Test Application - Snugpak Softie Crysalis Micro Sleeping Bag - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 10:09 AM
      Snugpak Softie Crysalis Micro Sleeping Bag Test
      Application

      Please review and accept my application to test the
      Snugpak Softie Crysalis Micro Sleeping Bag. I have
      read the Survival guide 1202 and in particular chapter
      5 and agree to follow all guidelines within.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 35
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’0” (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs. (79 kg)

      Email address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com

      City, State, Country: Greenville, S.C. United States

      Date: September 1, 2005

      Backpacking Background:
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the
      outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking for the past ten years. I
      consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying
      20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in
      length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3
      kph). I am a one man tent camper for now until
      something I like better comes along. I like to carry a
      single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve
      stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the
      trail as often as I can.

      Field Information:
      I plan to test the Snugpak Softie Crysalis Micro
      Sleeping Bag at these locations and under these
      conditions:

      Smokey Mountains
      Planned trips: I plan on hitting trails here at least
      4 nights
      Conditions: The winter months in this area can be
      pretty brutal; cold rain and snow.
      Elevation: 5500 to 6500 ft (1676 to 1981 m)
      Temperatures and precipitation average for this
      testing period:
      September: HI (60 F / 15 C) LO (47 F / 8 C) 5 in (12
      cm) precipitation
      October: HI (53 F / 11 C) LO (38 F / 3 C) 5 in (12
      cm) precipitation
      November: HI (42 F / 5 C) LO (28 F / -2 C) 6 in (15
      cm) precipitation
      December: HI (37 F / 2 C) LO (21 F / -6 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation
      January: HI (35 F / 1 C) LO (19 F / -7 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation

      Jones Gap
      Planned trips: I plan to go on several spur of the
      moment trips here. I would say at least 2 to 4 nights
      per month so that would make 8 to 16 nights during the
      test period. I will also be doing several day hikes in
      this area.
      Conditions: The temperatures don’t get too bad until
      November and December but coming off the summer months
      the rain and humidity makes up for it in September and
      October.
      Elevation: 4500 to 5500 ft (1372 to 1676 m)
      Temperatures and precipitation average for this
      testing period:
      September: HI (84 F / 29 C) LO (56 F / 13 C) 7 in
      (17 cm) precipitation
      October: HI (82 F / 28 C) LO (38 F / 3 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation
      November: HI (78 F / 26 C) LO (27 F / -2 C) 5 in (12
      cm) precipitation
      December: HI (67 F / 19 C) LO (12 F / -11 C) 2 in (5
      cm) precipitation
      January: HI (72 F / 22 C) LO (14 F / -10 C) 1 in (2
      cm) precipitation

      Background for this test:
      I currently use a Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag
      during the cold winter months with temperatures
      ranging in the mid 20 F (-6.66 C) to mid 30 (-1.10 C).
      During the Fall and Spring months I do not have a
      light weight bag to keep the cool breeze and a few
      unexpected low temperatures from making me cold. I use
      a fleece blanket and a fleece cover to go over my
      sleeping pad. This has two faults, for one it has to
      many gaps that cold air can seep in and two, it’s
      heavy. This bag would be perfect for this situation
      and it is light too.

      Test Plan:

      If I am chosen for this test I will conduct a full
      examination of weight, length and other statistics
      that the web site claims. Other types of observations
      would be made and noted.

      Fabric and Loft:
      • How does the fabric feel inside if I tend to sweat?
      Does it feel clammy?
      • Does the fabric stain very easy?
      • Is the fabric to slick to stay on a mattress pad?
      • If the bag is washable, will it hold up to numerous
      wash and dry cycles? Will it lose its loft?
      • Does the outside repel water such as light rain,
      dampness from a leaking tent, or even hot liquids?
      • My tent will sometimes condensate inside and begin
      to drip moisture on my bag, will I feel this moisture
      through the bag? Will it make the bag start to
      condensate?
      • If it becomes wet, how fast will it dry?

      Length and Width:
      • How variable is the length system?
      • Will I fit in this variable?
      • Is it to long for most one and two person tents?
      • Will my feet reach the foot box for its intended
      use?
      • I sleep on my stomach with my elbows out and my
      hands under my head, will I have room to do this in
      this bag or will I have to change my sleeping
      arrangement?

      Other features:
      • How well does the hood fit my head?
      • Are the draw cords easy to see and reach?
      • Will it compress smaller than manufactures
      specifications?
      • Will the loft be damaged if compressed to small?
      • How well does the baffle keep cold air from entering
      the bag?

      I hope to answer most, if not all, of these questions
      in my Field and Long Term Report. If I am chosen to
      test the Snugpak Softie Crysalis Micro Sleeping Bag, I
      will conduct a full examination of the shoes and all
      of its features. I have assessed my current work load
      as a tester and I am aware of the projected due dates
      for this test and I feel that this test will not
      hinder any of my upcoming reports. See below for
      current phase of gear that I am testing. Three of the
      five tests will be completed before this test begins.
      Thank you Snugpak and BGT for the opportunity to be
      considered for this test.

      Gear that I am currently testing and their progress
      phase:
      Ultimate Direction Cohiba Backpack: Long Term Field
      Testing (LTR due Sept. 13, 05)
      Inka Pen: Initial Report Phase (IR posted for edts)
      Petzel Tikka Headlamp: Not yet received

      Currently Monitor for:
      IBEX Outdoor Clothing Approach Tights
      Tilley Endurables LTM6
      “A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike” Book

      Currently a Mentor for:
      Dave Hjelmar

      Completed Tests:
      Titanium Goat Vertex 5 Tent
      Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp
      OR Motion Fleece Balaclava
      OR Celestial Gaiters
      Princeton Tec Scout Headlamp
      Xikar 138 Excel Knife
      OR Hydrolite Stuff Sack
      Paxtons Sandle Saver
      Big Agnes Hog Park Sleeping Bag
      Big Agnes REM Hinman Sleeping Pad
      Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent
      Macabi Skirt for Men
      Frogg Toggs Pro Sport Suit
      Shock Doctor Ultra 2 Footbeds
      Thorlo Level 3 Hiking Socks

      Owner Reviews Uploaded:
      Gregory Lassen Backpack
      Mountain Hardware Nickel Cigar Sleeping Bag
      Coleman Camp Stool`
      Moonstone Rain Jacket
      Apple iPod 40 GB

      2 Previously Written Reports:
      OR Motion Fleece Balaclava:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/OR%20Motion%20Fleece%20Balaclava/Chuck%20Carnes/Long%20Term%20Report/

      OR Celestial Gaiters:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Gaiters/Outdoor%20Research%20Celestial%20Gaiters/Chuck%20Carnes/Long%20Term%20Report/

      Other Reviews and Reports By Chuck Carnes:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ctcarnes1

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs