IR - Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
      James,
      Link and text below, thank you much.
      Mike

      http://tinyurl.com/3nsjuqg

       SEA TO SUMMIT - ULTRA-SIL DRY SACK
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL
      IR
      June 30, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Pearl
      EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Woodstock, Vermont, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg)

      My backpacking experience began six years ago, after years of car camping. Most
      trips are for two or three days, some lasting a week. I hike with a group of two
      to four, with plans for a multi-day solo hike this summer. I pack a tent or tarp
      depending on availability of trail shelters. My average mileage is 15 mi (24
      km). While aware of weight, it is not my primary concern. I strive for enjoyable
      outings with functional, reliable gear. I usually travel in woodland mountain
      terrain. I am a three-season camper, but enjoy hiking all year.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Sea to Summit
      Year of Manufacture: 2011
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.seatosummit.com"
      LINK TEXT = "www.seatosummit.com">>
      MSRP: Not Listed
      Listed Weight: 1.4 oz (39.7 g)
      Measured Weight: 1.5 oz (42 g)
      Listed Dimensions: 8.5 x 21 in (21 x 53 cm)
      Measured Dimensions: 8 x 20 in (20 x 52 cm)
      Size Tested: 13 L (13.7 qt)
      Other Sizes Available: 1, 2, 4, 8, 20, 35 L (1, 2, 4, 8.5, 21, 37 qt)
      Color Tested:  Sky Blue
      Colors Available: Kiwi Green, Sky Blue and Orange
      Materials:  The body of the bag is made of Ultra-Sil, a 30 Denier siliconized
      CORDURA nylon with a
                          polyurethane inner coating.  The roll-top closure is a
      Hypalon strip and plastic side release
                          buckle.
      Features:  -2000 mm hydrostatic head
                         -double stitched and taped seams, tape sourced from Beamis a
      adhesives, coatings, specialty
                          films and seam tape company
                         -high thread count, 240 tpi
                         -siliconized finish makes packing easy
                         -non-wicking closure
                         -very lightweight

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Ultra-Sil Dry Sack arrived in small thin plastic sleeve.  Also included was
      a product information sheet.  The information provide is very similar to that
      found on the website.
      Taking the Ultra-Sil out of the packaging was like a magic trick.  A very large
      amount of material emerged  from a very small space.  The bag is very smooth and
      slick to the touch and extremely thin and light weight.  The stitching is even
      and straight and nicely taped.  The Sea to Summit logo is on one the side of the
      sack.  The closure is made of a Hypalon strip on one side.  Hypalon is a
      synthetic rubber noted for its resistance to chemicals, temperature extremes,
      and ultraviolet light.  This material does not wick moisture, helping to keep
      the sack dry.  The other side is a stiff strip of polypropylene.  This provides
      something to fold the sack down on.  Just under the Hypalon strip are two small
      tags.  One displays the sack size.  The other the fabric brand CORDURA.  So far
      I like what I see, the Ultra-Sil is well built sack.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      A small folding card found in the sack provides instructions in six languages.
      They are clear and concise.  Again a note that the Ultra-Sil is not intended for
      submersion.  Then to close; expel excess air, align top two edges and roll at
      least three times before securing the buckle.

      TIPS & FACTS

      From the Company Website
      -Sack must be closed according to directions to ensure waterproofing.  The
      Hypalon strip should be rolled
        down first and have at least three rolls before fastening the buckle.
       -Avoid contact with sharp objects or high abrasion surfaces
      -double bag any water sensitive devices
      -product is not intended for boating or marine use.
      From the Product Information Sheet
      -same closing technique described
      -avoid prolonged submersion
      -same precaution regarding electronics
      -solvents will damage waterproof coatings and seam sealing tapes.  Solvents
      include DEET and alcohol,
        i.e. mosquito repellents and spray sunscreens.  Do not write on dry sacks with
      solvent based permanent
        markers.
      -Frequent washing is advised to prevent embedded fine grain sands from wearing
      down the fabric.  Hand
        wash with non-detergent soap and air dry.  Do not machine dry.  Ensure sack is
      completely dry before
        storing.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I put a top and bottom baselayer and a down jacket in the sack.  All items three
      slid in nicely.  I folded the closure the recommended three times and closed the
      buckle.  The sack was very balloon like.  A large volume of air was trapped
      inside.  So I open it squeezed out the air and re-closed the sack.  This worked
      better making the Ultra-Sil much more manageable.  I guess things come with
      instructions for a reason.
      I then went outside and sprayed the Ultra-Sil with the garden hose full blast.
      The water rolled right off.  The contents were completely dry.  And a few good
      shakes and the Ultra-Sil is also relatively dry.
      I can't help but wonder if the direction the closure is loop when fastening the
      buckle matters.  After trying it both ways I found it is possible for the sack
      to unroll once in one of the looping directions.  This occurs when I roll the
      sack down with the Hypalon strip facing me and loop the the closure toward
      myself.  Guess it's not a big deal if the sack is rolled four times.  But could
      affect ability to remain waterproof if only making the recommended three folds.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I will be backpacking in Yellowstone National Park for eight days very soon.  I
      will use the  Ultra-Sil Dry Sack to hold my and water sensitive gear.  I will be
      testing for ability to keep my gear dry.  Other points of interest are how
      things will be organized inside the sack, how it works with my pack and
      durability

