LTR - Sea to Summit - Big River - David Wyman

  • Dave Wyman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      Here is the URL:

      http://tinyurl.com/LTR-BigRiver-DW

      and the text:

      Long Term Report - June 1, 2011
      Trips Taken

      I made it down to the beach for a week in April, just outside of
      Charleston, South Carolina, and was able to get quite a bit use out of
      this dry sack. Two nights camping on the beach in 70 F (21 C) weather
      and a sailing trip, on rougher seas than were expected, really let me
      put the sack through its paces. One of the nights on the beach had
      perfect weather with no rain at all while the other had scattered
      showers that would last for a few minutes before moving on.
      Additionally, I got out for a more normal, two-night backpacking trip in
      Raccoon Creek State Park with temps in the 60s F (15 - 20 C) with one
      small rainstorm while I was hiking.

      Thoughts and Impressions

      While camping on the beach, I had to deal with quite a bit of sand
      blowing around and my tarp, which may have protected my hammock from the
      rain, didn't protect anything beneath my hammock from the sand. I kept
      my cooking gear and food inside the sack and hung it from one of the
      straps I use to hang my hammock. It hung low enough to rest on the
      ground and when I woke each morning, a small sand dune had formed around
      it. I was grateful that the dry sack worked well enough to krep the sand
      out. The second night had the addition of several scattered showers
      which, when combined with the sand, really made a mess of the gear I had
      on the ground but did not affect anything inside the dry sack.

      I was also able to use the dry sack while sailing around Charleston. I
      kept everyone's car keys, wallets, and cell phones inside the bag and
      sealed it up. I left a decent amount of air inside to help the bag float
      in case it went overboard but, fortunately, that didn't happen. The seas
      got a bit rougher than expected and we got quite a bit of spray during
      the trip but everything stayed dry inside the sack.

      The trip to Raccoon Creek was a pleasant, two day and night trip. I did
      get caught in one brief rainstorm while hiking and I was glad that my
      sleeping bag and clothing were packed inside the dry sack. I also
      discovered that the dry sack can function reasonably well as a pillow!
      Since it was warmer out, I didn't have an extra fleece jacket to ball up
      and use as a pillow so I sealed up the dry sack and left some air
      inside. I then stuffed it inside one of my extra shirts to make it a
      little softer. I also ran a small piece of cord through the tie-out and
      clipped it to the upper/head end of my hammock - this kept the sack in
      place all night long. It was a little large to be totally comfortable,
      but it was certainly better than nothing!

      Summary

      Likes:
      Seems very rugged
      Big enough for extra clothing or a sleeping bag
      Works well as a food bag
      Can be used as a pillow

      Dislikes:
      None so far
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
        Nice report
        As usual, EDIT - edit, edit - change to something like that, comment - just
        that.
        Upload when edits are done and delete from test folder.

        "I was grateful that the dry sack worked well enough to krep the sand out."
        EDIT - keep

        That's all I found