IR - Full Sail International - Piggyback Rider - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19 9:22 PM
      Larry,

      I submitted my IR for your review. I feel like I leaned on the manufacturer
      pictures a bit much, but let me know if you think what I have is fine. The
      diagram is just far better than what I could make. Anyway, any and all edits
      are appreciated. Html is at: http://tinyurl.com/piggybackrider. Text is
      below. Thanks again for handling this series!

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Full Sail International, LLC
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: thepiggybackrider.com
      <http://thepiggybackrider.com/>
      MSRP: US$ 79.99
      Listed Weight: Less than 3 LB (1.4 kg)
      Measured Weight: 1 ln 15.5 oz (890 g)
      Child Carrier:1 lb 4.3 oz (580 g)
      Child Harness: 4.1 oz (120 g)
      Storage Bag: 7.1 oz (200 g)
      Color: Black/Gray (also available in pink)
      Warranty: Limited lifetime

      Other details provided by manufacturer:

      * Streamlined unisex design
      * One size, fully adjustable
      * Supports a child up to 60 lbs (27 kg), 2.5 years+
      * Four secure hand holds
      * Wide foot bar for stability
      * Child safety harness tethers to carrier
      * Padded shoulder straps with chest strap
      * Convertible multifunction carry bag / mudflap / pouch

      Product Description

      The Piggyback Rider by Full Sail International is a child carrier for
      children starting at about 2 1/2 up until they reach 60 lb (27 kg). It has a
      minimalist design which I find pretty neat. The photo at the top of this
      report shows the child carrier portion of the Piggyback Rider. It consists
      of a padded shoulder harness that wraps around the back of the neck. On the
      shoulder pads, there are two padded, nylon loops that serve as grips for the
      rider on both sides. There is a D-ring on either side as well for attaching
      the child's harness as well.

      The child stands on a metal bar that is 17 in (43 cm) long and 1.5 in (3.8
      cm) wide that is attached with 1 in (2.5 cm) webbing. The webbing is
      threaded through a buckle attached to each shoulder strap but is only
      adjusted on my right side. The weight of my son allows the webbing to slide
      through the middle of the bar. The image to the left shows the webbing
      threaded though the bar.

      There is also a sternum strap that is adjustable with a tongue and groove
      slider that has an integrated whistle in the quick release buckle. On the
      inside of the shoulder harness is a tag with care instructions and some
      information about the product.

      The child harness is similarly constructed; however the shoulder harness is
      much less robust. 1 in (2.5 cm) webbing encircles the shoulders and is
      adjustable with a buckle just like most backpack straps. There is also a
      piece of webbing with a clip at the end that attaches the child harness to
      the child carrier via the D-rings I mentioned above. The clips are plastic
      with a metal cage and swivel around. When attached, I have to say they
      remind me a little of load lifters on a backpack! The harness back is padded
      with what feels like neoprene and has "Ride the Bar!" embroidered on it.
      Cool, huh?

      The storage case is a sturdy nylon bag about the size of a small messenger
      bag; about 19 x 13 in (48 x 33 cm). There is a simple strap to carry on my
      shoulder. There are also two pieces of webbing that serve to attach the bag
      to the child carrier. Finally, there are three strips of hook and loop tabs
      to secure the bag. On one side there is a pocket that has hook and loop
      closures with another webbing strap in it. This serves to fold the bag
      tighter and more compact when not used as a mudflap. The image below is an
      excellent diagram from the manufacturer showing the components.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Piggyback Rider comes with two hang tags attached to the bag; one is an
      endorsement from MrDad.com and the other has information about the Piggyback
      Rider. I also received a water bottle accessory strap, Piggyback Rider
      sticker and the Piggyback Rider Safety & User Guide, but I am unsure if
      these are included in a retail purchase. The user guide is available online
      as well.

      I was pretty surprised at how light the Piggyback Rider is. The manufacturer
      states it is under 3 lb (1.4 kg) but I found it to be just under 2 lb (0.9
      kg). The construction is top notch from what I can tell and I like the
      whistle that is integrated. I was also surprised that there is no sternum
      strap on the child harness. I imagine there is a reason, but I wonder if my
      son can wriggle out if he tries.

      I admit that I am skeptical about the mudflap/pouch. I need to play around
      with it more but I hope that I can use it to store some small, but necessary
      items while hiking such as snacks, and maybe rain gear.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Child Tester: Liam, age 2 and 25 lb (11.3 kg)

      My son is a hiker. I suppose he takes after his dad that way, but he is
      always wandering around in the woods exploring and doesn't last long in a
      traditional child carrier before he wants to explore on his own. I fully
      embrace his enthusiasm, but lament the need to carry around a bulky child
      carrier when it is hardly used. A 3 mi (5 km) hike was no exception when
      testing out the Piggyback Rider. The picture to the right shows Liam and I
      on the Ptarmigan Lake Trail in the San Isabel National Forest in Colorado.
      He lasted about 15 minutes at a time in the Piggyback, but hiked about 3/4
      of the way up (he slept the whole way down).

      Getting a 2 year old in the Piggyback Rider was a little more challenging
      than I thought. I think for the first few trips it will definitely take
      practice (as the manufacturer states too). However, once aboard, Liam was
      all smiles. I found that the carrier is well balanced and even when Liam
      shifts his weight I don't find it awkward at all. The adjustable straps move
      freely and didn't slip when I used it.

      SUMMARY

      So far I think I am going to like the Piggyback Rider. It is lightweight,
      Liam seems to like it and it makes it easy to carry my little guy. I also
      like that I can get Liam on and off without having to remove the child
      carrier. I have no true complaints so far but am interested to see how I
      will put some of the other features to use.

      This concludes my Initial report. Please check back in another 2 months to
      see how well we are enjoying this unique item. I would also like to thank
      Full Sail International for their generosity as well as the folks at
      BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> for allowing me to
      be a part of this test series.

    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21 6:28 PM
        Hi Brett-

        Report looks good, and I'm glad the Piggyback Rider seems to be working well for you. Don't worry about using the manufacturer photos--I agree with you that they seem to show the features better than you could convey in your own photo. In any event, you have the photo of you and your son in there to show it 'in action'. I have a couple of minor EDITS for you, so please fix and upload when ready.

        See you in 2 months

        -larry

        EDIT: Listed Weight: Less than 3 LB (1.4 kg)
        >>>change `LB' to `lb'

        EDIT: Measured Weight: 1 ln 15.5 oz (890 g)
        >>>1 lb (it took me a while to figure this one out!)

        EDIT: Child Carrier:1 lb 4.3 oz (580 g)
        >>> Put a space after the colon

        EDIT:shows Liam and I on the Ptarmigan Lake Trail
        >>>Liam and me
      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26 10:42 PM
          Larry,

          Thanks for the edits! All is complete J Liam is warming up to the carrier
          already (I knew he would!). See you in a couple months.