryan,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the quick turn on the edits. Sorry about my hasty cut and paste. Correction made, file posted in appropriate folder, and file deleted from the TESTS folder.
              > >
              > > See you in a couple of months.
              > >
              > > Ryan

            • Ray
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011