IR - Big Agnes - Causeway Poles - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2011
      Hi to be determined Monitor,

      Link and text for my IR.  Thanks for the editing.
      Mike

      http://tinyurl.com/3sr94se

      BIG AGNES CAUSEWAY HELINOX POLES
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL
      IR
      July 01, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Pearl
      EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Woodstock, Vermont, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg)

      My backpacking experience began six years ago, after years of car camping. Most
      trips are for two or three days, some lasting a week. I hike with a group of two
      to four, with plans for a multi-day solo hike this summer. I pack a tent or tarp
      depending on availability of trail shelters. My average mileage is 15 mi (24
      km). While aware of weight, it is not my primary concern. I strive for enjoyable
      outings with functional, reliable gear. I usually travel in woodland mountain
      terrain. I am a three-season camper, but enjoy hiking all year.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Helinox
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.bigagnes.com" LINK
      TEXT = "www.bigagnes.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 134.95
      Listed Weight: 17 oz (482 g)
      Measured Weight: 19 oz (531 g) per pair with boots and baskets
      Measured Weight Rubber Boots: 0.6 oz (18 g)
      Measured Weight Baskets: 0.5 oz  (15 g)
      Listed Max Length: 57 in (145 cm)
      Measured Max Length:  57 in (145 cm)
      Listed Collapsed Length: 25 in (64 cm)
      Measured Collasped Length: 26 in (66 cm)
      Available With and Without Shock Apsorbtion
      Tested with Shock Apsorbtion
      Made in South Korea

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Causeway Poles arrived attached to a cardboard hanger.  The hang tag
      provides a fair amount of information. Here's most of it.
      The poles are made by DAC, the tent pole company, for Helinox and are
      distributed in the Americas by Big Agnes.  DAC and Helinox state their mission
      is to make outdoor gear that is the lightest weight with more strength and
      better quality and performance.
      An example of this is the DAC exclusive TH72M aluminum alloy of which the poles
      are made.
      While pushing for more advanced materials, environmental responsibility is also
      being achieved.  DAC uses the trademarked closed cycle process Green Anodizing
      which is nitric and phosphoric acid free.
      The Causeway is listed as ideal for extreme conditions and are available with or
      without a shock absorber.  The poles being tested are the GL145SA model, GL for
      groove lock, 145 for the length of the poles in centimeters and SA for shock
      absorption.  The Groove Lock is a trademarked feature used to lock the length of
      the poles.  The mechanism has no external buttons or levers.  There are internal
      grooves on the shafts that engage mechanically to lock the poles.  The handles
      are ergonomically shaped using hypoallergenic and breathable EVA.
      Sizing and care are also covered on the packaging with the following
      recommendations.
      Advice on sizing the poles gives the 90 degree rule of thumb.
      The only maintance recommedations is for after wet conditions.  You should
      separate individual segments and allow to dry thoroughly.
      The poles are held together with a small plastic clip.  A great idea for when
      the poles are in storage.  However, the clip doesn't have enough hold and the
      poles are easily dislodged.  I will be jettisoning the clip.
      The Causeway has three sections that slide into the one above it to adjust
      length.  Printed on the upper shaft is the Helinox logo and company web
      address.  As well as the model number and mention of the Groove Lock System.
      The grip has a long 8.5 in (14 cm) downward extension.  Three or four turns and
      the middle section easily extends.  Maximum and minimum lengths, weight and
      country of origin are printed on this section.  As well and length increments in
      5 cm intervals at each groove in the pole.  At the end of the middle section at
      stop point is printed.  I slowly continued to extended the pole disconnecting
      the two section to reveal the shock and locking mechanism.  The locking
      mechanism is a plastic piece that flairs out at the bottom when screwed down
      (locking the pole) to expand into groove on shaft it is housed.  When collapsing
      the pole, the opposite occurs.  There is a small metal pin at the top of the
      screw portion of the mechanism.  This prevents the flaring piece from being
      removed.  The shock is located below the locking mechanism and moves into the
      middle section when engaged.  The lower shaft works in the same fashion minus
      the shock.
      The tips are covered with a rubber boot and is removable.  The basket are 2.25
      in (5.7 cm) in diameter and are also removable.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The instructions are quick and easy.
      1. Unlock the sections to adjust.  Lock on selected groove.  The poles adjust in
      5 cm increments.
      2.  Maintain the middle section longer than the lower for increased stiffness.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Unlocking, extending and locking the poles is easy enough.  A slight click of
      the groove is felt.  When fully extended the poles easily flexed.  Adjusting
      down to my size of use, 120 cm.  I notice the lower section is labeled zero and
      then with -5cm intervals.  The middle section denotes the usable length.  At
      this setting 120 cm and 0 cm the pole still has a good deal of flex.  I then
      made the suggested adjustment of keeping the lower section shorter.  Now at 135
      cm and -15 cm the flex is greatly reduced but still noticeable.
       With the poles properly adjusted I walked upon and down my gravel driveway.
      The wrist strap is comfortable and easy to adjust with a pull to make it either
      longer or shorter.  The grip and extension are both of good shape and texture.
      But the diameter feels too small to me.  There is also a noticeable rattling
      sound and slight vibration when the poles strike the ground.  Holding the pole
      in the air and shaking it also creates the rattling sound.  The shock absorber
      is cushiony and easily engaged.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      During the coarse of a eight day backpacking trip in Yellowstone National Park I
      will focus on several points.  My biggest concern is the flex and rattle in the
      poles.  Will this lead to a bigger problem or just bug me?  Also of concern are
      the grips comfort and ability to handle moisture on all day treks.  How well the
      locking mechanism holds the set length.? Overall strength and durability will
      all be considered.

      SUMMARY

      The Helinox Causeway trekking poles are sleek and attractive.  I like the
      lightweight and stream line design of the Groove Lock.  I am concern about the
      flex and rattle in the poles, however.  I give DCA kudos for being a producer of
      outdoor gear that is concerned about the environment.
      This concludes my Initial Report.  Please check back in two month to see how the
      Helinox Causeway poles and I get along during Field Testing.
      I would like to thank Big Agnes and BackpackGearTest.org for making this Test
      Series possible.

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.