APPLICATION - Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011
      Andrea,

      Please accept my application for the Ultra-Sil Dry sacks.

      1. DISCLOSURE

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 35
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
      Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast. I prefer simple, multi-use gear that I can rely on in a variety of conditions.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

      Most of my testing will be in the high desert of northern Arizona, with occasional trips along the Mogollon Rim. Elevation is around 7,000 ft (2,130 m). Located in a high desert, northern Arizona boasts a wide-range of conditions, with summer monsoons, moderate high daytime temperatures, and low temperatures during the night.

      I have monthly overnight trips planned with the Boy Scouts, along with a few solo trips and multiple day hikes in between. In July, we've planned a week-long "50-miler" trip along the Arizona Trail for the younger scouts that includes backpacking, canoeing, and mountain biking.

      Instead of a pack cover, I prefer internal waterproof sacks to protect my gear. The 8 and 13 L sacks would be perfect for my sleeping quilts (top and bottom for my hammock system), clothing, and my 10-essentials bag. I prefer lightweight bags and these fit the bill. I could also use the 13 L as a make-shift pillow (filled with a little air) since it won't leak (hopefully!).

      I hope to make it into Clear Creek this summer for some wet canyoneering, and these bags would do double duty as water protection and also aid in floatation.

      4. CURRENT TESTS & PREVIOUS REPORTS

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      OR Backstop Gloves - LTR - Jun 28
      Chaos Skully Cap - LTR - Jun 28
      Fenix MC10 Light - Awaiting shipment mid-June?

      Report Uploads: 10 @ -1

      5. OWNER REVIEWS

      I have completed five (5) owner reviews in the last year.

      6. APPLICATIONS PENDING

      * Past Primitive Cook Kit

      7. EXTRA DUTIES

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor, editor, and call manager.

      I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new
      BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.

      Best,

      ~derek