IR (corrected) Past Primitive Deluxe Cook Kit - Lori Pontious

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2011
      Itchy mouse finger! Didn't paste the HTML link last version.

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/3dlwo4w

      I will edit this when I get back July 4.

      Past Primitive Deluxe Cook Kit
      Test Series by Lori Pontious

      INITIAL REPORT - June 29, 2011

      Tester Information

      NAME: Lori Pontious
      EMAIL: lori.pontious (at) gmail.com
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Fresno County, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5'7" (1.7 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (75 kg)

      I backpacked, camped and fished all over the lower 48 states with my
      family as a kid, and then life happened. I restarted these activities
      about four years ago - I dayhike or backpack 2-6 times a month. I am
      between light and ultralight. I have a hammock system and own a
      Tarptent. My base weight depends upon season and where I go.
      Product information

      Manufacturer: Past Primitive
      Manufacturer URL: www.pastprimitive.com
      Listed Weight, kit: 12 oz (340 g)
      Actual weight, kit: 10 oz (283 g)
      Stove weight: .8 oz (23 gm)
      Container (drinking and mixing bowls, plus ring) weight: 2.2 oz (62 g)
      Fuel bottle weight: 1.15 oz (33 g)
      Pot and lid weight: 2.4 oz (68 g)
      Pot lifter weight: 1.25 oz (37 g)
      Syringe weight: .2 oz (8 g)
      Foam gripper weight: .1 oz (3 g)
      Windscreen weight: 1 oz (28 g)
      Microbytes utensils weight: .7 oz (21 g)
      MSRP: $75.99

      Product Description
      The Past Primitive Deluxe Cook Kit (aka the kit) is based around the
      Keyhole Classic Stove (aka the stove), one of two alcohol stoves made
      by Past Primitive. The kit consists of a storage container/bowl set,
      a Microbytes spork and spatula set, a syringe for measuring fuel into
      the stove, a foam holding pad, a pot lifter, windscreen, 8 oz (237
      ml) fuel bottle, and 21 oz (621 ml) pot with lid. The stove features
      a built-in primer ring base and removable pot stand.

      The kit also includes safety warnings and instructions for using the
      stove. The fuels recommended for this stove are ethanol, methanol or
      isopropyl alcohol; I will be using either ethanol (denatured alcohol)
      or methanol (methyl alcohol, usually found in stores here in
      California as HEET in a yellow bottle). I prefer not to use isopropyl
      with alcohol stoves as it leaves soot on the pot.

      Having used a number of alcohol stoves prior to the Keyhole Classic,
      I appreciate of the quality of the stove. Most alcohol stoves are
      made of recycled materials and this one is no exception. Like so many
      stoves I have tried to make, the body of the stove is made of soda
      cans. The base and primer pan is a mason jar lid. Unlike so many
      stoves I have tried to make, the components of the stove are put
      together well, without gaps or creases in the aluminum. The jets are
      evenly spaced. The pot stand stays in place when seated. The pot is a
      burnished aluminum can with threads, and a lid that screws closed.
      (The lid should not be closed while the pot is on the lit stove.)

      All the components fit neatly inside the 4 cup base with room for a
      lighter. The kit takes up slightly less space than one of my camp
      shoes. I am not certain whether that is a reflection on the size of
      the kit or the size of my feet!

      Images 1 & 2

      Initial Report

      I set up the stove on the front porch for a trial burn. The stove
      holds up to 1.5 oz (44.36 ml) of fuel; I used the syringe to add 0.68
      oz (20 ml) and then put a little in the primer ring. I didn't add
      enough in the primer and the stove went out. My second attempt the
      stove primed and blossomed, and I put the pot full of water on, set
      the windscreen in place, and timed the boil. At 2 minutes 30 seconds
      there were bubbles. At 4 minutes 30 seconds I noted rapid bubbling.
      The stove ran for six minutes and sixteen seconds before burning out.
      I noticed that the flames lost their intensity about ten seconds
      before going out. I used the pot lifter to move the pot from the
      burner, and used the foam to grip the pot to pour the water. All
      items worked as expected.

      The syringe does make precision possible; the stove has a very small
      center hole, and without the syringe I can see how difficult it would
      be to fuel the stove without losing some in the process. The Keyhole
      Classic Stove, according to the manufacturer's website, will boil a
      pint of water with .6 oz (18 ml) of fuel, so it should be possible to
      boil the amount of water I need with a minimum of fuel waste. I
      heated 2 cups, 5 oz (621 ml) to a temperature that would have been
      acceptable to me for hot beverages. This is all I need and will allow
      me to save fuel, since I filter all my water - I don't need a rolling
      boil to sterilize the water and I am fine with a little extra waiting
      for rehydrating meals.

      Over the next two months, I will be monitoring fuel economy,
      performance at varying temperatures and elevations, and using the
      various components of the kit to eat, drink and be merry on the
      trail. My thanks to Past Primitive and to Backpack Gear Test for the
      opportunity to test this light, comprehensive little kit on my
      adventures.