FR - Benchmade Bone Collector - Erin M. Hedden

  • Dingo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2011
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Benchmade%20Bone%20Collector%20-%20Erin%20M.%20Heddden/

      BENCHMADE 15000 BONE COLLECTOR
      TEST SERIES BY ERIN M. HEDDEN
      FR
      July 01, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Erin M. Hedden
      EMAIL: tookieblueeyes@...
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Southeastern Colorado U.S.A.
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 153 lb (69.40 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 4 years of age, taking long trips into the mountains with my family. I hike various terrains from mountains and plateaus to grasslands and prairies. My excursions can be a day hike with a light-weight waist pack, a loop trail taking up to 5 days on which I keep my pack as light-weight as possible, or an in-and-out trip for a night or two where my pack can be heavy. Slow and steady is my pace and I use a tent or a hammock depending on weather and terrain.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">><b>Manufacturer:</b> Benchmade
      <b>Model:</b> Bone Collector 15000-2 Caping Knife
      <b>Year of Manufacture:</b> 2011
      <b>Manufacturer's Website:</b> <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.benchmade.com/" LINK TEXT = "Benchmade">>
      <b>MSRP:</b> US $110.00
      <b>Listed Blade Length:</b> 4 in (102 mm)
      <b>Measured Blade Length:</b> 4 in (102 mm)
      <b>Listed Blade Thickness:</b> 0.140 in (3.56 mm)
      <b>Measured Blade Thickness:</b> 0.141 in (3.58 mm)
      <b>Listed Overall Length:</b> 8 in (203 mm)
      <b>Blade Material:</b> D2 Tool Steel (Carbon)
      <b>Blade Rockwell:</b> 60-62HRC
      <b>Measured Overall Length: </b>8 in (203 mm)
      <b>Listed Weight:</b> 3 oz (85 g)
      <b>Measured Weight:</b> 4 oz (113 g)
      <b>Listed Handle Thickness:</b> 0.590 in (15 mm)
      <b>Measured Handle Thickness:</b> 0.6 in (15 mm)
      <b>Handle Material: </b>Stabalized Walnut
      <b>Sheath:</b> Brown Leather
      <b>Listed Sheath Weight:</b> 2 oz (56 g)
      <b>Measured Sheath Weight:</b> 2 oz (56g)

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Benchmade 15000-2 Bone Collector fixed blade Caping knife came in a smart looking black box with green and white images and writing on it. The box center slid out to reveal the Bone Collector itself in its handsome leather sheath and a "User Care Manual".

      The sheath itself is made of a brown leather with a button snap thong to keep the knife secure. The impression of the Bone Collector image and its name is centered on the sheath itself and it stands out quite nicely against the lighter brown of the sheath itself. It appears to be well constructed and of high quality leather with a tough white cord used in its shaping and construction.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>The knife handle itself has a textured walnut handle with a rib cage pattern and it also has added jimping around the knife tang and blade for added grip and stability. The Bone Collector logo itself has also been burned into the end of the handle which gives it a very attractive look.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">>The blade is made of a D2 steel otherwise known as carbon steel and is a straight edge with the Benchmade name and D2 15000 USA printed clearly on the left side of the blade, while Michael Waddell's signature and the Bone Collector name is printed on the right hand side.

      READING THE USER CARE MANUAL

      Reading the care manual is easy enough and is written in English. They highlight the 3 different types of product classes they offer, the gold class, which is their premium line of products, the blue class, which is said in the manual to represent "the heart of everything that is Benchmade", and the black class, which encompasses products that are designed and developed for extreme duty.

      The manual also highlights the proper care and maintenance of the knife itself, the Benchmade LIFESHARP service, which states simply that Benchmade will resharpen the knife to factory edge for a nominal fee of $5 US which is just to cover the price of handling and return shipping.

      Also covered in the manual is the limited lifetime warranty and what is covered by the company along with a registration card for the owner to return to the company if one should choose to do so.

      TRYING IT OUT

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>Initially I used the knife to remove the wing bones of a Turkey to make myself a wing bone call for a future hunt and found that the blade cut through the meat of the birds wing with ease and separated the ligaments and tendons that were in the birds wing nicely. The amount of control over the knife was exceptional. I experienced no slippage or shifting of my hand when I applied a greater amount of pressure on the knife to cut through some of the feathers and bone.

      SUMMARY

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">>Overall my initial impression of the 15000-2 Bone Collector by Benchmade is a positive one. It is a very handsome tool and it feels quite balanced in the hand. The sharpness of the knife right out of the box was more than exceptional and it stood up to the task of removing the wing bones from a turkey wing the first time out and that impressed me. I am excited about the Bone Collector and look forward to using it a bit more as I feel that it is a very strong tool for any hunter to have on his side.

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>I used this fixed blade knife to dress a wild turkey after a successful hunt at Picketwire Canyon in Southeastern Colorado in April, it has been used to clean several trout and 1 channel catfish at Ordway Reservoir in Ordway, Colorado and it has been applied to many different common tasks at home and in 3 separate camps.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Benchmade Bone Collector 15000-2 proved to be proficient in dressing the wild turkey that was harvested during the hunt in Picketwire Canyon during April. It cut through the birds tough skin easily and I experienced no slippage even after the handle had been thoroughly coated with blood during the dressing process. The jibbing added to my grip on the knife as well.

      This knife also proved itself to be useful to clean and gut fish. Again I experienced no slippage during the process after the blade and the handle both had become coated in blood and the normal slime from the fish and its innards.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>In other common camp tasks such as opening vacuum sealed bags of food items and cutting cordage to proper length for hanging a bear bag or tying down tarps the knife performed well. When it came to slicing up Spam or cutting up jerky I had no problem using the Bone Collector.

      This knife kept its sharp edge after regular use and has only been in need of a few strokes over a sharpening stone twice during the past three months. It was never seriously dulled by any of the its regular applications.

      SUMMARY

      The Benchmade Bone Collector performed well during the many different occasions I have used it during wild turkey season, while fishing, at home and on the trail. It has never failed to perform well under any condition, even being coated in blood and fish guts, or after being used to cut through the tough joints of a bird.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>I have used this knife to clean, quarter and gut a large turkey then switched from cutting to scraping to remove excess material from the skin to preserve the feathers and beard for a wall mount. I also used the Bone Collector 15000-2 to separate bones from the wing of another bird and clean those bones off well enough to create a wing bone turkey call for future hunts.

      It performed exceptionally well during turkey season as well as during the more delicate task of gutting and cleaning fish. The knife went from the tough jobs to more straight forward tasks such as cutting twine and slicing jerky well and proved its ability to hold its edge well.

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.