      SUMMARY

      The Ultra-Sil Dry Sack a nice piece of gear.  It is well made and easy to use.
      It provides a high level of water protection at a very low weight.  Streams and
      rivers here I come.
      This concludes my Initial Report.  In about two months time I will report again
      on performance in the field.  I would like to thank Sea to Summit and
      BackpackGearTest.org for being able to participate in this Test Series.

      Copyright 2011.  All rights reserved.
      and a Tips Sheet.

    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2011
        > James,
        > Link and text below, thank you much.
        > Mike
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/3nsjuqg
        >
        > SEA TO SUMMIT - ULTRA-SIL DRY SACK
        > TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL
        > IR
        > June 30, 2011
        >
        > TESTER INFORMATION
        >
        > NAME: Mike Pearl

        Hi Mike. You posted your report the day I left for an OOP for 10 days.
        Sorry about the delay.

        I noticed that you are now OOP, and have uploaded the report to the
        official folder. I went ahead and deleted it since you hadn't
        incorporated any edits yet (since you didn't have them). In the future,
        if you don't get edits for your report in a timely manner, just send a
        note to the list and someone will cover for the monitor if they are OOP.

        So anyway... Nice report. I have a few edits below. Please tend to those
        and then upload to the appropriate folder.

        Thanks Mike!

        James E. Triplett
        Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack Monitor

        +++++++++++++++++++++++

        My average mileage is 15 mi (24 km).
        [Edit] You might want to give the duration. "My average daily mileage"
        or "My average mileage is 15 mi (24 km) per day."

        Features: -2000 mm hydrostatic head
        -double stitched and taped seams, tape sourced from Beamis a adhesives,
        coatings, specialty films and seam tape company
        [EDIT] The "a" after Beamis seems out of place. I don't have the
        datasheet info, and this isn't covered on the website, so I'll trust your
        judgment. It should either be "an adhesives", or drop the "a" completely.
        [Comment] I would move -2000 mm hydrostatic head to the next line after
        "Features:" so that all the bulleted items line up.

        Features: -2000 mm hydrostatic head
        -double stitched and taped seams, tape sourced from Beamis a adhesives,
        coatings, specialty
        films and seam tape company
        [EDIT] The "a" after Beamis seems out of place. I don't have the
        datasheet info, and this isn't covered on the website, so I'll trust your
        judgment. It should either be "an adhesives", or drop the "a" completely.
        [Comment] I would move -2000 mm hydrostatic head to the next line after
        "Features:" so that all the bulleted items line up.

        The information provide is very similar to that found on the website.
        [EDIT] "provide" should be "provided".

        The Sea to Summit logo is on one the side of the sack.
        [EDIT] Remove "the" in "on one the side of"

        So far I like what I see, the Ultra-Sil is well built sack.
        [Edit] technically, the comma should be a semicolon.
        [EDIT] Add "a" as in "the Ultra-Sil is a well built sack."

        Again a note that the Ultra-Sil is not intended for submersion.
        [EDIT] This is the first time you mention this, so starting with "again"
        seems inappropriate.

        All items three slid in nicely.
        [EDIT] I think "items three" should be "three items".

        The contents were completely dry. And a few good shakes and the Ultra-Sil
        is also relatively dry.
        [Comment] Since the contents "were" (past tense) completely dry, I would
        change "the Ultra-Sil is" (present tense) to "the Ultra-Sil was".

        I can't help but wonder if the direction the closure is loop when
        fastening the buckle matters.
        [EDIT] I believe "loop" should be "looped".

        This occurs when I roll the sack down with the Hypalon strip facing me and
        loop the the closure toward myself.
        [EDIT] Remove one "the" from the "loop the the closure"

        But could affect ability to remain waterproof if only making the
        recommended three folds.
        [EDIT] At "it" to "But it could affect"

        Other points of interest are how things will be organized inside the sack,
        how it works with my pack and durability
        [EDIT] Please add a period at the end of this sentence.

        In about two months time I will report again on performance in the field.
        [EDIT] "months" should be "month's".

      • Mike Pearl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2011
          Hi James,

          Thanks for the edits and info regarding my OOP issue.
          I have Internet access for one night as bounce to my next destination.  And just my luck BGT site is down.
          I will upload when I have access again.

          Thanks,
          Mike