FR CLIF Bar Assortment Jenn K.

  • jennbgt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      Well just barely late. :(

      Pat: Here is my FR for the CLIF Bars.

      Thank you in advance for the edits.

      Here is the HTML

      Field Report
      May 31, 2011

      I have enjoyed consuming this CLIF Bars assortment while backpacking, biking, camping, and hiking since January. They have provided me nourishment in the Southern California Mountains and local parks. The CLIF Bars have also journeyed with me to Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, and Southern Nevada. This means that the CLIF Bars have been exposed to various temperatures and climates. The temperatures ranged from the upper 20's F (-3 C) to the high 80's F (31 C). The bars become harder in cooler temperatures, but I can still bite them and chew them with no issues or broken teeth. In warmer temperatures they became soft, but not gooey.

      The package is a little bit hard to open. I would like to see a notch at the top. I either have to use my teeth to open it or use a multi-function tool (scissors or knife). I have tried to open it with my hands and I am still waiting to be successful.

      The CLIF bars have been a good substitute for a breakfast meal or a quick snack before an activity. On long outings they gave me that extra caloric boost that I needed. All the flavors are tolerable to consume, but I have a sweet tooth and the fruit flavored bars are a true hit with me. I also enjoyed the taste of the bars with the nutty flavoring. The chocolate flavors are not much of a hit for me. They are tolerable and that is about it. I love chocolate, but these are a little heavy on the flavor and leave an odd taste in my mouth; except for the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut, which I truly love. None of the flavors made me sick in the stomach and they satisfied my cravings while in the outdoors.

      My Thoughts on the Flavors:
      Apricot: This flavor is a hit with me; well of course it is since I already said I like the fruity flavors. I do not particularly care for apricots, but for some reason I am a fan of this bar's fruity taste. There is the taste of a lemon flavor dominates this bar. Maybe I like it because it does not taste like an apricot.

      Banana Nut Bread: This bar has a distinctive nut taste, but it has a mellow banana flavoring. The flavoring is not as strong as the other fruit flavored bars. I really like this flavor as it is not too over powering.

      Carrot Cake: I love carrot cake or anything that has the word "cake" in it. I would say that this bar does not have the punch of carrots or cake. It tastes like a sweet desert, but one I can not identify. I like this bar and I would say it is one of my favorites in this line-up.

      Chocolate Almond Fudge: Well here we are with the chocolate flavors that I am not a fan of. This bar has an odd initial taste and after taste in my opinion. The almonds do not offer much flavoring to the pseudo chocolate flavoring of this bar.

      Chocolate Brownie: This bar has the best true chocolate taste of all the bars in this line-up. However, it has an odd after taste and it is very heavy on the chocolate flavoring.

      Chocolate Chip: This bar is the most tolerable of the chocolate bars in my opinion. The chocolate taste is very subtle and not heavy.

      Cool Mint Chocolate: Another chocolate bar that I am not a fan of. I am a chocolate fan I swear. This bar just does not do anything for my taste buds. It has a subtle mint flavor, but an odd after taste.

      Crunchy Peanut Butter: This bar is one of my favorites. It has a nutty flavor with a slight taste of peanut butter.

      Maple Nut: This is a sweet tasting bar with a nutty flavor that I can not pin point. I found it to be tasty.

      Oatmeal Raisin Walnut: Mild flavoring all the way here with this bar. However, it is good and has a wholesome taste.

      White Chocolate Macadamia Nut: This bar is my favorite of the bunch! It has a nutty flavor with a slight white chocolate flavoring and no bad after taste. Yummy!

      Food taste is very objective. What one person may find pleasant tasting another may not. I have enjoyed this test because I got to sample many varieties of CLIF Bars that I would not even think about purchasing. And the funny thing is that I love chocolate, but I am not a fan of the chocolate CLIF Bars as I prefer the nutty and fruity flavors. Maybe I am just nutty :).

      Things That Rock:
      Natural and organic ingredients
      Good source of protein, vitamins/minerals, and fiber
      Wide selection of flavors
      Good quick source of calories
      Things That Are So-So:
      I would like to see the opening notched

      This concludes my reporting of the CLIF Bars. Thank you Clif Bar & Company and backpackgeartest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test the CLIF Bars.
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
        Hi Jenn,

        A very nicely written report. The only thing I found was that I believe this should be a Lon-term Report, as opposed to a Field Report in the title. Other than that, I didn't see anything else. Please remember to delete the file from the Tests folder.