IR - Big Agnes Causeway Trekking Poles - Shane Williams

  • coloradosherpa14k
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hello John, I have posted the IR for the Big Agnes Causeway Trekking
      Poles. I hope you have a safe and happy Fourth of July!
      HTML Version: Big Agnes Causeway Trekking Poles
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Big%20Agnes\
      %20Causeway%20Trekking%20-%20Shane%20Williams/>
      Text Version:Tester Information:Name: Shane WilliamsEmail:
      sherpa[dot]colorado[at]gmail.comAge: 37Location: Colorado Springs,
      Colorado USAGender: MaleHeight: 6' 0" (1.83 m)Weight: 180 lb (82 kg)Bio:
      As a child I lived in the last house on a dead end street. Just beyond
      my house was a wilderness area. I started hiking and exploring there,
      and I've never stopped. I started backpacking in the South Eastern
      Appalachian Mountains, including portions of the Appalachian Trail.
      Today I primarily hike in the Colorado Rockies. My pack weight is
      approximately 30 lbs (13.61 kg) to 50 lbs (22.68 kg). I often carrying
      more gear than necessary hoping that I won't need it. I enjoy
      weekend excursions into the High Country with friends and lower
      elevation day trips with my family.
      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Big AgnesModel: GL145SAYear of Manufacture:
      2011Manufacturer's Website: http://www.bigagnes.comMSRP: 134.95 US $Max
      Lenght: 57.1 in (145 cm)Collapsed Lenght: 25.5 in (65 cm)Specified
      Weight: 16.4 oz (232 g) per pair
      (Product Specifications)
      (Product Technology)Product Features:
      Made by DAC, the leading manufacturer of tent poles, Helinox® poles
      incorporate many of the same advanced featuresGroove Lock- Internal
      grooves on the shaft create a positive mechanical engagement for
      absolute security without exposed buttons or levers.Anytime, anywhere,
      any load. Available with or without shock absorbers.Helinox poles are
      engineered with DAC's proprietary aluminum alloy, TH72M, which provides
      superior strength to weight characteristics.TH72M aluminum alloy is
      exclusive to Helinox trekking poles which results is incredibly
      lightweight poles.DAC Green Anodizing involves no nitric or phosphoric
      acid and greatly reduces water consumption by using recycled water for
      rinsing.Product Overview:
      The Big Agnes Causeway Helinox Trekking Poles have been designed as a 3
      section trekking pole. The upper section consists of an aluminum alloy
      shaft and foam handles constructed of non-hypoallergenic Ethylene Vinyl
      Acetate (EVA). The length of the upper section is 21 ¾ in (55 cm)
      from the tip of the handle to the bottom of the first groove lock. The
      handle has is comprised of 2 sections the first being the handle with an
      ergonomic grip which is 5 ½ in (13.97 cm). Below that an additional
      foam section extends down another 8 ½ in (21.59 cm). This lower
      section has an embossed crisscross pattern to aid in gripping. The top
      of the handle has a single piece webbing wrist strap that has reinforced
      padding sewn into the webbing. Between the bottom of the crisscross foam
      handle and bottom of the first section the aluminum alloy shaft is
      exposed with a blue coloring. The Helinox logo, the website and the
      model number is stylishly printed in silver.
      (Upper Handle Section)
      (Upper Shaft)The center section is 17 15/16 in (45.56 cm) in length and
      has equally placed "Grooves" at 1.97 in (5 cm) intervals. Each
      interval has the metric length printed to make it easy to gage the
      desired setting. In addition to the length notation, the section between
      45.28 in (115 cm) and 43.31 in (110 cm) has an icon along with the
      letters SA to signify that this model features Shock Absorbers. All
      printing of the center section is black lettering on a silver base.
      Additional printing is also found between 43.31 in 110 cm and 41.34 in
      (105 cm) denotes these trekking poles to feature the "Groove Lock
      System". This section also has printed the metrics for max length,
      collapsed length and weight.
      (Center Section)The lower section is 17 1/8 in (43.50 cm) in length and
      also has the first 5.91 in (15 cm) marked in 1.97 in (5 cm) intervals.
      Below these markings one side is adorned with the Helinox logo and the
      other side has phrase "Groove Lock System". As the lower section
      extends down it tapers to a point. A basket is positioned 2 ½ in
      (6.35 cm) above the tip and offers flotation in mud, sand or snow. The
      basket is removable and has a notch that can be used to break the basket
      loose. The tip is constructed to endure some of the most rugged terrain
      known to man. The tungsten carbide tip rates an impressive 9 on the Mohs
      scale, so it's constructed to last. The Causeway also comes with a
      rubber stoppers to cover the tip should you be using them on a surface
      that doesn't require rigorous traction.
      (Carbide Tip)The groove lock system is comprised internal gear mechanism
      that tightens as the section of the pole is turned counter clockwise.
      There are two groove locks per pole, one between the upper and middle
      section and another between the middle and lower sections. Both groove
      locks function identically. From the outside, the groove lock looks
      sleek and unassuming.
      (Groove Lock External)
      (Groove Lock Internal)Initial Impressions:
      The Big Agnes Causeway Trekking Poles are stylish and have a solid feel
      to their construction. While they do seem a little heavy, they are
      equipped with shock absorbers to help cushion a load. The wrist straps
      are simple to adjust and have added padding. The groove lock system is
      interesting. I look forward to seeing how the twist adjustments work in
      the field. I'm a little skeptical about the locking systems ability
      to stay fastened on long arduous hikes, hopefully I'm wrong. Upon
      receiving the Big Agnes Causeway Trekking Poles, I found them to be in
      mint condition without scratches, scrapes, dents, or defects.
      This concludes my Initial Report. Please come back in September for my
      follow-up Field Report on how these poles have preformed in the field. A
      special thanks to backpackgeartest.org and Big Agnes for the opportunity
      to be part of this test series.

    • coloradosherpa14k
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
        Ok, so this is a common problem that I've seen. When I preview my post prior to posting there are spaces within my text, but once it's posted, the spaces are removed. This causes it to be jumbled and difficult to read. Is there a trick to this? Any Recommendations?

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "coloradosherpa14k" <sherpa.colorado@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > The Big Agnes Causeway Trekking Poles are stylish and have a solid feel
        > to their construction. While they do seem a little heavy, they are
        > equipped with shock absorbers to help cushion a load. The wrist straps
        > are simple to adjust and have added padding. The groove lock system is
        > interesting. I look forward to seeing how the twist adjustments work in
        > the field. I'm a little skeptical about the locking systems ability
        > to stay fastened on long arduous hikes, hopefully I'm wrong. Upon
        > receiving the Big Agnes Causeway Trekking Poles, I found them to be in
        > mint condition without scratches, scrapes, dents, or defects.
        > This concludes my Initial Report. Please come back in September for my
        > follow-up Field Report on how these poles have preformed in the field. A
        > special thanks to backpackgeartest.org and Big Agnes for the opportunity

      • Pamela
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2011
          Shane, I just go through mine and add spaces or remove things that don't belong.

          Pam