Owner Reviews, Test Reports and BGT Copywrite Rules

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2011
      FYI - Please note!

      Some of you may have noticed Michael Bloch's Owner Reviews are now missing
      from the BackpackGearTest.org website. Michael emailed the Moderators last
      week to say he needs to drop out of BackpackGearTest.org. Michael has
      submitted his FR on his only test and hopefully will submit his LTR as
      required

      However, Michael deleted all of his Owner Reviews from the site. This is a
      clear violation of the rules BackpackGearTest.org members subscribe to, as
      set out in the Survival Guide, Chapter 1: "All Owner Reviews and Test
      Reports become the sole
      property of BackpackGearTest.org when they are posted to the list, and when
      they are uploaded to the BackpackGearTest.org site. By submitting an Owner
      Review or applying for a Test Series, you are agreeing to all the
      stipulations in these bylaws."

      BGT is willing to work with testers but we also must honor our contracts
      with manufacturers. As we all know, sometimes life happens. If a tester is
      not able to continue a test the gear must be returned so another tester can
      complete the test.

      Manufacturers provide us with gear to test free of charge. Their expectation
      is that they are exchanging gear for our time and expertise in testing, and
      for the public disclosure of our findings.

      Why are we writing today? Because copyright and intellectual property laws
      are complicated, and it may not be immediately apparent that the simple act
      of deleting a report from the BackpackGearTest.org website can lead to
      violations of contract.

      There's nothing in this email that should scare anyone--but please remember
      that once your test reports and owner reviews are written, they are no
      longer your sole property.

      Thanks very much! As always, if you have questions, we'd love to hear them.

      Kathy (and the rest of the Mods)